Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion: TalkBoard motion pass/fail results reported in real-time? & related.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by RichMSN
162, 106, 103, 39, 34, 32, 23, 17, 0.
Sounds like those w/ more than 100 have too much time on their hands (odds are I'm one of them LOL).

Cheers.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Sounds like those w/ more than 100 have too much time on their hands (odds are I'm one of them LOL).

Cheers.
We have a winner.

I've been "not traveling" the past few weeks, so it's been easy to get into conversations and the like here. I'm sure the number will slow for me, but not to 0.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I would support this, *but* I have concerns about the pressure put on voters who may simply be away from their computers for a few days.
Rich, as you know I voted for you for TB, and in general I am happy that I did, but I have to call "bull" on this.

This would not put any pressure on voters and would, in fact, reduce it.

Let's say that YOU have not yet voted but the motion either passed or failed. Why, if the results were to be announced, would you feel any pressure? You would still have the full two-week period in which to vote and who voted would not be announced until that time was up. Only the "pass" or "defeated" announcement would be made.

On the other hand, the status quo remains, a vote has already passed (or been defeated) and you had not voted, if you cared even the tiniest bit about the members who want to know the results, you might well feel pressured to get your vote in.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:03 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

Cheers.
If that 162 is me, I may indeed need to get a life.

How does one divine these numbers, pray tell!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
Rich, as you know I voted for you for TB, and in general I am happy that I did, but I have to call "bull" on this.

Let's say that YOU have not yet voted but the motion either passed or failed. Why, if the results were to be announced, would you feel any pressure? You would still have the full two-week period in which to vote and who voted would not be announced until that time was up. Only the "pass" or "defeated" announcement would be made.

On the other hand, the status quo remains, a vote has already passed (or been defeated) and you had not voted, if you cared even the tiniest bit about the members who want to know the results, you might well feel pressured to get your vote in.
He was referring to my proposal to do the TB vote 'polls' in this forum rather than in the private TB forum, allowing posters here to see how each of us are voting at any given moment during the 2 week period.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by kokonutz
He was referring to my proposal to do the TB vote 'polls' in this forum rather than in the private TB forum, allowing posters here to see how each of us are voting at any given moment during the 2 week period.
In that case, I misunderstood and I apologize.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Dovster

Dov, I think Rich's comment about putting pressure on voters is in regards to public voting, not simply announcing if a motion has received enough votes to pass. Koko favors conducting the voting in public, i.e., just TB votes in the poll, but everyone has read-only access to it, and can see who has voted and how.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that 162 is me, I may indeed need to get a life.

How does one divine these numbers, pray tell!
No, it's me. I'm the one with no life. You are next, though.

I did a search (9 simple searches, actually) on the TB Topics forum by name of the TB members using the last month and reporting by posts, not threads.

Dov, I was talking about public voting.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Nothing wrong with that, in fact I wish there would be some more active participation by TB members.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Here are the number of posts made in the last month by TalkBoard members in this forum:

162, 106, 103, 39, 34, 32, 23, 17, 0.
Last year we had two Talk Board members that were at "0" for several months. Until the Talk Board members change the rules there's no requirement for them to participate publicly.

SkiAdcock did raise the issue in 2010 but not enough support, I gather, to get any changes made.
Adjusting bylaws to require TB members actually have to post in TB threads

And just last year we had discussion about two Talk Board members that had abandoned posting in the public forum:
Expectations of TB members communicating with members
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tom911
Last year we had two Talk Board members that were at "0" for several months. Until the Talk Board members change the rules there's no requirement for them to participate publicly.

SkiAdcock did raise the issue in 2010 but not enough support, I gather, to get any changes made.
Adjusting bylaws to require TB members actually have to post in TB threads

And just last year we had discussion about two Talk Board members that had abandoned posting in the public forum:
Expectations of TB members communicating with members
Voting doesn't count as a post.. so still possible that TB members can be involved, but not posting..
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Voting doesn't count as a post.. so still possible that TB members can be involved, but not posting..
That's not participating. At least not in my book.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:37 am
Original Poster

That's not participating. At least not in my book.
But, according to the TB guidelines, that is considered participating, isn't it?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by kipper
But, according to the TB guidelines, that is considered participating, isn't it?
Indeed, there is no requirement for a TB member to post here.

It's really, really, really poor form, imho, for a TB member to not post here.

But that's just one poster's opinion.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Indeed, there is no requirement for a TB member to post here.

It's really, really, really poor form, imho, for a TB member to not post here.

But that's just one poster's opinion.
TB member interaction here at least gives the illusion that they are willing to share their opinions with the general public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.