Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed: Require Login to View Mileage Run Forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
I don't peruse the MR forum often enough to have a strong opinion about this matter, so defer to the wisdom of others who are more frequent forum users.

However, as a couple of people have pointed out, I do think it is a mistake to assume that individuals who are not logged in are not FT members:

Originally Posted by TheBOSman

As for requiring a simple login, the only opposition I can raise is for a member, say at an airline lounge computer or public access point, who may not wish to login with their FT account to assure that their FT login and password are not compromised due to a compromised computer.
Ditto if you wish to access FT from your workplace computer during lunch, and you don't care to have your employer know your FT handle.

Perhaps I am more security conscious/paranoid than most, but for the reasons above, I often peruse FT without logging in. I strongly suspect I am not the only FTer in this habit.

If the motion passes, I'll perhaps consider whether to make login the default on my home computer, but I probably won't change my habits on my mobile devices or other non-private computers. So I'll probably just be looking at the MR forum even less often. That may be an okay result -- i.e., perhaps the rules should be set in a manner that favors those who frequent the forum most. And I do appreciate the concern about search engines. But just for the record, I do think that requiring a login will, for better or for worse, reduce the number of registered FTers who are looking at the forum.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:48 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
I would hope that at the very least some sort of viewing could be done sans log in. I do not always log in as I peruse the various forums but look to see if any relevant posts have been made. So I would like to be able to tell if new posts have been made without log in.

I do not see what you aim to accomplish by requiring log in but if it is to protect the deal I cannot see this working. It will stop BOTS but not people.

Maybe we should start a forum to post all hotel mistake rates and BRG's and require log in as well or maybe those are not worth protecting.
Consistency please.

so I am against I guess
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by darben
Maybe we should start a forum to post all hotel mistake rates and BRG's
^^
Old Feb 20, 2012, 3:23 pm

Programs: milesandsmiles elite+
Come on, now...how difficult is it to register for this site...I support this measure...surely it cannot hurt us
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.979 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Been offline for the past several days as I was on vacation without a laptop (and posting from my blackberry en route back to NYC on Amtrak now)...as I've said in previous threads & explained in prior posts, I'm 100% against this motion and will be voting against it. It does not, IMHO, serve any valid purpose except to make life more difficult & likely to reduce new members in the long term (as I believe that many may come for the points, many more stay for deals).

This type of motion, if passed, is what will make FT a worse place in the future & is not for the better of FlyerTalk.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA ExP
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
likely to reduce new members in the long term (as I believe that many may come for the points, many more stay for deals).
Did you mean that many come for the deals and stay for the points? Because what you said militates against what you said.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
I'm "meh" about it...
Will impact nothing.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:08 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by tcook052
The MR forum moderators wanted to add our support to this motion to make MR available only to those FT members who are signed in. We feel it isn't too high a barrier to restrict those really interested in benefiting from one of FT’s main draws while keeping searchbots out.

jpdx said it well in this thread from almost 2 years ago which was the last time forum access restrictions were debated and approved before later being overturned upon further TB review:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...onnection.html

We appreciate this opportunity to revisit the access debate and hope TB will consider voting in favor of this motion.

On behalf of BiziBB, rcs85551 and jpdx

tcook052
MR Moderator
Most compelling arguments yet for voting in favor of this motion.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:32 pm

Support.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Most compelling arguments yet for voting in favor of this motion.
Why is it be anymore compelling that a newbie mod gives a thumbs up than a general member?

Don't believe it will make a difference one way or another......the bloggers will out the fares as soon as they are made aware of them !
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by HansGolden
Did you mean that many come for the deals and stay for the points? Because what you said militates against what you said.
They will come for the points, which they can still see without becoming a member and logging in. However, instead of staying for the deals, they will move on because they cannot see the deal forum if this motion passes. It will be "ok, this is a points forum, I've seen all this website has to offer, time to move on" because they haven't registered and don't see the deals. The real key for FT should be increasing the number of contributing members. This will do the most in the long term to increase the viability of FT for the community. Someone registering just to register to see MR deals does not do that. This motion should be viewed with the lens of "Will this motion increase the value of FT for its user community? Will it create more active, contributing members with new ideas who can expand the community and the value it creates?" I lean towards no as the answer for both of those questions personally.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HansGolden
No...I mean what I said. Sure, I think a lot of people come for the deals (especially given the fact that the media's main sources about anything travel related these days seems to be FlyerTalk.com and MilePoint.com) - but I think there are those that find FT because they were searching for something on their particular hotel and/or airline - then they start exploring & see the MR deals section and stick around because of things like that. I think that some lurkers search something specific about a service provider & find FT and then end up exploring more of FT & that the MR forum is one of those things that keep people coming back. If a registration requirement is needed to view it, many people won't know it exists...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:00 pm

Programs: Nothing worth mentioning
Thumbs up

Previous discussions were aimed at restricting newbies from using MR forum until they had a certain number of posts. This I disagreed with, as the MR Forum is one of the best inducements to attract new people to FT & they often offer great deals in their 1st posts.

This new proposal just asks that one be a member of the FT community & login: very reasonable & I support it.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
Support.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Why is it be anymore compelling that a newbie mod gives a thumbs up than a general member?
I appreciate your interest in my new role however my name wasn't the only one listed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.