Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion re: resolution asking Internet Brands to implement wiki-posts on FlyerTalk

Old Apr 24, 2013, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBxAnders
02/27 BUG FIX TEST

This is the wiki to thank Carol and IB for getting this done!

Signed,

kokonutz
jackal
jatink129
MSPeconomist
goalie
SkiAdcock
JDiver
HansGolden
<insert your name here>

* removed the pester comment

(N.B. You can suppress Wikiposts in your personal settings, and you can toggle a Wikipost on and off using the [-] [+] box in the upper right cornet of the Wikipost (mouseover reveals "Hide Wikipost").
Print Wikipost

Discussion re: resolution asking Internet Brands to implement wiki-posts on FlyerTalk

Old Sep 27, 2012, 11:28 am

ok, thanks. Someone had said this was "a technology, not willpower" issue. So I figure if one of these two apps works, then after some investigation/testing, we should have this soon, right?
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by libralibra
ok, thanks. Someone had said this was "a technology, not willpower" issue. So I figure if one of these two apps works, then after some investigation/testing, we should have this soon, right?
(bolding mine)

Well, I don't know how soon is soon enough for you but according to the original suggestion thread, testing/investigation has been conducted since 2009 and as of today, FTers are yet to see any implementation of wikiposts:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/sugge...s-threads.html
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:40 pm

oh oh. It does sound more like a willpower than tech issue then. Was this thread set up just as a tease? :/
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

has there been any discussion of moderator action against members (new or not) who make a habit of deleting wiki content simply to be disruptive?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:42 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
has there been any discussion of moderator action against members (new or not) who make a habit of deleting wiki content simply to be disruptive?
No.

We have two forums where wiki capability has been enacted: AA and AS. It was turned on Friday afternoon. See an example here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

While testing is in beta phase, only moderators are able to create the wikis.

We are very enthusiastic about the Wiki capability that IB has developed. It's a first post wiki, so the information will be highly visible.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to clarify, i meant discussion in mod forum as well as raising issues like that as part of how exactly the wikis will be operated and managed. separate but related issues.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We have two forums where wiki capability has been enacted: AA and AS. It was turned on Friday afternoon. See an example here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

While testing is in beta phase, only moderators are able to create the wikis.
that works for me, as a non wiki person - actually "above" thread, and toggles.
nice, and nice to see it started. good work by those who discussed and IB. ^
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:53 am

What about a board-wide annoucement for wikiposts in beta?

Glad to know, after almost 4.5 years of suggesting a wikipost feature on FT, we now have it in beta.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We have two forums where wiki capability has been enacted: AA and AS. It was turned on Friday afternoon. <snip>

We are very enthusiastic about the Wiki capability that IB has developed. It's a first post wiki, so the information will be highly visible.
Other than the two test fora, it seems there's no any board-wide announcement for this wikipost beta yet. Not a frequent in either AS or AA Forum, if I hadn't been following all the threads in TB Topics Forum, I probably wouldn't even know IB has moved on to the beta stage of wikiposts.

Is it possible to have a board-wide announcement soon so every FTer can be kept in the loop?
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lin821
Is it possible to have a board-wide announcement soon so every FTer can be kept in the loop?
lin821, I expect that as soon any glitches are discovered and repaired, ability for users to create wiki posts will be enabled. That would be the best time to announce it without creating frustration.

Thank you for your excellent and eloquent advocacy of this idea way back when. TalkBoard member jackal championed the cause this year, and then Internet Brands surprised us all with an outstanding implementation.

As I said to the TalkBoard, it looks as if Internet Brands has opened the "new feature" candy store to us. If we can define a valuable new feature, IB will probably be willing and able to implement it for us. That means that we need as many great new ideas as possible here on TalkBoard Topics.

I don't think you'll have to wait 4 years next time!
Old Oct 29, 2012, 1:26 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Other than the two test fora, it seems there's no any board-wide announcement for this wikipost beta yet. Not a frequent in either AS or AA Forum, if I hadn't been following all the threads in TB Topics Forum, I probably wouldn't even know IB has moved on to the beta stage of wikiposts.
An announcement was posted here at The Gate and there will also be an announcement included in the TalkMail Newsletter.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
IB previously implemented Wikiposts in Beta in several fora, and has now rolled them out cross-forum. For the moment, as they work some bugs and policy out, these are currently operable by forum Ambassadors and Moderators; nonetheless, this is a major expansion (and there are still some small bugs that need to be hunted down and exterminated).

It's exciting to have this new tool, IMO, and we can look to the future with Wikiposts that are truly Wiki-compatible, in the purview of the membership. As many good things, it can take a while to implement these - our version of VB has, as I understand it, been significantly modified and added to, and may have the largest BBs running on this system. But t least today we have Wikiposts in nearly every forum! ^

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 26, 2013 at 9:31 am
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
IB previously implemented Wikiposts in Beta in several fora, and has now rolled them out cross-forum.
Are you saying wikiposts have been enabled in every forum on FT, as of now?
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Are you saying wikiposts have been enabled in every forum on FT, as of now?
That is correct. But only mods and ambassadors currently have the ability to create or edit them.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by jackal
That is correct. But only mods and ambassadors currently have the ability to create or edit them.
I interpret currently to mean that at some point (after bugs & policy is sorted) that wikis will be open to FTers to create/edit them.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:36 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I interpret currently to mean that at some point (after bugs & policy is sorted) that wikis will be open to FTers to create/edit them.
You interpret correctly.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:38 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's right. We need the help of every willing poster on FT to create these resource posts. It would be great if every master thread on a hotel in each hotel forum had a wiki post, capturing key information about the hotel. And that's just one example of the valuable work that can be done. We hope that folks will find their own "little patch of grass" to tend and help keep current.

We're trying to be mindful in how we roll this out and not get ahead of ourselves. In the first phase, we found some technical hiccups that the IB tech team has addressed. Now, with wide deployment across FT, we'll find out if there is more that needs done from a technical design standpoint. By early summer, we hope to open up permissions for everyone who meets some metric of time on FT and number of posts.

We currently plan no wiki capability in the Omnis.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.