Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Create a Peru Forum

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 11:23 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Based on the numbers posted above I don't think it makes sense to create a new forum. There hasn't been enough interest in the 14 years. It isn't that there are so many Peru posts that the Chile posts are getting lost. Creating a new forum doesn't necessarily generate additional traffic or attract more folks.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
And here I am also hoping that this passes. Been thinking about burning another bunch of miles for a personal trip to the Paracas region to kick back ... maybe I'll aim for that to be the first post if we get the standalone forum! "Seeking information on Paracas region ... "
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
... maybe I'll aim for that to be the first post if we get the standalone forum! "Seeking information on Paracas region ... "
I am afraid it won't happen. Your yet-to-come-thread will not be the first post/thread in the new forum.

When TB does pass this motion and Peru gets its own forum, all the previous threads about/on Peru will be moved over. Not to mention our Community Director is quite good and efficient to set up a new forum filled with threads when TB passes such motions. Meaning there will be some Peru threads before you are able to start your thread.

Anyhow, enjoy your trip to Paracas region.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:50 am

As mentioned in the other thread about a Peru forum, there really aren't that many threads or posts about Peru if you take into account 14 years of FlyerTalk activity. It isn't as if the Peru posts are so overwhelming the SA Destination forum that people's question about how to visit Peoples Temple in Guyana are getting lost. Just say "no".
Old Apr 11, 2012, 3:53 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by lin821
<snip>When TB does pass this motion and Peru gets its own forum</snip>
Do you know something the rest of us don't? I don't see anywhere in this thread that passage of the Peru forum is a given, and there has been no "official" word from Sharon or anyone else that there will even be passage, yet. Not to mention it doesn't seem to have overwhelming support like a few of the other recent motions that have come through.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
As mentioned in the other thread about a Peru forum, there really aren't that many threads or posts about Peru if you take into account 14 years of FlyerTalk activity. It isn't as if the Peru posts are so overwhelming the SA Destination forum that people's question about how to visit Peoples Temple in Guyana are getting lost. Just say "no".
Somehow I got the feeling that traffic and/or number of existing threads isn't that big a determining factor for this Peru motion, as far as this current TB is concerned.

Originally Posted by lo2e
<snip>When TB does pass this motion and Peru gets its own forum</snip>
Do you know something the rest of us don't? I don't see anywhere in this thread that passage of the Peru forum is a given, and there has been no "official" word from Sharon or anyone else that there will even be passage, yet. Not to mention it doesn't seem to have overwhelming support like a few of the other recent motions that have come through.
No, it's just my gut feeling, seeing how soon this proposal moved onto a motion and how some TBers commented in both TB threads. I know as much as you do from reading the public TB Topics Forum.

IMHO, even though this OP and other supporters for Peru Forum had tried to address the criteria for creating new forum, those answers were still too generic to justify a Peru Forum at this moment of time on FT. TB made it a motion anyway.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:35 am

...Creating a new forum doesn't necessarily generate additional traffic or attract more folks.
Not that I agree with them but some think otherwise. Maybe it's chicken-or-the-egg thingy. I don't know.

Personally I think it's a very weak argument to say "build it, they will come" when discussing the possibility of creating a new forum on FT.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:58 am

Shouldn't the other thread be closed? What is the point of two parallel threads?
Old Apr 11, 2012, 8:02 am
Ambassador: Peru
Original Poster

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Somehow I got the feeling that traffic and/or number of existing threads isn't that big a determining factor for this Peru motion, as far as this current TB is concerned.
I agree. Specially considering 14 years. I mean 14 years ago nobody thought there would be a Dakar Rally in South America. Machu Picchu and Cristo Redentor were already famous but as I remember there were people that had seen the pictures but weren't sure where they were located. The New 7 Wonders contest changed that.

After 9/11 the main airlines were hit by a huge crisis. Reality was that new or smaller airlines found an opportunity and have grown a lot.

So what I think is that posts are increasing constantly. Not only about countries, but airlines and other topics. Now if we see the whole 14 years obviously we may find there are too few about Peru. But don't forget the world is in constant change, and I still believe this forum is worth it nowadays. Let's think in the future.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Shouldn't the other thread be closed? What is the point of two parallel threads?
FTers are welcome to post on either thread to provide input. TB members are pretty good at multi-tasking

Cheers.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
"Who Moved My Cheese" by Spencer Johnson
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
My feeling about new forums is clearly different than yours. I'm not all that concerned with fragmentation. It's easy, if the forums are organized properly, to find the proper forums.

We have an Antarctica forum that has had 8 posts since January 1 (and I have no problem with that, BTW). But everyone knows where to find it. I'd do the same with Peru, too -- put it under a South America forum and people will find it. If it only gets a dozen posts a year, so what? It's still organized and people will find the threads when they need them.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
FTers are welcome to post on either thread to provide input. TB members are pretty good at multi-tasking

Cheers.
The fact that they are welcome to do so is nice but nice isn't always smart or logical. There are reasons we disallow crossposting. I realized we have two identical threads when I wanted to quote the stats on the number if posts in he past 14 years and realized it wasn't even in het he same thread. Maybe TB should start allowing crossposting since frankly we are all great multitasking.

Originally Posted by RichMSN
My feeling about new forums is clearly different than yours. I'm not all that concerned with fragmentation. It's easy, if the forums are organized properly, to find the proper forums.

We have an Antarctica forum that has had 8 posts since January 1 (and I have no problem with that, BTW). But everyone knows where to find it. I'd do the same with Peru, too -- put it under a South America forum and people will find it. If it only gets a dozen posts a year, so what? It's still organized and people will find the threads when they need them.
So why not just open forums for every country and every airline? What is you criteria for feeling that a new forum is a good idea?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
The fact that they are welcome to do so is nice but nice isn't always smart or logical. There are reasons we disallow crossposting. I realized we have two identical threads when I wanted to quote the stats on the number if posts in he past 14 years and realized it wasn't even in het he same thread. Maybe TB should start allowing crossposting since frankly we are all great multitasking.

So why not just open forums for every country and every airline? What is you criteria for feeling that a new forum is a good idea?
Subjective, really. If I think it's got any chance of success, I vote for it. I was pretty clear that was my view when I campaigned for TB. Too much hand-wringing and too much time turning down forums.

Will I vote against a forum that's proposed? Maybe. Hasn't happened yet, though.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
TB has always allowed posts re: forums to go either into the comments welcome or the original discussion thread. It's been the TB policy for years, and while I cannot speak for my fellow TB members, I don't see a need to change this. This IS under TB's purview

We're talking 2 threads re: a particular topic at any given time. It's something we can handle, and we prefer not to stifle FTers input by insisting they post only in the Comments Welcome thread. Do we prefer they choose the CW thread to post when voting is underway? Sure. Is it really the end of the TB/FT world if they post in the original discussion thread? No. We're capable of reading both.

Thanks for your input, and feel free to comment in either thread.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.