Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal: Korea(s) Forum as a major travel destination.

Proposal: Korea(s) Forum as a major travel destination.

Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
butterfly wings
Old Jul 31, 2012, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by lin821
Currently and logistically, Korea (as a destination) threads belong to Asia Forum on FT. W/r/t airlines discussion, we have airline fora for it. I am genuinely confused about a few folks' comments that they had to search "all over FT" for info about Korea, such as:

If you did find Korea discussion threads somewhere other than Asia Forum, that mean they were misplaced and should have been moved to the proper destination forum. Did you RBP those misplaced threads so MODs could take care of them? I always RBP misplaced threads when I spot them.

For those who ever had to search all over FT for Korea info outside our Asia Forum, would you please enlighten me in which fora you located Korea discussion threads? Even better if you may provide some example threads.
I brain cramped and was referring to my overall trip search. However, I still feel that the peninsula should have its own forum.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:10 pm

I support for the creation of Korea forum as well.
It makes sense to have one place to get info regarding travel to Korea since there seems to be enough demand for it on FT.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I don't object to a Korea forum, but I don't think Flyertalk's influence is enough to create a groundswell of tourism to South Korea.
Don't count out Flyertalks contributions. We have added thousands upon thousands of Singapore arrivals and related tourist dollars and taxes just from the MR forum alone. Not to mention the Do's!
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:06 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
It would be nice to have a central place for visitors to Korea and pax passing through Incheon to put information. Right now, I'm afraid, some of that information gets misplaced and compartmentalized in the OZ and KE forums. FFs like me would only see one of those (KE in my case) and miss the other. Some Korea posts get put in the general Asia forum but they don't get much attention there.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Definitely a worthwhile suggestion.

From the inimitable Wikipedia, evidence that it is a more significant market than some that already have discrete forums:
South Korea has a market economy which ranks 15th in the world by nominal GDP and 12th by purchasing power parity (PPP), identifying it as one of the G-20 major economies. It is a high-income developed country, with a developed market,
Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Definitely a worthwhile suggestion.

From the inimitable Wikipedia, evidence that it is a more significant market than some that already have discrete forums:
By that measure we should have forums for Nigeria and Venezuela as well. I think the proposal for a Korea forum a reasonable one, but it is probably best to use Flyertalk stats to promote it.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam
If FT were to measure where members have been, there should be a open poll with all the countries to see where we are traveling every month. Because there is no such indicator, we have to rely on outside sources to know where people are traveling to.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by skchin
If FT were to measure where members have been, there should be a open poll with all the countries to see where we are traveling every month. Because there is no such indicator, we have to rely on outside sources to know where people are traveling to.
No, but we do have the indicator of what people are talking about on Flyertalk. I have suggested that someone count the Flyertalk threads to Korea in the past few months, but none of the people who want to promote this forum seem willing to do that. They just keep repeating the outside sources.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
I also think Korea forum would make a good addition to Flyertalk. I think Korea is a destination that is gaining more traffic from both tourists and business travelers. If a separate forum was created, concentration effect will result in more threads and posts on Korea.

Oh, And for the North Korea issue, I suggest that a <consolidated thread on North Korea> within Korea forum would be enough.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 1:06 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by saaws
I think Korea is a destination that is gaining more traffic from both tourists and business travelers. If a separate forum was created, concentration effect will result in more threads and posts on Korea.
Disappointingly, destination Korea hasn't attracted any of your personal interest as a Korean native to make a single post in Asia Forum so far.

If Korea threads in Asia Forum haven't motivated you enough to participate, may I ask why and how a subforum would change your posting pattern?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Disappointingly, destination Korea hasn't attracted any of your personal interest as a Korean native to make a single post in Asia Forum so far.

If Korea threads in Asia Forum haven't motivated you enough to participate, may I ask why and how a subforum would change your posting pattern?
Obviously it has found your interest in the forum. ^
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by skchin
"North Korea" key word shows 102 Threads and 499 Posts.
I did a search for just Korea in the Asia forum and found 198 posts in the past year. That's not a lot but it's enough in my opinion, given that Korea is sufficiently different from other parts of Asia.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:15 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by nsx
I did a search for just Korea in the Asia forum and found 198 posts in the past year. That's not a lot but it's enough in my opinion,...
I didn't search but with 198 posts, is that a good enough quantitative measure for you as a TBer to request a standforum, nsx?

I only see myself as an Asia Forum regular, but jiejie, IMHO, is not only one of our China experts but also a staple to Asia Forum with her well-thought and in-depth posts. She shares the same observation as mine that among all the discussion threads in Asia Forum, Korea ones, even though visible, are really not that many:

Originally Posted by jiejie
I see far more threads on the Indochina countries especially Vietnam, so to me that warrants consideration of a dedicated forum before Korea does.
No malice towards Korea as a travel destination, just observing the traffic and taking a volume-based point of view. I'm sure there are members here with their "pet" destination either because of ethnic ties or fond memories, but what's of practical use to the greatest number of people should be the driver. IMO.
On top of my head, I'd say I see more threads quantitatively and qualitatively about visiting S.E. Asia than Korea.
(bolding mine)

I see quite a few comments such as "why not" & "nice to have a Korea Forum" without any supporting arguments or evidence. Some people support it just because they plan to visit Korea sometimes. If this line of new forum requests would win over TBers' votes to establish any new forum, I really have nothing to offer but my deep disappointment in TB.

Neither jiejie nor I see Korea threads carry that much traffic over the years in Asia Forum. If our years of observation isn't enough for TBers, probably TB may solicit input from our Senior MODs who attend to Asia Forum and see what they have to say about traffic in our Asia Forum.

I understand quantity is not the only criterion to create a new forum. But when considering destination forum, numbers do speak. I just haven't seen Korea threads prove themselves to branch out from Asia Forum yet.

Last edited by lin821; Aug 6, 2012 at 10:21 am
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nsx
I did a search for just Korea in the Asia forum and found 198 posts in the past year. That's not a lot but it's enough in my opinion, given that Korea is sufficiently different from other parts of Asia.
I believe NSX nails the most important "sufficiently different" aspect of this conversation. According to the US census, in 2011, trade between US and South Korea resulted:

US-South Korea
$43 billion Export and $57 billion Import.

Compared to:
Vietnam - $4 bil export / 18 bil import
Malaysia - 14 bil export / 26 bil import
Indonesia - 7 bil export / 19 bil import

We aren't just talking about leisure travel here. US and South Korea trade alone gives special status to the importance of business travel. Leisure travel is just icing on the cake as some others have said.

There is a reason why airlines cater to non-stop between North American cities (LAX, SFO, LAS, SEA, DFW, ORD, JFK, ATL, HNL, YYZ, YVR) and Seoul (ICN) because there is demand for travel for passengers and cargo being exchanged. I do not see Vietnam, Malaysia, and Indonesia commanding such weight for business and leisure travel.

Last edited by skchin; Aug 6, 2012 at 11:24 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.