MEGAthreads - your thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MEGAthreads - your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Markie
A couple of questions:
  • Will this be in the form of a motion to prevent thread merging and establishing Wiki's?
  • Who is responsible for the accuracy of the Wiki information?

Thanks
I'm the one working on the thread wiki proposal. I'll air it here when I get a chance to take a break from Real Life™ and write it.

As I plan it, the thread wiki motion is mostly a resolution encouraging IB to find the most expedient way possible to add this functionality. We don't have the technological tools to call for it to be implemented instantly (i.e. Carol can't just turn it on), but the purpose of this motion will be to a) study the issue and see if it will be of benefit to FlyerTalkers and b) if that's the case, light a little fire under IB and/or the vBulletin development team to bring the functionality into the vBulletin codebase (or find a functional plug-in that accomplishes the task).

Therefore, it will (at this time) be standalone from any motion on any other subject, including that of thread merging.

As for who's responsible: You! As a wiki, I guess I just assumed it would be policed by the community. That's how wikis work, both major wikis as well as similar in-thread wikis on other forums. Seems to work pretty well that way.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 1:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Most importantly the wikis should be embedded in a thread that has the option to discuss the topic, not a standalone wiki out somewhere (the current flyerguide solution we use in FT) that doesn't appear in any searches, not even on google
Old Jan 10, 2012, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Most importantly the wikis should be embedded in a thread that has the option to discuss the topic, not a standalone wiki out somewhere (the current flyerguide solution we use in FT) that doesn't appear in any searches, not even on google
That's exactly the idea.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 9:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I would draw your attention to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt...ads-hyatt.html

which is the response of the Hyatt Mods to the complaints about Megathreads. Of course, TB can generate a motion on this requiring other methods of handling them, but as nothing seems to be in the offing, it is hoped this will be a suitable interim solution.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 2:13 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

which is the response of the Hyatt Mods to the complaints about Megathreads. Of course, TB can generate a motion on this requiring other methods of handling them, but as nothing seems to be in the offing, it is hoped this will be a suitable interim solution.
No reactions to this at all?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 3:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by peteropny
There has been some in the linked thread.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

My guess is a lot of folk are traveling due to the long holiday weekend in the US, and some big FT Dos the same weekend so might not be checking the thread/forums until early next week.

I'm on the road myself & had internet problems, so just now checking. I actually like the approach taken that is mentioned by Markie. It provides information, but people aren't having to read through info from sev years back that probably isn't current/relevant.

I also noticed in the UA forum they're doing similar things.

Cheers.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
I fully support the Hyatt mods on this^
Old Jan 15, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
My guess is a lot of folk are traveling due to the long holiday weekend in the US, and some big FT Dos the same weekend so might not be checking the thread/forums until early next week.

I'm on the road myself & had internet problems, so just now checking. I actually like the approach taken that is mentioned by Markie. It provides information, but people aren't having to read through info from sev years back that probably isn't current/relevant.

I also noticed in the UA forum they're doing similar things.

Cheers.
I didn't know my daughter's 7th birthday was a national holiday, but I just saw that there's no mail delivery tomorrow and some other people have the day off work. I'll be sure to tell her that it's all about her. She'll get a kick out of that.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 10:01 pm

The response in the thread, from the Hyatt users who post, seems to be against the change so far. We're continuing to read and reply to the posts there, and there has been a suggestion of a poll to test the views of those members who might feel inhibited in posting.

Peter and I are meeting up in person next week, and we'll look at options to move the debate and/or the change forward.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:32 pm

The response in the thread, from the Hyatt users who post, seems to be against the change so far. We're continuing to read and reply to the posts there, and there has been a suggestion of a poll to test the views of those members who might feel inhibited in posting.

Peter and I are meeting up in person next week, and we'll look at options to move the debate and/or the change forward.
There has been a poll created in Hyatt - for those with views either way please go and express your views on the 4 proposals made.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:25 pm

There has been a poll created in Hyatt - for those with views either way please go and express your views on the 4 proposals made.
And the poll seems to indicate that the members like the merged REVIEW MASTER THREADS as is (even though some are really lengthy). So we may decide to leave them alone - don't accuse us of not "listening" to our members!!!!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:26 am

And the poll seems to indicate that the members like the merged REVIEW MASTER THREADS as is (even though some are really lengthy). So we may decide to leave them alone - don't accuse us of not "listening" to our members!!!!
Well the poll closed with the majority (well over 50% of those who "voted") saying that they have no problem with the "old" structure and it should be left alone. So we, Markie & I, decided on a compromise, just split those properties with really huge review threads (over 1,000 posts - of which there are only 3) into a "historical" and "current" review threads and see how it goes, if people really prefer them in one thread we can re-merge them easily or if they like the "new" way, we can do the same to more properties (obviously not all - there is no sense in breaking up a thread with 20 posts for example). So, don't accuse us of not "listening" to our members
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well the poll closed with the majority (well over 50% of those who "voted") saying that they have no problem with the "old" structure and it should be left alone. So we, Markie & I, decided on a compromise, just split those properties with really huge review threads (over 1,000 posts - of which there are only 3) into a "historical" and "current" review threads and see how it goes, if people really prefer them in one thread we can re-merge them easily or if they like the "new" way, we can do the same to more properties (obviously not all - there is no sense in breaking up a thread with 20 posts for example). So, don't accuse us of not "listening" to our members
Well done you (both of you).

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
The standard with “mega-threads” should be the following. The thread being merged must be sufficiently germane to the mega-thread that a reasonable person would look for the information requested in the merged thread in the mega-thread.

I.E. if the mega-thread is titled “will my upgrade clear?” you have to ask yourself would a thread asking about the purchase price of said upgrade belong in that thread.

More concerning is the trend where merged threads go like this.
Post 1: OP Q’s
Post 2: Reply, “search is your friend” and a link or two if any.
Post 3: Mod either locking the thread or merging it.

At least to me, the “search is your friend” posts come off as unfriendly and unwelcoming. Next the instant lock or merge by the moderation is a) also unfriendly and b) sometimes not warranted. It seems that the proposal to let threads develop more before merger or lock would let the information flow before the necessary clean up action takes place.

I am sure most of us can agree that the search function on FT is only marginally functional. Demanding that people use it only to find mega-threads that may only be tangentially related to the OP's original topic is a touch hostile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.