Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I support this motion
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I oppose it

It boggles my mind the amount of time people spend discussing the game threads. I've been around here for a dozen years, and for the most part, with one or two exceptions, I just ignore them. I may do the Thank God It's Friday from time to time, but I personally know it' snot really all that hard to just ignore them and skip over them.

Are there people who have to open and read each and every thread?

I also think certain threads are being singled out when there are entire forums elsewhere totally considered OK that have little to do with travel. Are those forums next? One by one will there be a proposal to split every forum on Flyertalk into part that post count doesn't count for the off topic discussions?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I had hoped to have some time between when OMNI posts started counting and the deadline for this vote in order to gauge whether a new games forum was actually called for, or if there was a bit of chicken little going on.

Alas, that period for observation is not forthcoming as OMNI posts are still not counting.

So I voted no on this proposal.

I see a lot of grey areas in the definition of 'games,' so I'd prefer to see a need for a separate games forum arise before creating one.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
support
why?

if wwbtnftmtp get's into games forum - there will be even less people posting.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by chrissxb
why?

if wwbtnftmtp get's into games forum - there will be even less people posting.
Less posting (or posting that doesn't count on the post count) seems to be why TB is generally supporting this motion.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:26 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I support this motion.

Thanking God that it is Friday does not "contribute to the community" much at all. OMNI/PR at least has some substance, and lounge threads/OMNI serve for community building.

Games serve for post count padding.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I had hoped to have some time between when OMNI posts started counting and the deadline for this vote in order to gauge whether a new games forum was actually called for, or if there was a bit of chicken little going on.

Alas, that period for observation is not forthcoming as OMNI posts are still not counting.

So I voted no on this proposal.

I see a lot of grey areas in the definition of 'games,' so I'd prefer to see a need for a separate games forum arise before creating one.
Outstanding logic! ^

Let's take a "wait and see" approach here, folks. No knee-jerk reaction required.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
I support this motion.

Thanking God that it is Friday does not "contribute to the community" much at all. OMNI/PR at least has some substance, and lounge threads/OMNI serve for community building.

Games serve for post count padding.
So you didn't buy into the need to count OMNI posts based on the "a post is a post is a post" logic? I thought folks who argued in favor of counting OMNI posts did so from the standpoint of "consistency".
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:56 am

I was under the impression that the point was to have every post count. Let games count and why move them?

BTW I think it was brought up that other forums count off topic threads so FT should. The ones I saw also counted games.

Maybe to remove all this post counting concerns, just have a field that you can enter any number you please. Set a limit, because a billion is just silly.

Also so CC and OMNI can retain their elite status, you would only be able to input your fantasy number after 180 posts or what not.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Flyertalk.

So now we're a gaming website? There's going to be a day when FT isn't known as a destination site for talk on miles and points.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by dhammer53
Flyertalk.

So now we're a gaming website? There's going to be a day when FT isn't known as a destination site for talk on miles and points.
If we can get the wiki-post thing worked out, FT will be THE place to go for not just miles and points but hotel information for elites, best bets for destinations, etc, etc. ^
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Flyertalk.

A bit over the top I think

Game threads already exist & have for years in Omni. So basically you're saying FT hasn't existed as a place for miles & points for years

Putting games in a sub-forum allows those FTers who play them to have a place to do so, without cluttering up the pages that some seem to object to, or anticipate doing so when the posts counts gets turned on; checking the threads in Omni for the last few weeks, 1-3 are on the front page, which is pretty consistent & not everwhelming.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Flyertalk.

Someday some people will realize that while points and miles are the reason the site is here in the first place, it's the community that's the glue that keeps everyone around. For some, it's non-stop talk about points and miles. For others, it's OMNI. For others, it's Lounge Threads. For yet others, it's game threads.

Oh, I forgot. Whoopie Do.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
If we can get the wiki-post thing worked out, FT will be THE place to go for not just miles and points but hotel information for elites, best bets for destinations, etc, etc. ^
I thought FlyerTalk was talk about mail out flyers .. didn't occur to me until after a few reads, it was all about flying, hotels, rental vehicles and more..
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Oh, I forgot. Whoopie Do.
Even though I've disagreed with you the past few days, I do agree with you on this comment.

The thing I like about Flyertalk, is that many of us really care about this place. ^

Dan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.