Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Separate AmEx forum - why no Chase UR forum?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: A few
I'd argue you could make the same case for many of the airline forums too. In fact there are several grouped "Other xyz airline forums" but still there are hotbeds of discussion such as WestJet or El Al. In fact there are plenty of recently created airline-specific forums such as AirBerlin and Etihad which probably get less discussion than Chase UR but still have their own pride and joy.

While dictatorship may be a harsh term, it is certainly clear there is an unjustified resentment among those policing the place to do this and the attitude is very much that somehow some case has to be proven despite the fact it's blindingly obvious to most of the world that Chase cards have become a more interesting topic than Amex (and the Diners Club dedicated forum just makes a laughing stock of all the arguments put forward by TB members here that there is no justification for a Chase forum)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 6:59 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
It seems as though FT is trying to single out MR and Diners due to its "exclusiveness".
I think the reasons is historical more than anything else. I remember Diners fondly but that was a long, long time ago.

I believe there will be UR forum this year, but the TalkBoard tends to move slowly on non-urgent questions like this.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I think the reasons is historical more than anything else. I remember Diners fondly but that was a long, long time ago.

I believe there will be UR forum this year, but the TalkBoard tends to move slowly on non-urgent questions like this.
I agree it's non-urgent and I don't mind the slow move. I just wondered why other sub-forums would have so many programs listed, even the extreme un-popular programs listed, yet UR is not its own forum. Just simply weird...
Old Mar 12, 2013, 4:49 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I just wondered why other sub-forums would have so many programs listed, even the extreme un-popular programs listed, yet UR is not its own forum. Just simply weird...
That might be a good topic for another TB thread? This discussion thread is about whether Chase UR Forum should be created.

IMHO, arguing other existing fora are less worthy doesn't help in the case of creating new fora on FT. If for some reasons, you believe certain existing fora should be folded, generally speaking, you make another different TB threads to exchange ideas or facilitate discussion. See example of Toronto subforum here and here.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 7:53 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
I think the reasons is historical more than anything else. .
I think the reason Membership Rewards and Club Rewards have separate forums is that the points can be converted to airline miles and hotel points. Ultimate Rewards also shares this characteristic, though on a much smaller scale. There are other card programs (e.g. HSBC, Merrill+, WorldPoints, ThankYou) which offer(ed) conversion to an even smaller number of partners.

I read nearly all of the threads in Credit Card Programs, and it is still the case the most Chase threads pertain to the process of applying and cancelling cards (i.e. "churning"), rather than discussion of the Ultimate Rewards program. It might be that separating the Chase threads from the others would facilitate more nuanced discussion, but my sense is that most members see UR primarily as a churning engine to generate UA miles or Hyatt points, and these threads are more generic than the titles may suggest.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx

Well one could say all forums created are non-urgent Perhaps it's more accurate to say that TB waits to see if there's enough interest & rational reasons/data put forth & support for the creation of a new forum.

Cheers.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by mia
I think the reason Membership Rewards and Club Rewards have separate forums is that the points can be converted to airline miles and hotel points. Ultimate Rewards also shares this characteristic, though on a much smaller scale. There are other card programs (e.g. HSBC, Merrill+, WorldPoints, ThankYou) which offer(ed) conversion to an even smaller number of partners.

I read nearly all of the threads in Credit Card Programs, and it is still the case the most Chase threads pertain to the process of applying and cancelling cards (i.e. "churning"), rather than discussion of the Ultimate Rewards program. It might be that separating the Chase threads from the others would facilitate more nuanced discussion, but my sense is that most members see UR primarily as a churning engine to generate UA miles or Hyatt points, and these threads are more generic than the titles may suggest.
sorry Mia but in my view this is mumbo-jumbo at it's finest. MR transfer options have dwindled significantly over the past couple of years. *A partners have either been removed (CO) or serious devalued by YQ (Aeroplan/ANA) and other options are limited too. While the Chase UR list is not massively long, it has some highly useful options - Hyatt and United are probably the most obvious and popular but there is plenty of discussion around Korean Air (best way to get F redemptions on SkyTeam), BA (same as MR), Marriott has some great pockets, SouthWest has value.

Also there is a huge amount of discussion around the complexity of earning UR which is significantly less relevant for Amex MR, particularly given the demise of the bonus points mall. The Chase mall runs monthly changes, earning amounts vary by the card you use to access, there are tricks around the use of gift cards.

More ways to earn, and certainly similar ways to burn.

I think your post is unfortunately a big reflection on the problem I see here - there appears to be a decision made and entrenched mindset that there is no need for this forum, and so everything is flipped back with a no answer to everything
Old Mar 12, 2013, 8:55 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ma91pmh

I think your post is unfortunately a big reflection on the problem I see here - there appears to be a decision made and entrenched mindset that there is no need for this forum, and so everything is flipped back with a no answer to everything
Actually no decision has been made by TB and we continue to look for input both pro/con, which is why input such as yours (well, maybe minus the thumbs down part ) and others is valuable.

