Reload this Page >

Motion Passed: Create a Peru Forum

Motion Passed: Create a Peru Forum

Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:06 am
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by RichMSN
We have an Antarctica forum that has had 8 posts since January 1 (and I have no problem with that, BTW). But everyone knows where to find it. I'd do the same with Peru, too -- put it under a South America forum and people will find it. If it only gets a dozen posts a year, so what? It's still organized and people will find the threads when they need them.
Yes! And I'm sure Peru forum will get more and more posts. Not necessarily because it will be a separated forum, but because Peru tourism is rapidly growing, if not exploding.

The posts volume from the past is not reflecting what is going on in Peru right now. There are airlines that have returned to Peru after decades (Air France), or for the first time (Sky Airline), and several are interested in flight to Peru (Qantas, Lufthansa, Porter Airline, Interjet, Ryanair, Aer Lingus). Low-cost carriers are interested as you see, giving an opportunity to budget travelers, backpackers.

And with the Marriott precedent (Lima, Cusco in july 2012), hotels chains are opening or interested in Peru (Hilton, Westin, Intercontinental), in addition to the peruvian corporations (Casa Andina, Los Portales).

Peru airports arre or have been renovated and will be receiving international flights, giving an alternative to Lima (Iquitos in July, from Panama (Copa), Cusco, Arequipa).

And new events are being organized in Peru (Dakar departure, gastronimic fairs, etc.).

When flyertalk.com forums appeared, no cruise planned to stop in Lima. Now there are cruises (from Europe, America) that includes stops in Lima, Arequipa, Trujillo, Pisco (As you can see Peru is far more than Machu Picchu, but that would be a topic for other thread).

I think I have transmitted part of this when answered the questionnaire. My point is not about comparing a Peru forum with the current Cuba or Antarctica forums, and of course I'd never imagine to compete with the New York or France forums, but that's not the point. The point is that with what is going in Peru now, a forum would be beneficial for everybody.

Last edited by Villavic; Apr 12, 2012 at 5:40 pm
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K

Now, for that Chile forum!
Indeed....can't have one without the other I say.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
I fully support the proposal for a Peru forum. Based on what I see in the South America forum, and on Peru's continuing economic growth and increasing popularity as a tourist destination, I think this is a worthwhile proposal.

Actually I think there could be another forum for Peruvian cuisine but that's for future consideration...
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:52 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
TB has always allowed posts re: forums to go either into the comments welcome or the original discussion thread. It's been the TB policy for years, and while I cannot speak for my fellow TB members, I don't see a need to change this. This IS under TB's purview

We're talking 2 threads re: a particular topic at any given time. It's something we can handle, and we prefer not to stifle FTers input by insisting they post only in the Comments Welcome thread. Do we prefer they choose the CW thread to post when voting is underway? Sure. Is it really the end of the TB/FT world if they post in the original discussion thread? No. We're capable of reading both.

Thanks for your input, and feel free to comment in either thread.

Cheers.
Why not merge such threads/keep one thread. Just rename thread and update OP, including linking to first post after formal voting starts.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by travelkid
Why not merge such threads/keep one thread. Just rename thread and update OP, including linking to first post after formal voting starts.
The current system isn't broke IMO, so no need to fix it. We're talking 2 threads for TB members to read. It's not a hardship, especially since we stay on top of them pretty regularly. FTers have the option of posting in either; I don't see a need to restrict them to one or the other.

FWIW - in the many years I've been following TB, before & during my time of serving, there's not been much input on there being more than one thread, so my guess is my FTers don't really care that there are 2 threads & in the overall scheme of things, it's not an issue.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by RichMSN
My feeling about new forums is clearly different than yours. I'm not all that concerned with fragmentation. It's easy, if the forums are organized properly, to find the proper forums.

We have an Antarctica forum that has had 8 posts since January 1 (and I have no problem with that, BTW). But everyone knows where to find it. I'd do the same with Peru, too -- put it under a South America forum and people will find it. If it only gets a dozen posts a year, so what? It's still organized and people will find the threads when they need them.
I tend to agree with Rich here. When splitting a forum, some common-interest content might be lost. I see no significant common-interest content here. If it's about Peru, it's not about other countries in South America. And vice versa. Therefore I don't see a disadvantage to the split.

Readers, please correct me if you think I'm wrong. The deadline to vote is approaching...
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Im in general quite liberal on new forums. That goes specifically for miles/points program or even groups of such, being FTs core value- and making program specific info easily available.

I dont have the same principle for regions, like Peru. Questions about the Antarctic doesnt really suit other forums so its justified despite low traffic. Peru would as far as I view it, be too limited in volume, and more important have more synergy with South America. Had this been Lonely Planet forums, I would have said yes. In this case I dont see it as beneficial.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:43 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The current system isn't broke IMO, so no need to fix it. We're talking 2 threads for TB members to read. It's not a hardship, especially since we stay on top of them pretty regularly. FTers have the option of posting in either; I don't see a need to restrict them to one or the other.

FWIW - in the many years I've been following TB, before & during my time of serving, there's not been much input on there being more than one thread, so my guess is my FTers don't really care that there are 2 threads & in the overall scheme of things, it's not an issue.

Cheers.
In as many years there hasn't been, and frankly still isn't, much input on a Peru forum, so my guess is that FTers don't really care that it doesn't exist. It isn't really an issue, right?

It isn't an issue of hardship on TB members. It is an issue where the conversation becomes disjointed as the single location of discussion is split into two places. So when you try to reference an earlier point it isn't clear where that came from.

To the point, I don't think the volume warrants a separate forum at this time. This doesn't preclude revisiting the issue in 6 months or a year or two if the Peru-specific volume picks up in the current South America forum.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Shouldn't the other thread be closed? What is the point of two parallel threads?
I'll give you a pass because:

1. You got me into the King David Lounge twice.

2. I agree with you.

However, if I were not so inclined, I would point out that it is not up to TalkBoard to decide whether or not the other thread should be closed. That is purely a moderators' decision and it is forbidden to discuss moderation.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:31 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Moderators' have merged two threads on this subject for housekeeping and convenience sake.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Moderator2
Moderators' have merged two threads on this subject for housekeeping and convenience sake.
You have PM.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:41 am

Well, since the 2 threads (unlike many others we have in this forum ) were combined, I did a quick count of those supporting it vs. against the Peru forum.

Per the norm, I usually count one person's yes/no/maybe, regardless of how many times they post yeah/nay. It's one of the ways, although not the only one, that I get a feel for what FTers think about something we vote on. In the case of Peru, the Yeses far outweigh the Nos. In addition, both the OP & some of the others (especially those from areas in the same region) that were supportive gave some valid reasons for the creation.

So I voted yes.

Just a reminder - the vote officially ends Tuesday afternoon, or whenever all TB members have voted so we'll know then.

Cheers.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nsx
I tend to agree with Rich here. When splitting a forum, some common-interest content might be lost. I see no significant common-interest content here. If it's about Peru, it's not about other countries in South America. And vice versa. Therefore I don't see a disadvantage to the split.

Readers, please correct me if you think I'm wrong. The deadline to vote is approaching...
I think your point just turned the light on for me. I'll be voting yes.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:20 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by jackal
I think your point just turned the light on for me. I'll be voting yes.
As such, would you then support creating a Destination forum for every country? Some forums do have forums for every country regardless of the activity in the forum for that country.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:55 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by Moderator2
That is not the SOP.

This thread now reads like a mega thread, with the relevant motion noted in the thread title now in post 27 rather than post 1.

I. Freaking. HATE. Megathreading.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.