Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Motion Passed - Create a Games Forum under the Omni Category

“Moved by nsx and seconded by Cholula:

Creation of a Games forum

The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Games forum under the OMNI category intended for threads such as the following:

1. Counting games
2. Word association games
3. Threads for posting the time of day
4. FT-specific but not forum-specific contests and giveaways where posting in the thread gives you a chance to win, even if you only win bragging rights
5. Any thread that has in the moderators' judgment has become a game.

Although the moderators always have the final decision on whether and where to move any thread, in the TalkBoard's opinion Lounge threads in non-OMNI forums are not Game threads.”

This vote will close on January 31, 2012 at 11:03 pm or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are ‘yes’ and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes.'

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Oppose.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I support this motion.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:43 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Oppose.
Why? I know the arguments in favor of the proposal, but I'd like to hear the arguments against it in case I overlooked something.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nsx
Why? I know the arguments in favor of the proposal, but I'd like to hear the arguments against it in case I overlooked something.
Because we all know that posts in a "Games" forum will contribute as much to the FT community as some of the posts in a Lounge forum or OMNI - nothing. I think we ought to stick with consistency and count ALL posts if that's the direction in which we're moving. I understand that the idea of segregating "Games" threads/posts is appealing because it's easy to identify that those posts don't add community value or could lead to post-padding (if that's what TB is worried about), but there are and will be numerous posts in Lounge forums or in OMNI that would probably deserve to be segregated from a member's post count on the same grounds, but they aren't as easy to identify.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Perfect post count justice is not attainable. Even if it were, people disagree on what it means.

Nevertheless, I hope you would agree that if OMNI posts are to be counted then this proposal moves in the right direction.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nsx
Perfect post count justice is not attainable. Even if it were, people disagree on what it means.

Nevertheless, I hope you would agree that if OMNI posts are to be counted then this proposal moves in the right direction.
This is exactly why I oppose the motion. Identifying Games posts that don't contribute to the main mission of FT is easy, but there are so many others in OMNI, Lounges, and elsewhere that fall in the same vein.

Just count everything and be done with it.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:31 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx

Perfect post count justice, going forward at least, is attainable. Simply count all posts.
This is exactly why I oppose the motion. Identifying Games posts that don't contribute to the main mission of FT is easy, but there are so many others in OMNI, Lounges, and elsewhere that fall in the same vein.

Just count everything and be done with it.
I agree with you.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
I support the creation of a Games thread. I would prefer it be stand alone. I would support a count exclusive to games thread as long as it is stand alone.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Oppose.
+1

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I support this motion.
+1

(I think I have just made this a game thread.)
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Pegasus23
I support the creation of a Games thread. I would prefer it be stand alone. I would support a count exclusive to games thread as long as it is stand alone.
Right. I agree. They should be right direction for everyone else.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Better organization to have all the games under one forum/heading..
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: HH Silver
Opposed. Enough with the massive FT makeover, which itself seems almost a game within a game.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
“Moved by nsx and seconded by Cholula:

Creation of a Games forum

<snip>

Although the moderators always have the final decision on whether and where to move any thread, in the TalkBoard's opinion Lounge threads in non-OMNI forums are not Game threads.”
Of course they are. Put the lounge threads over there, too. And any other threads designed to pad posts without providing substance -- if they *really* have any use, people will follow them over there.

(If the posts aren't counted, the lounge threads would die in a week, I'd bet.)
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Put the lounge threads over there, too.
Let's not rehash the whole lounge subforum in OMNI debate, OK?

This motion is about OMNI Games Forum. Let's try to stay on topic this time.

ETA:
Originally Posted by Counsellor
(If the posts aren't counted, the lounge threads would die in a week, I'd bet.)
You can't be more wrong. It can die even when posts are counting. Lounge threads are never about counting posts.

A home doesn't become empty just because of change of address.

Last edited by lin821; Jan 19, 2012 at 10:16 am Reason: ETA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.