Search

Motion Passed: Create Frequent Travel Tools & Services Forum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2012, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
It's direction regarding the structure and purpose of the proposed forum. Just like if a 'Airlines of Russia' forum was created but was also meant to include CIS airlines, but not Baltic airlines, and making it clear that it's for discussion of the airlines in general, not a subforum or master thread for S7, Aeroflot, etc.
Off-topic:

So is that the description if an Airlines of Russia forum gets created?

Cheers.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 5:36 pm

So we have an official venue for ExpertFlyer Voice and KVS to go at each other...

But seriously, I would be in favour of such a forum, ExpertFlyer and KVS (and other travel tools) threads are currently all over FT (and in their respective airline forums, which can make it difficult to find), it would be much better if all relevant issues are condensed into one forum.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro (2MM), HH DIA, IHG PLT
I have absolutely no problem if it is contained in it's own forum. We users can simply choose to go there or not. Our choice.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
But seriously, I would be in favour of such a forum, ExpertFlyer and KVS (and other travel tools) threads are currently all over FT (and in their respective airline forums, which can make it difficult to find), it would be much better if all relevant issues are condensed into one forum.
I thought there was one official thread for each product?

Would this mean they can no longer post helpful details that they get from their apps in one of the other forums? They often show up in threads discussing award availability and post details on what's currently showing up as available.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:24 pm

There's the one official thread, but then sometimes people will post in individual airline threads about how to use these tools, as well as other threads in MilesBuzz etc. Being able to consolidate them all in one forum would be handy.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch

Would this mean they can no longer post helpful details that they get from their apps in one of the other forums? They often show up in threads discussing award availability and post details on what's currently showing up as available.
I think what belfordrocks is referring to are tool threads littered across multiple forums now being in one unified place. Not to mention all the this tool vs that tool threads that people keep starting. On the other hand, posting in a thread that asks for availability info or usage help should be fine, as long as the help is asked for (not spam).
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:24 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

There are NO anti-moderator conspiracies at play here. Just trying to be as clear as possible about structure and purpose.
Accept no anti-mod plans behind your motion.

However, this would be the first time that TB expressly stated how a specific forum was to be moderated - a mandate, if you will. Interesting.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Markie
Accept no anti-mod plans behind your motion.

However, this would be the first time that TB expressly stated how a specific forum was to be moderated - a mandate, if you will. Interesting.
This is not the first time this TB session that the TB has provided clarity and specificity in creating a new forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...nder-omni.html
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:03 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Wouldnt travel insurance and travel guides be considered Travel Products and should go to that forum?

I don't want to create any artificial expectations or limits, but I can see FTers wanting to talk about, for example:

KVS
ExpertFlyer
SeatGuru
SeatExpert
MileBlaster
UsingMiles
TripIt
TaxiMagic

I know gleff owns one of many concierge award booking services.

Bloggers, to me, seem like a service to which posters might choose to subscribe.

Travel insurance?

Travel guides?

That's just off the top of my head. I don't know about the tools and services that I don't know about.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by wharvey
Wouldnt travel insurance and travel guides be considered Travel Products and should go to that forum?
Yes, it would be good. How about Travel Agent or Tour Guide? They will offered you to take a nice tour. They will take a tour opportunity for you.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 7:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by wharvey
Travel insurance or guides? I thought the idea was to group those products or services or tools that had representation on FT into one forum? Do travel insurance and guides have FT rep.'s?

I can't support this motion as it seems like an idea not quite fully formed at the moment. That is, of course, merely MHO.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
This is not the first time this TB session that the TB has provided clarity and specificity in creating a new forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...nder-omni.html
Indeed, but that motion left the decision on what was appropriate/included to the Mods, with TB expressing a view. This motion is a step-up from that:

Although the moderators always have the final decision on whether and where to move any thread, in the TalkBoard's opinion Lounge threads in non-OMNI forums are not Game threads
This new motion does not recognise that the Mods have the final decision, nor does it express an 'opinion'. It is much stronger than that.

If there is no intention to mandate the Moderators then a rewording is probably needed.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:13 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch

I should hope not. If they have something valuable to contribute in another thread, they should contribute. So long as they aren't saying "Come use my tool" while being helpful.

Within the master threads on their product I'd love to see them posting discount codes which of course is an attempt at selling their product. Win-win situation.

I don't at all see how blogs fit into this proposed forum. They are not a service. You could say they deserve some sort of "Newstand" but they are certainly not a service.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I don't possibly see how it will be defined as to which goes on one side or what goes on the other side of this line in the sand.

I think it's a great idea, one of the irritating things about these boards is some people/services currently have carte blanche to respond to every thread saying if you use my service you can save money and I'll make money off of you, sometimes it seems adding nothing else to the thread but promote themselves.

If all those posts could go on the other side of the line in the sand, that would be a good thing, but I think defining what goes on which side is going to be impossible.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Support.

In general, the more sub-forums we have, the better. Travel tool sorts of posts will be MADE ANYWAY on FT, just scattered all about and miscategorized. Let's make those posts useful at least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.