Wiki Posts
Search

Comments Welcome: Voting Underway-Create Spirit Airlines Forum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:19 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by aztimm
So I'd assume the TB will be evaluating the existing Flyertalk forums soon--or maybe has already--as we're already into February. Is this correct?

Is this report available to the general population of Flyertalk after the TB review takes place?
Yes. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...tatistics.html

I expect to be repeating that counting exercise starting next week and possibly finishing in March to give a reasonable count period.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:30 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This thread has been very enlightening for me. Thanks to everyone for the great presentation of reasons pro and con.

I was completely undecided, but now I am leaning very much in favor of a Spirit forum. My reasons:

1. Spirit's business model is very different from that of the typical airline. Fee-happy airlines like Spirit beg for discussion of the pros and cons.

2. Spirit's fare and fee structure lends itself to gaming, and FT is all about gaming every system.

3. The travel experience is very different and it lends itself to griping, something that we do a lot of here.

4. Having a forum may promote more member effort on FAQs and Wikis, since those will become much more prominent and easier to find.

If the current proposal does not pass, I might attempt a proposal later in the year for a combined "Spirit/RyanAir/EasyJet plus other fee-happy airlines" forum.

If this proposal passes, perhaps our Community Director can make a tweak on her own to accommodate Ryanair and EasyJet in the forum.

Either way, I'm pretty sure we'll eventually have a forum for fee-happy airlines here. In the meantime, those who badly want such a forum should get off their rear ends and put in the effort to create a Wiki or other valuable content that will then be begging for a good home. @:-)
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
There have been a lot of helpful people here, both Talkboard & Standard Members, Thank You to all!! Reading through the other forum proposals it is interesting to note, that most respondents had a positive view of the airline and its services. Here not so much, more like the direct opposite, with Spirit.

Overall, I am happy about the argument I gave for this forum. It was an unusual strategy, based on unusual events, for a "unique" airline. Looking back, there really was no guidelines here, as this was unchartered water; based on the strange circumstances of events and the controversial nature of Spirit.

Personally, I wish the majority of airlines were going toward the Virgin model, rather than Spirit's. There needs to be a good amount of humor when looking at this airline. I mean who would ever come up with the "Department of Transportation's unintended consequences fee".

Its so strange it has to be real, but who really could dream up this crap in the first place? Oh yes, it must be former US Airways Visionary, Spirit CEO Ben Baldanza: here with his 2010 TV ad about why new carryon fees are a good thing,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omYDG-YuSxI

Last edited by gkbiiii; Feb 11, 2012 at 1:25 pm
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: Switched from UA 1K to AA so I could earn EQD's on partners. Mid-tier on most major hotel programs.
I absolutely think there should be a Spirit forum. While it may not draw a lot of posts, at least initially, the posts will still be helpful to those looking at Spirit. For example, the Club Carlson forum is on the lower side of post counts, but its existence has sure helped me out. I don't see the harm of having more forums even if some of them have relatively low thread counts.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
This thread has been very enlightening for me. Thanks to everyone for the great presentation of reasons pro and con.

I was completely undecided, but now I am leaning very much in favor of a Spirit forum. My reasons:

1. Spirit's business model is very different from that of the typical airline. Fee-happy airlines like Spirit beg for discussion of the pros and cons.

2. Spirit's fare and fee structure lends itself to gaming, and FT is all about gaming every system.

3. The travel experience is very different and it lends itself to griping, something that we do a lot of here.

4. Having a forum may promote more member effort on FAQs and Wikis, since those will become much more prominent and easier to find.

If the current proposal does not pass, I might attempt a proposal later in the year for a combined "Spirit/RyanAir/EasyJet plus other fee-happy airlines" forum.

If this proposal passes, perhaps our Community Director can make a tweak on her own to accommodate Ryanair and EasyJet in the forum.

Either way, I'm pretty sure we'll eventually have a forum for fee-happy airlines here. In the meantime, those who badly want such a forum should get off their rear ends and put in the effort to create a Wiki or other valuable content that will then be begging for a good home. @:-)
A comprehensive analysis.. Sometimes its more than post counts that garners attention.:-:
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:22 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Yes, Spirit sounds like they have very well thought out marketing program.. almost makes you think.

Perhaps, the unique offerings of Spirit shall push the number of votes enough to pass.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, SPG, Hilton HHonors
Yes. I agree a forum for Spirit should be created.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 2:03 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I flew Spirit Airlines 1 time a few weeks ago MCO-FLL and I woundered why there was no forum. They do have a frequent flyer program but I saw it was not listed. I vote for a forum.
I have a question from my flight experience. On Spirit, you have to pay extra if you want to put a bag in the overhead. How do they know whether you paid or not. I noticed people getting on the plane with large bags and no one was checking to verify payment.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 5:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by nsx

Interesting and thoughful analysis ^

Just wondering though, the criteria above is not unique to Spirit. In fact it's common across many airlines spread across a variety of global markets. If a new forum is opened up for Spirit, where does this leave Easyjet, Ryanair, FlyBe and the scores of others?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 6:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage, mainly
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
I flew Spirit Airlines 1 time a few weeks ago MCO-FLL and I woundered why there was no forum. They do have a frequent flyer program but I saw it was not listed. I vote for a forum.
I have a question from my flight experience. On Spirit, you have to pay extra if you want to put a bag in the overhead. How do they know whether you paid or not. I noticed people getting on the plane with large bags and no one was checking to verify payment.
It's indicated on your boarding pass. Thought it was tricky the first time I flew Spirit too. And this likely would have been answered in a sticky IF WE HAD A FORUM
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by copyace
It's indicated on your boarding pass. Thought it was tricky the first time I flew Spirit too. And this likely would have been answered in a sticky IF WE HAD A FORUM
Like many other airlines did before they got a forum, such as IB, you can always create a sticky in the Other Airlines forum
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:07 am
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Prospero
If a new forum is opened up for Spirit, where does this leave Easyjet, Ryanair, FlyBe and the scores of others?
I would argue that those airlines should be discussed in the Spirit forum. The TalkBoard might recommend that, or the Community Director could do so. It's just a matter of tweaking the name or subheading of the forum.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by nsx
I would argue that those airlines should be discussed in the Spirit forum. The TalkBoard might recommend that, or the Community Director could do so. It's just a matter of tweaking the name or subheading of the forum.
But they're not connected at all! That's akin to discussing LH in the AC forum
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by nsx
Isn't the current Budget Travel or a child of BT a better home?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nsx
Definitely an option to categorize smaller airlines in subforums.. that way they've got their own forum, but not clogging up the front page of the airline forum..

Perhaps, all airlines could be reviewed and determined if a front page forum, or a subcategory forum is warranted..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.