Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Aeroflot +++ forum

Aeroflot +++ forum

 

Old Feb 29, 12, 7:13 am
  #61  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 7
Lightbulb

This is a good suggestion. I wish other major airlines will be included here as well.
georgecombey is offline  
Old Feb 29, 12, 12:15 pm
  #62  
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: HEL
Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Posts: 3,399
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
S would "Airlines of Russia and the former USSR/Soviet Union" (pick one of those) be acceptable?
"Airlines of Russia and the former Soviet Union" would probably be the least bad option. There will always be some confusion regarding specific airlines, and IMO the Baltic airlines will probably continue to be discussed where most of their action is now, BT in the SAS forum etc.
SPBanker is online now  
Old Mar 6, 12, 1:08 pm
  #63  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 65,601
So are you all ok w/ "Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union" then?

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Mar 6, 12, 1:24 pm
  #64  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,112
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
So are you all ok w/ "Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union" then?

Cheers.
As nted here, I think simply, "Airlines of Russia" would be best. If the name does refer to any additional areas, they should be modern references, as to the CIS, and not the Soviet Union. The addition of the CIS to a brief description would be good, IMHO.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Mar 6, 12, 2:13 pm
  #65  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Posts: 3,360
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
So are you all ok w/ "Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union" then?

Cheers.
I think this had most "votes". Former Sovietunion is better than CIS, as CIS is much more limited.

If we can leave it upto the mods and users, OR simply add specifications in description, then Airlines of Russia sounds easy and good, even if we include the more modern CIS.
travelkid is offline  
Old Mar 6, 12, 5:00 pm
  #66  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 65,601
So, is it:

* Airlines of Russia, or
* Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union?

And what is the 'description' going to be if you want specifics there?

Please note I've only been to Russia once & not that up on the area/geography or the airlines.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Mar 7, 12, 3:17 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: LHR/SEA/DME
Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Posts: 747
My vote goes to the former ("Airlines of Russia"); if I have a right of say here
luitje is offline  
Old Mar 7, 12, 1:29 pm
  #68  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,112
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
So, is it:

* Airlines of Russia, or
* Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union?

And what is the 'description' going to be if you want specifics there?

Please note I've only been to Russia once & not that up on the area/geography or the airlines.

Cheers.
The Soviet Union has nt existed in over 20 years. I can't see how that can be used in the name. The CIS certainly does exist, and IMHO covers the areas one would expect to be covered by this forum. I highly suspect that Ukraine and the Baltic states would not wish to be lumped in with Russia. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I would go with simply, "Airlines of Russia." As far as the description is concerned, how 'bout this:
"Aeroflot, S7, Transaero and other airlines based in Russia and the CIS."

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 8, 12 at 1:46 pm
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Mar 8, 12, 1:29 pm
  #69  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 65,601
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
I would go with simply, "Airlines of Russia." As far as the description is concerned, how 'bout this:
"Aeroflot, S7, Transaero and other airlines based in Russia and the CIS."
Works for me. I'll wait until tomorrow to see if anyone else has any input.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Mar 11, 12, 11:42 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 1,145
I disagree with calling it only the "Airlines of Russia" forum. Many of us who are based in this part of the world fly frequently between Russia and many of the other countries in the region, often using non-Russian airlines. I would like to ensure that AeroSvit, Air Astana, Azerbaijan Airlines, and other similar airlines are included.

And I am sure that people from other countries will have less of an issue being told "use the Airlines of Former Soviet Union (or even Airlines of the CIS) forum" than "use the Airlines of Russia forum".

As to whether CIS or "former Soviet Union" is more correct, there is no clear answer. While "CIS" is more current than "former Soviet Union", it excludes some countries and frankly the CIS is largely irrelevant to people. But it is a more accepted term in the corporate world.
lewinr is offline  
Old Mar 11, 12, 2:15 pm
  #71  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Posts: 3,360
Originally Posted by lewinr View Post
I disagree with calling it only the "Airlines of Russia" forum. Many of us who are based in this part of the world fly frequently between Russia and many of the other countries in the region, often using non-Russian airlines. I would like to ensure that AeroSvit, Air Astana, Azerbaijan Airlines, and other similar airlines are included.

And I am sure that people from other countries will have less of an issue being told "use the Airlines of Former Soviet Union (or even Airlines of the CIS) forum" than "use the Airlines of Russia forum".

As to whether CIS or "former Soviet Union" is more correct, there is no clear answer. While "CIS" is more current than "former Soviet Union", it excludes some countries and frankly the CIS is largely irrelevant to people. But it is a more accepted term in the corporate world.
IMO best summary so far. Airlines of Russia including former Sovietunion.
travelkid is offline  
Old Mar 11, 12, 4:55 pm
  #72  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: LON SIN HKG
Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
Posts: 433
"Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union"

I am happy to cast a vote in favour of
"Airlines of Russia & the former Soviet Union"
Flying Bat is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 3:50 am
  #73  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,112
Originally Posted by lewinr View Post
As to whether CIS or "former Soviet Union" is more correct, there is no clear answer. While "CIS" is more current than "former Soviet Union", it excludes some countries and frankly the CIS is largely irrelevant to people. But it is a more accepted term in the corporate world.
One could also argue that the Soviet Union is also largely irrelevant to peple by now. Which countries does the CIS moniker exclude that you feel should be included? Perhaps they should be included in the title or subtitle.
Xyzzy is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 5:39 am
  #74  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Posts: 3,360
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
One could also argue that the Soviet Union is also largely irrelevant to peple by now. Which countries does the CIS moniker exclude that you feel should be included? Perhaps they should be included in the title or subtitle.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States

Sovietunion is a static fact, while CIS is rather dynamic, leading to later changes. But by all means, CIS is more modern (but I dont think it is as clear to most as Sovietunion).

Then description should add; The Baltic states, Georgia, and also Ukraine and Turkmenistan as they are not full members anymore. Actually it would make sense to name all the 15 countries in the description if there is space.
travelkid is offline  
Old Mar 12, 12, 6:02 am
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,112
Originally Posted by travelkid View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonw...pendent_States

Sovietunion is a static fact, while CIS is rather dynamic, leading to later changes. But by all means, CIS is more modern (but I dont think it is as clear to most as Sovietunion).

Then description should add; The Baltic states, Georgia, and also Ukraine and Turkmenistan as they are not full members anymore. Actually it would make sense to name all the 15 countries in the description if there is space.
I think SkiAdcock would appreciate any proposal being fully spelled out, with title and sub-title. Do yu mean something like this?:
Airlines of Russia and the CIS
Aeroflot, Aerosvit, S7, Transaero and other airlines based in Russia, the Baltic states, Georgia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, and the CIS.
I'll once again state that I believe the Baltic states, Georgia, and Ukraine at least are likely to be unhappy at being lumped in with Russia. I'm no expert in such matters, though.
Xyzzy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread