Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
There are 4 forums in the entirety of FT that did not allow images before I got the PM last week. I would've been thrilled had the CD simply flipped the switch and turned the images on, considering most of the TB thought that was the status quo. I, personally, had no idea one way or the other. The idea that OMNI and OMNI/PR allowed images, but Travel with Children didn't, can only been seen as an oversight.

I know a moderator of GLBT had some misgivings about images in that forum, but I'm not sure that's a good enough reason to have a weird inconsistency in such a policy.
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I, too, had assumed they were already turned on FT-wide.
Perhaps one of the things we should have TB members do is go back through all the motions voted on when they come on board. Doing so might bring them up to date on motions/votes, such as this one when TB excluded Special Interest.

FWIW - I didn't remember which ones were on/off until it got brought up in the private TB & the Community Director did the post re: the timeline/votes/concerns/history. I don't normally think about images in general and having to do links hasn't been an issue for me.

Cheers.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Perhaps one of the things we should have TB members do is go back through all the motions voted on when they come on board. Doing so might bring them up to date on motions/votes, such as this one when TB excluded Special Interest.

FWIW - I didn't remember which ones were on/off until it got brought up in the private TB & the Community Director did the post re: the timeline/votes/concerns/history. I don't normally think about images in general and having to do links hasn't been an issue for me.

Cheers.
Perhaps. However quite a few of the people who also thought they were turned on were *long time* TB members.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Perhaps. However quite a few of the people who also thought they were turned on were *long time* TB members.
Not disagreeing. But maybe if the newbies had, they could have told the oldtimers

Cheers.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:36 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
FWIW - I agree with you. I was a bit surprised to see it got brought to motion only 24 hours after the image thread was started. There's no urgency to it. Perhaps we need to amend the guidelines to say something has to be open in the public TB forum for 48 hours too
Perhaps you could start that discussion the private TB forum with the goal of drafting a motion concerning it?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I had forgotten there were still some parts of FT that were image restricted, and I don't see any reason why this should continue.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:14 pm

"Create mayhem"? How nuts is that? Of course if any forums are allowed images all should be. Makes me wonder who these "moderators" and "members" are and if they don't have some hidden agendas.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by getsaround
"Create mayhem"? How nuts is that? Of course if any forums are allowed images all should be. Makes me wonder who these "moderators" and "members" are and if they don't have some hidden agendas.
I doubt it. The one mod that raised a concern was responsible for a forum actually being created, but had dealt with difficulties in it when links leading to explicit images were posted & had to be deleted. The concern is that may happen again. Of course the hope is that all FTers will play nice & not do so in any of the forums!

Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:00 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I doubt it. The one mod that raised a concern was responsible for a forum actually being created, but had dealt with difficulties in it when links leading to explicit images were posted & had to be deleted. The concern is that may happen again. Of course the hope is that all FTers will play nice & not do so in any of the forums!

Cheers.
+1 - and that mod referred to is me. The difference between links that lead to inappropriate images and images in the forum itself is that the member has to actively do something (click on the link) rather than see the image just because they are looking at a thread. I'm willing to give this a try but if the problem becomes a regular occurence (I know that there will be occasional problems - that can be dealt with), that we have can turn the function back-off.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:09 pm

I am one of the moderators of Women's Travel and the moderator of Disability Travel and see no reason why these forums should have different rules and not allow images.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:18 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

One of the "Test" Forums for images has been the Luxury Hotels Forum. It is a real advantage having images to share in that Forum. I believe that images should be allowed in all forums. I really don't see a downside.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by peteropny
+1 - and that mod referred to is me. The difference between links that lead to inappropriate images and images in the forum itself is that the member has to actively do something (click on the link) rather than see the image just because they are looking at a thread. I'm willing to give this a try but if the problem becomes a regular occurence (I know that there will be occasional problems - that can be dealt with), that we have can turn the function back-off.
This was my concern with allowing images in Omni - NSFW pictures popping up on my screen.

One or two posters did it at the very beginning, but then they suddenly stopped. My guess is they were "talked to" by the mods.

I haven't seen an inappropriate picture in months and months - and I hope it stays that way.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Just in case anyone is wondering how not to post pics on FT, here's a perfect example of You're Doing It Wrong.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 4:20 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by N965VJ
Just in case anyone is wondering how not to post pics on FT, here's a perfect example of You're Doing It Wrong.
Wrong???
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Recent posts relating to image size have relocated to the Technical Support Forum to this thread.

Please catch up with the discussion there. Thanks!

JDiver
senior moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.