FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Topics (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics-382/)
-   -   Jumeirah Hotels and Sirius forum (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-topics/1360768-jumeirah-hotels-sirius-forum.html)

PanGalactic Jun 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Jumeirah Hotels and Sirius forum

Dear Talkboard,

Please consider the possibility of opening a Jumeirah/Sirius forum on Flyertalk.

Jumeirah has been opening a lot of new properties and also has an excellent loyalty program including tie ins with Amex and a few airlines.

I have met many FT'ers at several do's who have all stayed at a Jumeirah at one point or another so I think a FT forum would be appropriate.

I also think there is a strong possibility they would be more than willing to participate if such a forum was created. I'd be happy to contact their PR department and suggest the possibility if you like.

Thanks

oxtailsoup Jun 26, 2012 3:36 pm

Good idea.

+1 ^

SkiAdcock Jun 27, 2012 9:28 am

Hi there! From TB guidelines, here are some of the things we consider when considering a new forum. Answers to these questions gives us a starting place when doing our research.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Cheers.

Kagehitokiri Jun 27, 2012 4:22 pm

absolutely doesnt meet existing TB standards

PanGalactic Jun 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 18832172)
absolutely doesnt meet existing TB standards

Care to elaborate?

Kagehitokiri Jun 27, 2012 4:29 pm

SkiAdcock posted, and there are threads (all stickied?)

PanGalactic Jun 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 18832209)
SkiAdcock posted, and there are threads (all stickied?)

Yes, SkiAdcock posted, a canned response which I believe is always posted when someone suggests a new forum in order to generate feedback from the community.

I think the idea is you are supposed to go through point by point and give your reasons for agreeing/disagreeing with each one?

Where are the sticky threads about Jumeirah/Sirius of which you speak?

Kagehitokiri Jun 27, 2012 4:41 pm

if there are not tons of threads/posts, TB doesnt consider it

these questions arent the right ones - if you have thoughts on TB policy, those are the questions to raise

discussion of luxury service/accommodations is in luxury hotels forum

PanGalactic Jun 27, 2012 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 18832283)
discussion of luxury service/accommodations is in luxury hotels forum

There's a lot more to discuss apart from the service/accommodations, such as the (open to all) loyalty program, upgrade strategys and tie ins to Amex and Airline programs which I mentioned in the OP.

Most of the properties discussed in the Luxury Hotels forum don't even have a loyalty/status program therefore discussion there is merely about how luxurious the gardens are, the temperature of the pool, how soft the beds are or the quality of the champagne being served there etc.

I'd like to see it in the Miles&Points section which is why I suggested it.

SkiAdcock Jun 27, 2012 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 18832239)
Yes, he posted, a canned response which I believe is always posted when someone suggests a new forum in order to generate feedback from the community.

I think the idea is you are supposed to go through point by point and give your reasons for agreeing/disagreeing with each one?

Yes, answering the questions I posted provides info to TB members (especially if we are not familiar with a particular forum/area/airline/hotel, etc) & helps build a case for the creation of a forum & can also point us to other forums or provide info when we do our additional research as TB members. It also provides some 'talking points' for other FTers to review/discuss when they provide their input.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 18832283)
if there are not tons of threads/posts, TB doesnt consider it

Kagehitokiri, with all due respect, you do not speak for TB. And I'm a bit dismayed that you've taken it upon yourself to shoot down the OP's suggestion straight out of the box/be somewhat harsh re: it.

TB is always willing to consider suggestions for new forums. There may or may not be enough support for what is being suggested that it comes to fruition, but that doesn't mean FTers shouldn't post here if they have a good idea for a new forum or why something might need to be re-aligned or a title change or rules about posts counting or having entry requirements, etc.

Not all will automatically be created; not all will automatically fail. There's a process involved, and part of it is making a case for what is being suggested. Depending on what it is, the answers to questions prove helpful. In other instances, a case can be made (or not) re: it if the topic doesn't lend itself to the questions.

Cheers.

SkiAdcock Jun 27, 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by PanGalactic (Post 18832377)
There's a lot more to discuss apart from the service/accommodations, such as the (open to all) loyalty program, upgrade strategys and tie ins to Amex and Airline programs which I mentioned in the OP.

Most of the properties discussed in the Luxury Hotels forum don't even have a loyalty/status program therefore discussion there is merely about how luxurious the gardens are, the temperature of the pool, how soft the beds are or the quality of the champagne being served there etc.

I'd like to see it in the Miles&Points section which is why I suggested it.

Fair enough. And again, answering the questions will provide info as well for us to consider.

Nice change on your signature :)

Cheers.

Kagehitokiri Jun 27, 2012 8:26 pm

i wasnt being harsh, and didnt think i would come across that way, especially compared to past responses in this forum - my bad

i am speaking of my knowledge of how much disussion sirius has gotten in luxury hotels forum, where i have read every single post (created) since i have been a member of FT (i have not read every historical post)

i dont even have to search, but that would also be illustrative

(jumeirah hotels have gotten plenty, in luxury hotel context)

my choice of words may be argued re TB, but the fact that the standards are high is not arguable..

i think many of the "issues" being raised in TB forum would be a lot better directed at thinking about how people feel about TB itself, like some of the changes the new TB made recently, etc

SkiAdcock Jun 29, 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 18833386)
i wasnt being harsh, and didnt think i would come across that way, especially compared to past responses in this forum - my bad

i am speaking of my knowledge of how much disussion sirius has gotten in luxury hotels forum, where i have read every single post (created) since i have been a member of FT (i have not read every historical post)

i dont even have to search, but that would also be illustrative

(jumeirah hotels have gotten plenty, in luxury hotel context)

my choice of words may be argued re TB, but the fact that the standards are high is not arguable..

i think many of the "issues" being raised in TB forum would be a lot better directed at thinking about how people feel about TB itself, like some of the changes the new TB made recently, etc

Well basically telling the OP that TB won't even consider it due to its high standards is both being presumptious & a bit harsh in my opinion, but I speak only for myself and not other TB members.

As I stated, TB is always willing to consider new forum suggestions, creating subforums, changing titles, restricting access to forums, having posts count, etc. Whether these things happen or not is dependent upon the case being made for them, but that doesn't negate the fact that people ARE allowed to suggest things.

I have no idea what your last paragraph means in relation to the OP's suggestion re: creating a Jumeirah Hotels & Sirius forum.

Cheers.

Kagehitokiri Jun 29, 2012 6:30 pm

just did a search to explain what i was saying - "sirius" is in 25 posts in luxury hotels forum, including recent

if people want the standard for forum creation to change, TB first has to do that

and i wasnt saying one cannot interpret what i said as harsh, again sorry if it sounded like it

intub8r Jun 29, 2012 9:08 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a Sirius / Jumeirah forum - as Panny said, they are opening a lot of hotels all over the world and this was the primary place I came to earlier this year when looking for advice on which property to choose in Dubai for an upcoming trip.

Cannot speak to the volume of traffic, but they do seem to be an up and coming hotel chain (with regard to number of properties) and I have found the information both timely and useful.

WRT one vibrant forum vs two half dead ones, I would definitely agree that the former is better, however, consider some of the airlines that have their own fora which are rarely trafficked - I was searching for information on Iberia a few weeks ago, and even for a relatively major airline such as that, there is not a lot of traffic on its boards, however, it still has its own forum. From an organizational standpoint, I think that is preferred because it makes the information easier to find.

My $0.02 from a relative newbie (I lurk a lot but post infrequently).