Search

Motion Passed: Create a Korea Forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH/SPG Peonium, Natl, Bud, Oregon Wines on Broadway Wineaux
Yes, please implement a Korea forum.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I find these debates fascinating, especially when there's a voter population I can count on my digits.

Can I ask, in all seriousness, what the benefits of a separate forum might be? I occasionally look at another UK airline's form (VS, if you must ask) to find I'm the only person there. But perhaps there are hordes of Korea-philes just waiting for this magic moment ... Or are they already on here?

Sorry, I really don't get it.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: Skyteam
Only the TB votes. There are enough TB members enough for 2 hands.
First, you need to familiarize with how voting works around here.
Second, Korea-philes comprises of people who visits Asiana Airlines Forum, Korean Airlines Forum, and Asia Forum... and others.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skchin
Only the TB votes. There are enough TB members enough for 2 hands.
First, you need to familiarize with how voting works around here.
Second, Korea-philes comprises of people who visits Asiana Airlines Forum, Korean Airlines Forum, and Asia Forum... and others.
Yes, I know how it works

Anyway, a fair point ... But they (the relevant FTers) are not expressing a view here. That was my point.

Sheesh ... I only fly BA and never to the Far East. I'm just taking a general perspective on this thread.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by T8191

Anyway, a fair point ... But they (the relevant FTers) are not expressing a view here. That was my point.
That was done here during the forum discussion previous to the voting announcement.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...stination.html
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That was done here during the forum discussion previous to the voting announcement.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...stination.html
Aaaaahhhhh ... I just responded loyally to the headline post.

I shall crawl away now.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:19 pm
DH

I vote for the forum. ^
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lkar
As Korea is a place I hope one day to visit, I would be very happy with a dedicated forum to help me learn.
+1. I see a Korea in my 3-5 year travel goals and would like to cultivate a knowledge base prior to needing it. A separate forum would likely stimulate the questions and hopefully answers.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I support whole-heartedly.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 5:39 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by T8191
Can I ask, in all seriousness, what the benefits of a separate forum might be? I occasionally look at another UK airline's form (VS, if you must ask) to find I'm the only person there. But perhaps there are hordes of Korea-philes just waiting for this magic moment ... Or are they already on here?

Sorry, I really don't get it.
No need to apologize. You are not alone in this.

For someone like me who read every post and every threads in both TB Topics Forum and Asia Forum for years, I don't get it either.

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Originally Posted by lkar
As Korea is a place I hope one day to visit, I would be very happy with a dedicated forum to help me learn.
+1. I see a Korea in my 3-5 year travel goals and would like to cultivate a knowledge base prior to needing it. A separate forum would likely stimulate the questions and hopefully answers.
I am sorry you may not find what you are looking or wishing for if there's really a Korea Forum on FT.

Unlike the rich info and vivid discussion in say Japan and China Forum, I hardly ever see any cultural and language discussion from Korean threads in our current Asia Forum. Most I see are short threads about transportation from/to Seoul, suggestions for hotels, airport transit and the like. Korean food is one major exception. However, our DiningBuzz! Forum probably is a better home for topics on non-location specific food discussion.

Have I mentioned I've been a loyal visitor and participant in our Asia Forum for years since 2006? That's 6 years, if I do my math correctly. If it hasn't happened in the last 6 years, what make you believe there would be enough FTers or FTers-to-be to start posting about Korea cultures, languages, sightseeing...etc so you may learn more about Korea simply because there would be a new Korea Forum on FT?

Does Korea have its uniqueness in cultures and attractions? Absolutely.
Are there great things to learn about Korea? Most definitely.
However, that line of intriguing discussion has hardly been seen in our Korea threads in Asia Forum on FT.
You ask why? I have not a single clue.

We do have good number of FTers who fly Korea-based airlines and you'll find wonderful discussion threads in our airline fora. However, most, if not all, of those who actively participate in airline discussion hardly ever take part in destination Korea threads. I highly doubt those folk would suddenly have a change of heart and say, "let's starting building content for Korea threads because now we have a Korea Forum!" Nothing like that has happened in the history of FT.

Would the built-it-they-will-come myth be validated by a supposed Korea Forum? Now you tell me.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by lin821

Unlike the rich info and vivid discussion in say Japan and China Forum, I hardly ever see any cultural and language discussion from Korean threads in our current Asia Forum. Most I see are short threads about transportation from/to Seoul, suggestions for hotels, airport transit and the like. Korean food is one major exception.
Japan and China already has their own forums. You are arguing that 2 people with their own houses are able to decorate it more vividly, compare to a guy who shares an apartment? Korea just has a bigger budget now, ready to buy their first house.

Last edited by skchin; Aug 8, 2012 at 7:13 am
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
So hard to reason with those who use faulty logic...

Korea Japan and China already has their own forum. You are arguing that 2 people with their own houses are able to decorate their houses more vividly, compare to a guy who shares an apartment?
No, please don't use a faulty logic to put the horse before the cart and disgrace those passionate FTers who have been actively contributing to China and Japan, or any other Asian countries that currently own standalone fora on FT, naming Thailand, Singapore, India, Hong Kong & Macau.

I am simply using two examples to show people how some of the Asian countries earned their own fora on FT and the traffic/threads/participants proved and keep proving their existence on FT. For example, FT didn't start with a standalone forum for either China or Japan. That is a fact.

AND using your provided wiki link, Japan doesn't even get as many international tourist arrivals as Korea in 2011. However, did you notice how many more threads FTers have started and participated on FT w/r/t Japan? It's not just because Japan has its own forum. Have you ever checked out how and why our Japan Forum gets that much more traffic and interesting discussion threads on FT than say Korea?

Korea just has a bigger budget now, ready to buy their first house.
(underline mine)

Really? Sorry I must have missed that.

Since we are talking about FT, not Korea government, would you please provide me with FT capital how "Korea has a bigger budget now to buy their first house" on FT? Other than you, the OP, how many other FTers have been consistently participating and contributing to Korea discussion threads in Asia Forum? Is it 3? Or maybe 5? Have I truly underestimated that number?

Show me "the real FT money", and please don't recite the GDP or any other international trade numbers (again). Who are your Korea discussion crowd in Asia Forum and where have they been on FT? Even with my daily visit to Asia Forum, I just fail to miss most of them there. Thank you.

Last edited by lin821; Aug 8, 2012 at 8:44 am Reason: 2 typos
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:41 am
In Memoriam

If you are going to call it a "Korea" forum; I'd vote no unless you put it as a sub-thread of OMNI PR.

The South Korean people are very proud of their heritige and politicizing their unification on a travel bb is nonsense.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by underpressure
If you are going to call it a "Korea" forum; I'd vote no unless you put it as a sub-thread of OMNI PR.

The South Korean people are very proud of their heritige and politicizing their unification on a travel bb is nonsense.
Spain/Portugal/Gilbraltar Forum has the same concept. I'm sure Spanish, Portugese, and several French speaking separists could say the same thing in the Iberian peninsula.

It isn't the most politically correct way, however it's the closest thing without creating a subforum for N. Korea.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by lin821
using your provided wiki link, Japan doesn't even get as many international tourist arrivals as Korea in 2011. However, did you notice how many more threads FTers have started and participated on FT w/r/t Japan? It's not just because Japan has its own forum. Have you ever checked out how and why our Japan Forum gets that much more traffic and interesting discussion threads on FT than say Korea?
The Japan forum flourishes thanks to the massively helpful input of many locals and those FTers who visit frequently and enjoy discussing a wide variety of topics but it didn't get that way overnight and I am confident a Korean forum would also build a faithful following and be equally as "interesting" an FT forum to visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.