Cheers.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
sorry Mia but in my view this is mumbo-jumbo at it's finest. MR transfer options have dwindled significantly over the past couple of years. *A partners have either been removed (CO) or serious devalued by YQ (Aeroplan/ANA) and other options are limited too. While the Chase UR list is not massively long, it has some highly useful options - Hyatt and United are probably the most obvious and popular but there is plenty of discussion around Korean Air (best way to get F redemptions on SkyTeam), BA (same as MR), Marriott has some great pockets, SouthWest has value.

Also there is a huge amount of discussion around the complexity of earning UR which is significantly less relevant for Amex MR, particularly given the demise of the bonus points mall. The Chase mall runs monthly changes, earning amounts vary by the card you use to access, there are tricks around the use of gift cards.

More ways to earn, and certainly similar ways to burn.

My goodness, aren't you being impatient. There's a vote going on now and the voting period is two weeks -- exactly what is the rush, anyway?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 1:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
OK, the decision has been made, and can be followed here:

Motion Passed: Create a Chase Ultimate Rewards Forum.

For those unaware of how FlyerTalk works, please take a few minutes do become familiarized with TalkBoard, how members are elected to it, how long they serve, etc. as well as how the process works for recommending new fora; it will probably make the process less frustrating, more efficient and much clearer.

/Moderator
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver

For those unaware of how FlyerTalk works, please take a few minutes do become familiarized with TalkBoard, how members are elected to it, how long they serve, etc. as well as how the process works for recommending new fora; it will probably make the process less frustrating, more efficient and much clearer.

/Moderator
I would like to respectfully disagree with what some folks could take to be the implicit message here. As a TalkBoard member, I want others to express their opinions about the creation of new fora and similar policy issues for FT, even if the person hasn't first taken the time to study all the processes and rules for how TalkBoard operates and how changes are recommended and implemented on FT. Yes, it's true that it can certainly be useful to study the process before investing a lot of time advocating for some particular change, but people who aren't heavily invested in FT can and should still feel entitled to suggest changes and especially to weigh in on proposed changes that are currently under consideration.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
people who aren't heavily invested in FT can and should still feel entitled to suggest changes and especially to weigh in on proposed changes that are currently under consideration.
Don't they have to find the Talk Board forum first, though?

I noticed a post this week where a member with just a few posts thanked the moderators for creating a new forum. The moderator took the time to explain to that member that moderators do not create forums. I think your challenge, as a Talk Board member, is getting the message out that this forum exists and exactly what you, as Talk Board members, do. Is that message getting out to new members?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
My goodness, aren't you being impatient. There's a vote going on now and the voting period is two weeks -- exactly what is the rush, anyway?
Your post came just over ONE YEAR from when this thread first started. My gosh how impatient of me

Now hip-hip - hooray! We finally have our forum....
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:22 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tom911
Don't they have to find the Talk Board forum first, though?

I noticed a post this week where a member with just a few posts thanked the moderators for creating a new forum. The moderator took the time to explain to that member that moderators do not create forums. I think your challenge, as a Talk Board member, is getting the message out that this forum exists and exactly what you, as Talk Board members, do. Is that message getting out to new members?
A good first step is to welcome new members when they do find their way to this forum. Obviously some don't know and don't care, others find this place by accident, and some want to learn more and become more involved with FT. Regardless, we should welcome those who appear here.

I think a good way to encourage more involvement, especially by new members, is to post
information, discussions, and polls in the relevant fora when changes affecting those areas are being considered. Recently this was done well IMO for the Ritz-Carlton name change in the Marriott forum.

Another example was the "tone" of FT discussion thread started in the DL forum by one of the moderators, Canarsie. It generated a lot of thoughtful and lively discussion, although perhaps people could have been also encouraged to participate in a similar thread that appeared around the same time in TBT.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 6:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No implicit message to deter members from offering suggestions or chiming in intended, merely information about the motion passing and effective advocacy. FlyerTalk is welcoming, inclusive and always encouraging members to become more involved.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would like to respectfully disagree with what some folks could take to be the implicit message here. As a TalkBoard member, I want others to express their opinions about the creation of new fora and similar policy issues for FT, even if the person hasn't first taken the time to study all the processes and rules for how TalkBoard operates and how changes are recommended and implemented on FT. Yes, it's true that it can certainly be useful to study the process before investing a lot of time advocating for some particular change, but people who aren't heavily invested in FT can and should still feel entitled to suggest changes and especially to weigh in on proposed changes that are currently under consideration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.