Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Motion Passed - Create a Games Forum under the Omni Category

Motion Passed - Create a Games Forum under the Omni Category

Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Of course they are. Put the lounge threads over there, too. And any other threads designed to pad posts without providing substance -- if they *really* have any use, people will follow them over there.

(If the posts aren't counted, the lounge threads would die in a week, I'd bet.)
We went over that as an example of the double standard of counting posts or not counting them.

The lounge-ites went into full tizzy over it.

Hence, making Omni posts count seemed to be the only way to go so all off-topic posts are treated the same.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Mary2e
We went over that as an example of the double standard of counting posts or not counting them.

Hence, making Omni posts count seemed to be the only way to go so all off-topic posts are treated the same.
As a lounge-ite, I can tell you that the problem was not whether the posts would be counted or not. We simply did not want our lounges sullied by the Omni atmosphere.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
As a lounge-ite, I can tell you that the problem was not whether the posts would be counted or not. We simply did not want our lounges sullied by the Omni atmosphere.
What Omni atmosphere? Omni-fluffy is back to the same, helpful, fun ways before the P/R took over. Now that it's been segregated out, I've seen quite a few people come back.

It's attitudes like yours that further the redheaded stepchild reputation.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Dovster
Dov, even though I am with you on this, don't let our "lounge talk" derail the motion at hand. As stated in OP, lounge threads are excluded in this motion.

This is about Games Subforum in OMNI.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by lin821
This motion is about OMNI Games Forum. Let's try to stay on topic this time.
Sorry, I thought the topic was gathering up all the non-substance threads and putting them together in one place.

Seems to me that Lounge threads clearly fit in that category, and indeed the person moving the question apparently thought so, too, hence they added the caveat that (despite their apparent fit) the "TalkBoard" didn't intend that result as to Lounge threads. My rejoinder is "why not?" If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, why not treat it like a duck?

Originally Posted by Mary2e

That's like saying that since some people like junk food we should call junk food "nutritious" on a board dedicated to nutrition or the Twinkies and soda crowd will get their knickers in a knot.

I have no problem with non-substantive threads or the people who like them; I'm just saying move them to the other side of the tracks so we don't keep stumbling over them when we look for travel-related information.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:48 am

I have no problem with non-substantive threads or the people who like them; I'm just saying move them to the other side of the tracks so we don't keep stumbling over them when we look for travel-related information.
If the off-topic nature of Omni was the reason for posts to not count any longer, then I could/may agree with you. However, that's not the reason he suddenly and without warned turned off counting in Omni - it was because of post-padding abuse and he was tired of hearing about it.

This whole issue never would have come up if he just would had stopped the post padders. I can't say I've seen any board, even those as specialized at FT, that don't count their off-topic area.

But I also believe OT shouldn't be in the main forums - and that may be where your issue really lies. If you don't want to see Omni you don't have to visit - you can even have it removed from your access if you don't want to see the threads under "new posts."
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sorry, I thought the topic was gathering up all the non-substance threads and putting them together in one place.

Seems to me that Lounge threads clearly fit in that category, and indeed the person moving the question apparently thought so, too, hence they added the caveat that (despite their apparent fit) the "TalkBoard" didn't intend that result as to Lounge threads. My rejoinder is "why not?" If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, and quacks like a duck, why not treat it like a duck?
Counsellor, you know I like & respect you, but I think you should read the posts in the link that lin821 posted above in its entirety before you comment on the Omni/lounge aspect. Also, a # of the posts in the long should posts count in Omni thread, which will provide further input & history.

The original motion to have post counts in Omni took all of that into consideration, and this motion takes all that into consideration as well.

And as lin821 pointed out, THIS thread is about creating a games forum under Omni. If you've got specific input for pros/cons of a games forum we're interested to hear them, but lounge threads going into the games forum is not on the table.

Cheers.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:12 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I sort of wavering on the side of "No" now. I think that in a few weeks we'll be back to the same 2-3 games that are always active in OMNI. I don't think that 2-3 active games rationalizes an entirely new forum.

Plus I'll miss that part of the OMNI community. I enjoy watching the numbers tick down even though I don't participate that frequently. If an OMNI games forum happens I'll have another another page to check daily.

I'm beginning to feel like the motion was a little premature. We should have waited a few weeks for the novality of OMNI counting to wear off and then re-evaluated.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
I sort of wavering on the side of "No" now. I think that in a few weeks we'll be back to the same 2-3 games that are always active in OMNI. I don't think that 2-3 active games rationalizes an entirely new forum.

Plus I'll miss that part of the OMNI community. I enjoy watching the numbers tick down even though I don't participate that frequently. If an OMNI games forum happens I'll have another another page to check daily.

I'm beginning to feel like the motion was a little premature. We should have waited a few weeks for the novality of OMNI counting to wear off and then re-evaluated.
Precisely. Let's wait and see before jumping to conclusions. Even then, I think the issue can be handled in a much better manner than excluding certain posts from the count. Let's be consistent here. Wasn't that the argument for counting OMNI posts?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:52 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by dchristiva
Precisely. Let's wait and see before jumping to conclusions. Even then, I think the issue can be handled in a much better manner than excluding certain posts from the count. Let's be consistent here. Wasn't that the argument for counting OMNI posts?
Yes, it was, and I think we should be consistent throughout FT.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:10 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
i strongly oppose counting games to be seperated. it serves bonding this community and should not be seen seperable from the rest of OMNI.
either they all count or they all dont count.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Yes to separate games forum.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
The TalkBoard recommends creation of a Games forum under the OMNI category intended for threads such as the following:

1. Counting games
2. Word association games
3. Threads for posting the time of day
4. FT-specific but not forum-specific contests and giveaways where posting in the thread gives you a chance to win, even if you only win bragging rights
5. Any thread that has in the moderators' judgment has become a game.
Does this thread fall into any of the above Game "definitions?" Just asking.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/dinin...our-mouth.html
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
support
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Should games posting be counted.. doesn't make sense.. but I think my opinion is soft and will go with what the majority feel here..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.