Create "Good Deal Economy" and "Good Deal Premium" forums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Create "Good Deal Economy" and "Good Deal Premium" forums

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2012, 4:17 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I am pro a separate "Premium deals" forum. I have no well formed opinion on the economy deals but I am leaning towards "remove it and let Milage runs handle all"

I have the exact same view as armagebedar as to why there should be some kind of threshold.

There are many good deals that are not mistake fares. The economy deals are mostly for the fast moving crowd, but for premium deals we (the participants) often need a bit more time to find out if it can fit our needs. Knowing that the thread is not wide open and so non-mistakes good-deals will live a bit longer would only be a good thing.

A premium mistake-fare (presumably short-lived ) could easily fit into the normal thread of milage runs instead.

Making Premium deal into a forum would also open up for some more structure. With some help of moderators the main thread of premium deals could keep focus on the deals and specific discussions around them, while more general discussions could move to better places.

Added to above - I am here assuming that the new forum would still include a master "Premium deals" thread. If the intention is to make every deal a separate thread, I am against the proposal.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 27, 2012 at 7:13 am Reason: merge posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 6:59 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by intuition

There are many good deals that are not mistake fares. The economy deals are mostly for the fast moving crowd, but for premium deals we (the participants) often need a bit more time to find out if it can fit our needs. Knowing that the thread is not wide open and so non-mistakes good-deals will live a bit longer would only be a good thing.

A premium mistake-fare (presumably short-lived ) could easily fit into the normal thread of milage runs instead.
Agreed, I find myself mulling over these premium deals for a few days. Would prefer a bit more restricted access for those with a set minimum post count.

Last edited by GuyverII; Sep 27, 2012 at 7:07 am
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by intuition

Added to above - I am here assuming that the new forum would still include a master "Premium deals" thread. If the intention is to make every deal a separate thread, I am against the proposal.
I read (and add when I can) to premium deals. The reality is there are not a lot of posts to this thread. 1,850 for the year so far... on pace for 2,400-2,500.

Making this thread a forum will mean clicking up down into individual threads for 1-2 posts and probably a lot of redundancy. e.g. a deal on Delta from east coast cities is a post. When AA matches, some one could post in a new thread, or post in the "Delta thread"... and what happens when the midwest cities are added to the deal? More threads or add to existing thread(s).

I would suggest leaving Premium as-is.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: UA
After some more thought one issue I have is that the premium deals thread gets very cluttered with discussions that are sometimes helpful but nevertheless the relation between a premium fare deal vs added discussions is probably 1:10, for 1 deal u get at least 9 more posts with questions or other issues.
Is there a way to keep the deal from the discussions a little more separated ? Its probably not easily possible in the existing structure but what would help is to have the deals in one thread and if I want to read or follow up on discussions for this particular deal then click through to them.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Mileage run deals needs to be restricted to members who are signed in.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 6:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Friday afternoon is a s-l-o-w day - yet at this moment, 1649 hrs / 4:49 PM Pacific on Friday, 28 Sep 2012, we have 281 (110 members & 171 guests) browsing the Mileage Run Deals Forum.

I am not a denizen of that forum, but it may say something to those of you discussing the pros and cons, whether the MRD forum should be open only to those signed in or / and only to those with 180 days / 180 posts.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
Friday afternoon is a s-l-o-w day - yet at this moment, 1649 hrs / 4:49 PM Pacific on Friday, 28 Sep 2012, we have 281 (110 members & 171 guests) browsing the Mileage Run Deals Forum.
Likely thanks to the still glowing embers of another ex RGN deal fire sale which blew up last night and is only dying down now it's been pulled.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:38 pm

The Forum seems to get more action than we might otherwise believe. Slow Saturday noonish Pacific and yet - 256 (83 members & 173 guests).

1 member to 2 guests; wow!

Originally Posted by tcook052
Likely thanks to the still glowing embers of another ex RGN deal fire sale which blew up last night and is only dying down now it's been pulled.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:08 pm

Programs: SK Lifetime EB*G, HHonors Diamond, BalticMiles VIP, Turkish Airlines Miles@Smiles, Club Carlson
Originally Posted by JDiver
The Forum seems to get more action than we might otherwise believe.
Sure. With quite possible emerging of something like closed elite, so to say "Inner Party" (see Orwell's "1984") it's well worth to listen if / how do I get in ;-)

On topic: Speaking seriously, except massive real life personal checks (probably unaffordable to FT) there will be no way to keep out airline representatives anyway, should they wish to join such closed society. Or to detect if / when somebody might simply make some offer to hypothetical already existing member... Pardon me being maybe too skeptical.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by hbush
On topic: Speaking seriously, except massive real life personal checks (probably unaffordable to FT) there will be no way to keep out airline representatives anyway, should they wish to join such closed society. Or to detect if / when somebody might simply make some offer to hypothetical already existing member... Pardon me being maybe too skeptical.
No matter how secretive such a forum is, we always will face the risk that popular bloggers will catch wind of it and post it in a far less private venue for the world to see. Many of the top bloggers have high post counts, so post-count restrictions are moot. Banning people from sharing the information they learn is unenforceable.

I'm pro-additional forums as it'd improve organization (and mean I don't have to sift through a massive good deals thread periodically).
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
I'm for creating the forums if they are hidden until members have proven some staying power, like 1000 posts.

A great premium deal deserves to be shared. Since it will be pulled anyway, share it before it dies.

What use is keeping something like the RGN fare a secret? People won't book more than 1 or 2 of those. It requires positioning to a fairly unusual place.

Why not let others find it, on a limited basis, until it is pulled?
Old Sep 29, 2012, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by seacarl
I'm for creating the forums if they are hidden until members have proven some staying power, like 1000 posts.
Careful as so high a threshold would disqualify you.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
Careful as so high a threshold would disqualify you.
I'll take that risk. I don't post a lot, but I'm really not worried about reaching 1000
Old Sep 29, 2012, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by seacarl
I'll take that risk. I don't post a lot, but I'm really not worried about reaching 1000
I could always go to some PWP
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:20 pm

I am neither advocating pro or con, merely passing on some observations.

Airline personnel already monitor fora limited to 180 / 180 posters, such as The Coupon Connection. There is no doubt they are here. But what might be debatable is how often they check in, and how many would actually register (one can lurk the forum already without even signing up or in), and how many would actually register and persist sufficiently.

I don't know those answers, obviously; it's merely grist for the mill.

I also don't know if a very high posts/days threshold would be contemplated, as it might not be in synch with what FT does already.

Originally Posted by hbush
Sure. With quite possible emerging of something like closed elite, so to say "Inner Party" (see Orwell's "1984") it's well worth to listen if / how do I get in ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.