Search

Air Berlin forum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Air Berlin forum

Hereby suggesting a forum for Air Berlin.

2nd biggest airline in Europes biggest market. 6th biggest in Europe.

About to join Oneworld. Interest will skyrocket, and I suggest FT stay ahead of development.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: BAEC, MM, HH, MB
Good Idea!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Monty_GER
Good Idea!
Agreed -- I was actually looking for an Airberlin forum earlier this week to see if there was any news about when AB would join Oneworld... I'm just waiting for that to happen before I purchase a few tickets with them.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
What's the demand on FT like? Are there dozens of threads on European Airlines forum realting to Air Berlin to warrant the creation of a dedicated forum? If the answer is yes then I'd say it was time. If not, maybe the time hasn't come yet.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 8:06 pm

Can somebody explain to me why opening a form for a large airline is a "federal case"?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by tcook052
What's the demand on FT like? Are there dozens of threads on European Airlines forum realting to Air Berlin to warrant the creation of a dedicated forum? If the answer is yes then I'd say it was time. If not, maybe the time hasn't come yet.
Originally Posted by travelkid
About to join Oneworld. Interest will skyrocket, and I suggest FT stay ahead of development.
The key is bolded.

Current discussion does not warrant its own forum. Not strange as its a LCC, contrary to other airlines suggested for own forum- who regularly have FFPs and even are members of alliances.

But the proposal, suggests than FT for once tries to stay ahead of the development- as full OW membership for this quite huge airline is immediate. FTers can better position awards, strategies, status etc. This will guranteed be the second biggest OW forum in Europe after BA.

Except for the argument of current low FT traffic, I cant see any predictions why Air Berlin forum wont quite soon be in high demand.

Being a board is about planning ahead, not only fixing problems. Especially when not only seeing them come, but also due warned
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
AirBerlin forum is certainly something to consider. And as noted by the recent approval of Aegean, FT has stayed ahead of the development.

But also as noted in the Aegean forum, the OP of that one did a bit of homework to get the ball rolling, along the lines of forum creation criteria. You could potentially do the same, as it helps TB to evaluate/determine forum creation.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
AirBerlin forum is certainly something to consider. And as noted by the recent approval of Aegean, FT has stayed ahead of the development.

But also as noted in the Aegean forum, the OP of that one did a bit of homework to get the ball rolling, along the lines of forum creation criteria. You could potentially do the same, as it helps TB to evaluate/determine forum creation.

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.

7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Cheers.
Sharon, perhaps you personally encourage posters to address those criteria, but I don't. So you're only speaking for part of the TB.

I think that's our job to answer those questions if we want to. Quite frankly, I'm inclined to vote for any serious proposal for a new forum. Seattle? Why not -- I lived there and there are a high percentage of FTers who live there who want the forum. This one seems like a great idea, too.

So I'll formally make the proposals (if nobody else does) at the appropriate time.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:39 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just as a point of reference: AB tobonus has its own section in VFT.de since nearly three years and so far only got 143 Threads compared to 2200+ for M&M:

http://www.vielfliegertreff.de/topbonus/

And this is in the captive market / native language forum. If you start splitting off AB topbonus from the OEFFP forum, a similar case could be made for TAP victoria and others... as it stands little A3 (87) and EY Guest (480+) are the smallest sections of FFPs in FT, the rest all have more than 1000 threads.

If everyone gets a forum you will end up with a ton of tumbleweed sections on FT...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Sharon, perhaps you personally encourage posters to address those criteria, but I don't. So you're only speaking for part of the TB.

I think that's our job to answer those questions if we want to. Quite frankly, I'm inclined to vote for any serious proposal for a new forum. Seattle? Why not -- I lived there and there are a high percentage of FTers who live there who want the forum. This one seems like a great idea, too.

So I'll formally make the proposals (if nobody else does) at the appropriat
time.
The forum creation criteria was created by TB for a reason.

It certainly helps TB members to evaluate whether it makes sense to create a forum, and isn't an undue hardship on a person proposing a forum to answer the questions. I'm perplexed why some would think it is, and more perplexed that someone who believes in a forum enough to want it created wouldn't do so.

That doesn't mean TB members won't do their own homework, btw, when it's in full discussion mode. Well I can't speak for other TB members, but I know I do & also know quite a few of the others do.

And as you know Rich, I already raised this for discussion in the private board.

However, that doesn't negate my feeling that folk who propose forums do a wee bit of homework themselves when putting forth such a suggestion.

FWIW - I think travelkid did some of it already, but it doesn't hurt to have it fully fleshed out - and it's not unique to travelkid/I'm not singling him/her out. I posted the forum creation criteria in the Seattle forum suggestion as well.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
as it stands little A3 (87) and EY Guest (480+) are the smallest sections of FFPs in FT, the rest all have more than 1000 threads.

If everyone gets a forum you will end up with a ton of tumbleweed sections on FT...
In fairness to A3 & EY, they were just created in the last 60 days so it's not fair to compare them threadwise with other forums that have been around much longer & have a larger base.

But your tumbleweed comment is potentially valid re: some forums, perhaps even the suggested AZ one. Sorry; couldn't resist

Chees.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The forum creation criteria was created by TB for a reason.
That's nice.

For those who have proposed forums, there will be votes on them reasonably soon. There's a required waiting period and, of course, someone else would have to second my proposals.

Personally, I don't want to waste the TB's time in debating new forums and would rather we spend our time doing something else, so I figure the best way is to get these to a vote as quickly as possible.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by RichMSN
That's nice.

For those who have proposed forums, there will be votes on them reasonably soon. There's a required waiting period and, of course, someone else would have to second my proposals.

Personally, I don't want to waste the TB's time in debating new forums and would rather we spend our time doing something else, so I figure the best way is to get these to a vote as quickly as possible.
What is the 'we spend our time doing something else' you wish us to work on? Some of us TB members are actually capable of multi-tasking.

I don't think we need to wait months on end, but I don't have a problem with forum creation threads in the public forum (and private) being allowed to be discussed for pros/cons by FTers (whose input pro/con we're supposed to consider) for a few days or a week or more before doing sudden rushes to motions.

Sometimes the support is there & it makes sense for one to get created & it doesn't take more than a week; sometimes the support isn't there even by FTers, in which case rushing to motion & then have something not pass just because someone wants to act quickly or give the illusion of acting quickly doesn't make sense.

Cheers.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is the 'we spend our time doing something else' you wish us to work on? Some of us TB members are actually capable of multi-tasking.

I don't think we need to wait months on end, but I don't have a problem with forum creation threads in the public forum (and private) being allowed to be discussed for pros/cons by FTers (whose input pro/con we're supposed to consider) for a few days or a week or more before doing sudden rushes to motions.

Sometimes the support is there & it makes sense for one to get created & it doesn't take more than a week; sometimes the support isn't there even by FTers, in which case rushing to motion & then have something not pass just because someone wants to act quickly or give the illusion of acting quickly doesn't make sense.

Cheers.
Sharon, why? There's a 2-week voting period. The motion itself is easy: "The Talkboard recommends creation of X forum."

We ask for public comments during the voting period. If the case isn't made in your mind in 2 weeks, vote it down. If it is, vote it up. But we don't need to wait a week and then have a two week voting period on top of that.

Just my opinion. If someone shares it (someone who will second the motions), the motions will be made quickly and the clock will tick.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
+1

I've also been of the opinion that 'more' is not always the best answer to forum creation and I don't think asking whether a suggested forum will actually get used is too high a bar to set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.