Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Create "Good Deal Economy" and "Good Deal Premium" forums

Create "Good Deal Economy" and "Good Deal Premium" forums

Old Aug 17, 12, 5:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by German Expat View Post
I like the idea of 2 new forums. I would also not like to limit the deals to CPM since especially on the premium fares it is very subjective.
For people that are used to pay 5k+ to fly rFom the US to Asia a good deal might already be 3.5k which for other people that are more flexible where they go to this is way too high.
Same if you are locked into a high priced departure airport where a good deal threshold can be a lot higher then the generally accepted CPM's that are discussed a lot of times.
Just make sure the header contains the key information (departure airport, CPM, , total costs, airline etc.) so people don't need to spend time too much time reading if it won't hit their criteria.
If we go with the 2 new "Good Deals" forums and there is no CPM limit for posts in the MR Deals forum, how will people know whether to post a deal in the MR Deals forum or in the Good Deals forum? And how can we prevent people from getting flamed for posting something in the "wrong" forum without a published guideline for people to follow? (I'm not saying publishing a CPM is ideal, and I understand the desire to avoid a specific CPM target for the MR forum....I'm just concerned that FT users will continue to waste time getting upset with each other for posting in the "wrong" location, which ultimately requires more time and effort from the mods to prevent.)
Old Aug 17, 12, 6:27 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles DM/MM, Peninsula regular, amanjunkie

There aren't enough Good Deal Premium Fares to warrant a separate forum on that subject with separate (very short) fares for that thread. And we don't need to make it any easier for the airlines or TA's to sniff out the good deals we find and kill them sooner rather than later.

Keep the forums as they are.
Old Aug 17, 12, 7:20 am

Programs: VS, CO, BA
Id like to see a separate forum for good deal premium fares and as a leisure traveller the cpm don't really both me - its the fare that counts...
Old Aug 17, 12, 8:31 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And another question.....

What's to prevent a "good deal" thread from being "mis-posted" in the regular mileage run forum and vv where the moderators have to then move (or decide to move or not move) the thread? I see this as creating more work for what in some cases could be a very short lived subject-yes some good fares are long lived but I just see this is creating more work for something that works well the way it is
Old Aug 17, 12, 10:09 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
I'm supportive of the new proposed forum structure.
Old Aug 17, 12, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
I do not support creating a new forum for good deal premium travel. The existing thread doesn't get nearly enough traffic to warrant a separate forum, and I personally prefer being able to subscribe to the individual thread to get instant email notification of new posts.

I would, however, support creating a companion "Good Deal Premium Fare Discussion" thread in the "Mileage Run Discussion" forum. I think that there is a lot of chatter in the deals thread that would be better served in a separate thread.
Old Aug 17, 12, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, LATAM Black, BA-Blues
Originally Posted by Sykes View Post
The existing thread doesn't get nearly enough traffic to warrant a separate forum
Indeed, I hardly visit the "Good Deal s - Premium Fares" threads because they are so unwieldy. A forum would allow posts about similar fares to be strung together, making the useful information more easily accessible.

Furthermore - as many of these fares are valid for several years, a forum in which to discuss them would obviate the need for the current annual divisions.

Lastly - it would be handy to be able to find discussion about fares for places I'm interested in originating or visiting. With the current megathreads, it's simply too much of a headache to wade through. A sub-forum structure would help this.
Old Aug 17, 12, 6:46 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG Plat,
I'm in support of a Premium Fares subforum.

I not a mileage runner plus I fly out of a small airport in Canada. The bulk of the discussion in Mileage Run Deals really isn't for me. However, I do frequent the Premium fares thread because I'm a leisure traveler always looking to save a few bucks in C class long haul flights.
Old Aug 17, 12, 7:56 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
I'm in favor of premium and economy deals sub-forums. The existing mega-threads are painful to peruse.
Old Aug 18, 12, 5:03 am

I support the new structure
Old Aug 18, 12, 5:57 am
formerly known as DeltaNYC

Programs: *A Gold / OW Sapphire / SPG Plat / Hilton Gold
I support the proposed structure as well. The current model for posting the premium fares is remarkably inefficient.
Old Aug 18, 12, 6:43 am

+1 for forums.

The current structure is far too disorganized. It's too easy for a useful post to be buried among discussions of others (or tangents). What is most frustrating to me is that it's almost impossible take a quick glimpse at what's new. You've got to sift through mounds of other posts to find those gems, and that defeats the spirit of FlyerTalk.

A setup similar to the Mileage Run forums would be most welcome.
Old Aug 18, 12, 6:53 am

Programs: SK*G, Club Carlson Gold, A-Club Platinum
I think this is a brilliant idea.

For me, 95% of the runs are irrelevant, however I still read up every day. Having a thread per run would greatly simplify the amount of noise I need to scan through to look for the interesting 5%.
Old Aug 18, 12, 7:30 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
I support 2 new forums... impossible to keep track of the threads.
Old Aug 19, 12, 5:37 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by German Expat View Post
I like the idea of 2 new forums. I would also not like to limit the deals to CPM since especially on the premium fares it is very subjective.
For people that are used to pay 5k+ to fly rFom the US to Asia a good deal might already be 3.5k which for other people that are more flexible where they go to this is way too high.
Same if you are locked into a high priced departure airport where a good deal threshold can be a lot higher then the generally accepted CPM's that are discussed a lot of times.
Just make sure the header contains the key information (departure airport, CPM, , total costs, airline etc.) so people don't need to spend time too much time reading if it won't hit their criteria.
+1 a very balanced and reasonable perspective

create two fora but do not create thresholds for CPM - too subjective (particularly for premium)

existing thread for premium is a headache with multiple conversations going on at one time - it really would be more useful as a forum

if you sort threads based on posts, the "Good Deals" near the top so no doubt it would be an attractive destination and I would suspect would get more posting, comments... if in a forum structure

Last edited by JMN57; Aug 19, 12 at 9:05 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread