Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Question: Does Toronto really need it's own Sub-Forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Considering that the Canada forum is somewhat under-populated with traffic (well it is Canada ) it makes little sense that Toronto should have it's own sub-forum...
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:50 pm

Are you suggesting that the centre of the universe NOT have its own subforum?!

I did wonder about that. We are discussing geographic fora and subfora on another thread, and I wondered why Toronto (and not Montreal, or Vancouver) has a subforum.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exbayern
Are you suggesting that the centre of the universe NOT have its own subforum?!

I did wonder about that. We are discussing geographic fora and subfora on another thread, and I wondered why Toronto (and not Montreal, or Vancouver) has a subforum.
Really, why should Toronto have it's own sub-forum when a place like Tokyo(fill in any other center of the universe place) doesn't ? And I am NOT saying Tokyo should have it's own forum.....(as I was the one that instituted the name change of the Tokyo forum to Japan forum).
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:47 pm

It looks like the majority of threads on page 1 of the Toronto subforum are about the airport, and not the city. Interesting.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
No, I don't think it does to answer OP's question especially when other world capitals like NRT or CDG don't have their own and are IMHO far more deserving.

However those of us in the ROC (Rest of Canada) have grown so accustomed to this special preferential treatment bestowed upon Toronto as COTU (Centre Of The Universe) that I really hadn't thought to question it before now.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:09 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Perhaps someone on TalkBoard could bring this up for discussion on the private TalkBoard forum? Or, is this a case for Carol as Community Director, to just do this? I'd like to think it's something TalkBoard should handle, but...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I think it's an artefact from a time when airports had their own forums, so there were a few anomalies (UK & Ireland and London being two separate forums as well at one point) when airports were merged into destinations. We improved the UK forum by merging the two forums as many who could answer questions about London could also answer about the UK generally. It's also why cities like NYC and LA have separate forums too - they started out as airport forums too.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Are there any other under-performing geographic sub-forums that folks want us to look at?

Rather do them all at once if there are more.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:19 am

That is a difficult one to answer. I wouldn't want to judge a forum based on post speed if it serves a need. For instance, the Germany forum gets quite a bit of traffic, but there are about 10 thread topics which repeat on a rather regular basis, so that doesn't really mean that it is more valuable than one like Argentina (just taking a random example)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Are there any other under-performing geographic sub-forums that folks want us to look at?

Rather do them all at once if there are more.
I'm willing to do them individually & think about this one if it makes sense.

Cheers.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you for at taking the time to consider this.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
There should be criteria set to qualify sub forums and forums quantitatively.. qualitative, is in the eye of the beholder.. Torontonians likely want a Toronto sub forum
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:12 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
So the proposed motion is:

The TalkBoard recommends that the Toronto subforum be eliminated and the threads therein be placed in the Canada forum.

Correct?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
That would seem appropriate wording. Might be a good idea to start a thread in the Toronto/Canada forums to get the users' feedback?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
What would be handy is a Sticky at the top of the merged Canada forum on Intl/US and US/Intl transit at YYZ YVR and YUL. There seems to more flight option US TPAC via YVR and US TALT via YYZ/YUL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.