Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal for New Spirit Forum (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal for New Spirit Forum (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Lightbulb Proposal for New Spirit Forum (merged threads)

I am proposing that “The Ultra-Low-Cost Airline of the Americas”, Spirit Airlines, be given its own forum.

1. Will the Spirit forum be beneficial to FlyerTalk?

Yes, there is a solid need for the introduction of a Spirit forum; as there are many questions and discussion about Spirit and their internal policies.

2. Will the new Spirit forum benefit be a relationship to FlyerTalk? Will the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in this company.
Possibly Spirit airlines might take an interest in the flyertalk community, if asked to do so. There really are many areas to address with Spirit Leadership.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss the subject of Spirit Airlines?

Yes, there really are few areas to gain an understanding of this complex airline, than the flyertalk community.

4. Is there a passionate following for Spirit? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered, about this controversial airline.

Passion does not need to mean that people need like Spirit! There are many people on flyertalk that HATE Spirit, thus there is true passion about this Floridian Airline!!!

5. Is there a critical mass of posts and readers with Spirit, anticipated or existing?

There are more comments about Spirit on the “other North/South American forum, as well as other general forums”, than for any other airline!!!!

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

There is a real need for a Spirit forum and in my opionion Spirit would already have its own forum if it were not for that many hate the airline, due to its fees and policies. It’s really not fair to discriminate against Spirit, just because many don’t like the airline and its policies. Unlike both Southwest & JetBlue; Spirit does have a type of Business seating (Big Front Seat), flies extensively internationally (the Caribbean, Latin & Northern South America), a unique flyer program.

In conclusion Spirit airlines, does deserve its own forum based on the consistent requests for information about it. I understand that they are very controversial, thus there would be a large amount of conversation in the new forum, throughout the upcoming years.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For historical information (noting a lot has changed over the past several years) -

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-airlines.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...us-forums.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-its-time.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/town-...air-forum.html

I see more demand for it now (at least more threads) - but the program still is in infancy as far as I can tell (1 credit card offer & 1 partner - Choice Hotels).

3 month expiration policy? Possibly the worst in the industry.

Use miles to "upgrade"? Nope.

Personal bias against the program aside, is there really enough to discuss to warrant a standalone forum?
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Will there be a fee to use this forum?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
This is My Point, its not fair, nor right!!!!

I don't feel Spirit has been given the same review as many more liked airlines. Individual members personal perception has overtaken rational discussion. In other words personal/collective emotion has overtaken reason!

Its like Spirit, is the Rodney Dangerfield of Flyertalk!!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:18 am
Original Poster

UnTable the motion to create a Spirit Air forum

Question: how does one UnTable the motion to create a Spirit Air forum? It seems to me, that it should be put forth to a full vote of the Flyertalk membership.

It has been near SIX YEARS, (Mar 31, 06--Feb 7, 2012) yet is seems as though, that nothing has been done in any reguard. Thus my question is, why is this the case???

Last edited by gkbiiii; Feb 7, 2012 at 1:33 am
Old Feb 7, 2012, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by gkbiiii
I don't feel Spirit has been given the same review as many more liked airlines. Individual members personal perception has overtaken rational discussion. In other words personal/collective emotion has overtaken reason!

Its like Spirit, is the Rodney Dangerfield of Flyertalk!!
Spirit's disdain for customers could be responsible for that emotion. I have no strong feelings either way, though, to be honest.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I would rather not go than fly Spirit.

I also don't see a need for a forum for an airline with a lousy FF program, lousy customer service, and has only gotten some mention lately because of their PR machine re: being forced to so AI pricing.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Personal feelings about the airline aside, I would be in favor of a Spirit forum...if only to give posters one centralized place to complain about the ridiculous # of fees, the hard, tiny seats and the general wretchedness of the Spirit experience. ^

But seriously, sure, they are here and a player. Hard to ignore this footprint:

http://www.spirit.com/images/base/co.../route_map.jpg
Old Feb 7, 2012, 7:51 am

Talking

Question: how does one UnTable the motion to create a Spirit Air forum? It seems to me, that it should be put forth to a full vote of the Flyertalk membership.

It has been near SIX YEARS, (Mar 31, 06--Feb 7, 2012) yet is seems as though, that nothing has been done in any reguard. Thus my question is, why is this the case???

Because Spirit isn't a real airline. It's just a greyhound with wings.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York

That's really why we have the Board here. I'm guessing a Mod will be able to link this to any open motions.

Mike
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:09 am

Haha. It is just funny because all it takes is 2 minutes worth of time to realize if a Spirit air flight is $225, and any other carrier is $230 (including jet blue/frontier/southwest)...you fly the other carrier.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As I posted in the private TB forum not that long ago:

In checking the Other Airlines/North South America forum, Spirit averages 5-7 posts/month. That's not much for an airline, and isn't going to pass points #4,5,7 in the criteria for new forums.

Cheers.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Well you need more than one person interested enough to post on a Spirit forum. Seriously, what are you going to talk about, the StripperMobiles advertising campaign they used last year in LA to promote their new LAX-LAS $9 (before fees, surcharges, and taxes) route.

Last edited by eknock007; Feb 7, 2012 at 9:41 am
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:55 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
The more odious an airline the more urgent a need for its own forum.

Admittedly nobody is going to write home about Spirit's FF programme but a dedicated forum is a chance for FT to flex its consumer interest muscles and become the ideal meeting place for the thousands of Spirit customers that surely must search google for kindred 'spirits'
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
The more odious an airline the more urgent a need for its own forum.

Admittedly nobody is going to write home about Spirit's FF programme but a dedicated forum is a chance for FT to flex its consumer interest muscles and become the ideal meeting place for the thousands of Spirit customers that surely must search google for kindred 'spirits'
This is the best argument I've seen for a forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.