Wiki Posts
Search

Please help the TalkBoard describe a Games forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Cholula
Let's say a Games Sub Forum is created and we vote that the posts there shouldn't count while other OMNI posts do count.

I see nothing wrong with another debate on that issue as it'll be much narrower. Plus then I'd like to hear from the gamers in OMNI why THEY think their posts add value to FT and should count. None have spoken up, AFAIK, in this thread.

As I've said elsewhere, I really don't passionately care one way or the other about posts counting or not in OMNI. I'm voting for them to count in OMNI and OMNI/PR but will wait to see the debate over them counting in a Games subforum should one be created.
The issue, as Jenbel and Kipper have alluded to, is that some game players do think their game adds value to the community while believing that others do not.

That being the case, you will end up with 'winners' whose games stay in counting OMNI and 'losers' whose games end up in a non-counting OMNI-GAMES.

My personal solution to this is to make OMNI-GAMES count, so that everyone 'wins'.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:55 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
.That being the case, you will end up with 'winners' whose games stay in counting OMNI and 'losers' whose games end up in a non-counting OMNI-GAMES.

My personal solution to this is to make OMNI-GAMES count, so that everyone 'wins'.
While I tend to agree with the logic, if people are truly playing those games without concern for whether they are incrementing their post count or not, then I don't think the games players are really "losing" much.

And unfortunately, it seems there are some who feel they will be "losing" a lot if those games do count. So as I mentioned, sometimes it might be better to look at which decision will cause more "emotional" hurt rather than taking the "its more logical" approach.

And don't forget the wise saying "Pick your battles". If, and to those outside of the TB, its still an 'if', the battle has been won for counting OMNI and other forums, maybe its better to give a little. And if, again its still and if, there becomes a Games forum, maybe its better to not fight the "should posts count" there battle. Maybe this is the middle ground that will help the community come together.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:55 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
The people who don't win here, IMO, are the overwhelming majority I've heard from that don't think counting "12345" as a helpful post should count.

As other have said, we've only heard from a small subset of FT members in this thread but I give their opinion a lot of credibility as they are perhaps more passionate than other FT'ers about how FT should operate.

Since there is a difference of opinion even among TB members as to whether Games posts should count I think that's a good reason to have two votes on this issue.

1. Should a Games Sub-Forum be created?

2. Should posts count in the Games Sub-Forum.

Obviously if #1 doesn't pass, #2 is a moot point.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
The people who don't win here, IMO, are the overwhelming majority I've heard from that don't think counting "12345" as a helpful post should count.

As other have said, we've only heard from a small subset of FT members in this thread but I give their opinion a lot of credibility as they are perhaps more passionate than other FT'ers about how FT should operate.

Since there is a difference of opinion even among TB members as to whether Games posts should count I think that's a good reason to have two votes on this issue.

1. Should a Games Sub-Forum be created?

2. Should posts count in the Games Sub-Forum.

Obviously if #1 doesn't pass, #2 is a moot point.
I would hope that consistency would be implemented throughout FT and not immediately tossed out the window again.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
But you ignored the overwhelming majority when deciding to support the counting of OMNI posts.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
But you ignored the overwhelming majority when deciding to support the counting of OMNI posts.
You're referring to this specific thread?

Speaking for myself I considered the input in this thread, but I also considered the input in the previous thread about the topic when it was discussed last summer, as well as the 2 polls that were run in the Omnis last summer, as well as the discussion threads re: the topics in the summer, as well as the discussions in the Omnis back then & recently. And all of those were not 'overwhemlingly against/majority'.

Cheers.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:41 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Please note that there are now 2 separate votes going re: this topic: one to create a games forum in Omni & one to make that forum a non-counting forum. I would suggest that people post in those threads.

Create Games Forum Under Omni Category

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-category.html

Make Games Forum a Non-Counting Posts Forum

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...mes-forum.html

Cheers.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You're referring to this specific thread?

Speaking for myself I considered the input in this thread, but I also considered the input in the previous thread about the topic when it was discussed last summer, as well as the 2 polls that were run in the Omnis last summer, as well as the discussion threads re: the topics in the summer, as well as the discussions in the Omnis back then & recently. And all of those were not 'overwhemlingly against/majority'.

Cheers.
I was referring specifically to Cholula
Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Nothing I would waste any time on-- even this message !

Bob H
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
I'm really on the fence about segregating out games until a 'problem' can be established if/when OMNI posts count.
<general member hat> Concur. In this or any other case I see wisdom in TB formulating a solid contingency proposal but staying the motion until its necessity becomes clear.
</gen mem hat>

I do think that a lot of what goes in a games forum will come down to mod judgement. 'Anyone fancy a game of Mornington Crescent?' is clearly a game...it says so in the title! @:-)

'Best. Juxtaposed. Thread titles. Ever.' Is more of a judgement call, imho.
<mod hat>Threads evolve, parallel discussions arise and thread titles usually reflect only the original poster's intent.

With respect to judgment calls, isn't that always the case in a forum with two or more participants?

</gen mem hat>

Last edited by essxjay; Jan 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by kipper
Will this OMNI-Games forum require 180 days/180 posts for access?

Again, why the push to add back the inconsistency in not counting certain posts, when there is a motion currently being voted on that does away with the inconsistency?
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Is anyone else incredulous that TB, in the midst of voting for a measure that would make all posts count, is considering bringing forward a measure that would again create a subset of posts that would not count?
I've been offline for the past ten or so days buried under an intense project at work, so I haven't had the chance until now to respond, but I did want to quickly point out that the proposal we voted on and passed to allow all posts to count was worded that way primarily because it was the simplest way to get the job done. I don't recall any discussion (private or public) that the motion was worded that way out of some idealistic stance, so the arguments posed by the two posters quoted above really aren't germane to this particular motion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.