Search

Discussion: Technical corrections to TalkBoard Guidelines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 3:54 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Discussion: Technical corrections to TalkBoard Guidelines

I'd like to discuss any non-controversial clarifications to the TalkBoard Guidelines in this thread.

The first issue is selection of TalkBoard officers. The current guideline paragraph is:

3.B.ii.c
c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering 2/3rd of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than 2 candidates in the primary vote and none receive 2/3rds of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect.
This paragraph calls for a nugatory runoff after a 5-4-0 (or even 5-4-0-0) vote for TalkBoard officer positions. There is no method specified to break ties for second place or to deal with a 3-3-3 vote. I propose a simple "kick it to the Community Director" provision for these difficult cases.

c. The presidential elections shall be conducted as follows: Any candidate garnering 2/3rd of the total TalkBoard vote in the primary presidential vote shall be immediately declared the winner. If there are more than 2 candidates in the primary vote and receive votes but none receives 2/3 of the total vote then a final vote shall be held between the top two vote-getters. In the final vote, the President shall be decided by a simple majority vote. If there are no more than two candidates for President, then there will be no primary election before the final vote and a simple majority will elect. Ties or other ambiguities anywhere in this process will be resolved by the members involved or by the Community Director.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 6:01 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
With all the black helicopters that seem to be around anything done here, I would not want the CD put in the position of deciding these issues... heaven forbid, she should decide for a moderator vs non-moderator.

As I said in the other thread, I would recommend the following:

If any ties have to be broken, the "winner" will be decided by who receives the highest percentage votes of the membership in their previous election (votes received/votes cast).
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:02 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by wharvey
With all the black helicopters that seem to be around anything done here, I would not want the CD put in the position of deciding these issues... heaven forbid, she should decide for a moderator vs non-moderator.

As I said in the other thread, I would recommend the following:

If any ties have to be broken, the "winner" will be decided by who receives the highest percentage votes of the membership in their previous election (votes received/votes cast).
While I completely agree with you on not having the CD decide the outcome (as if that be the case, we could just have the CD choose based on a list of candidates and be done with the elections all together <ducking>) but as to determining the winner based on prior vote percentage from previous elections, I have an issue with that.

Let's say for sake of argument, Candidate 1 is "in the lead" over Candidate 2 for TB President but does not have enough to win (i.e. a 5-4 vote) and again for sake of argument, Candidate 1 is the better choice but Candidate 1 "squeaked in" to TB as the 5th of the 5 winners (in the case of this year's elections") with a minimal amount of votes and Candidate 2 came in first in their election a year ago with 65% of the votes. Using your example, Candidate 2 would be declared the winner but I see that as apples and oranges as you have the variable of who was in the election field from this year's elections and last year's elections. I don't know if I'm making any sense or not but I think it should still be decided by TB members in an election on a first ballot, second ballot and so on. Yes, there are only 9 voters on TB and that could lead to a lot of 5-4 results on a first ballot (or, second or third and etc) but folks need to step up and eventually do what's right for FT and put internal friendships and politics aside. Call me Pollyanna <pause> but that's my two hockey pucks.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
I could throw out two other possibilities for tie breaking: 1) The TB member that has the earliest "Join Date" on FT. 2) The TB member with the longer (longest) service time on TB.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 10:45 am

I totally agree that Talkboard should determine their leadership; but if they cannot, I guess (based on past complaints and conspiracy theories) I would prefer the broader membership to have some say.

I believe my suggestion would still give it to Candidate #1, not sure how you see it differently. Unless Candidate #2 received more than 65% of the vote in their last election, they would lose out to Candidate #1.

Originally Posted by goalie
While I completely agree with you on not having the CD decide the outcome (as if that be the case, we could just have the CD choose based on a list of candidates and be done with the elections all together <ducking>) but as to determining the winner based on prior vote percentage from previous elections, I have an issue with that.

Let's say for sake of argument, Candidate 1 is "in the lead" over Candidate 2 for TB President but does not have enough to win (i.e. a 5-4 vote) and again for sake of argument, Candidate 1 is the better choice but Candidate 1 "squeaked in" to TB as the 5th of the 5 winners (in the case of this year's elections") with a minimal amount of votes and Candidate 2 came in first in their election a year ago with 65% of the votes. Using your example, Candidate 2 would be declared the winner but I see that as apples and oranges as you have the variable of who was in the election field from this year's elections and last year's elections. I don't know if I'm making any sense or not but I think it should still be decided by TB members in an election on a first ballot, second ballot and so on. Yes, there are only 9 voters on TB and that could lead to a lot of 5-4 results on a first ballot (or, second or third and etc) but folks need to step up and eventually do what's right for FT and put internal friendships and politics aside. Call me Pollyanna <pause> but that's my two hockey pucks.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:11 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by wharvey
I totally agree that Talkboard should determine their leadership; but if they cannot, I guess (based on past complaints and conspiracy theories) I would prefer the broader membership to have some say.

I believe my suggestion would still give it to Candidate #1, not sure how you see it differently. Unless Candidate #2 received more than 65% of the vote in their last election, they would lose out to Candidate #1.
Must be that I'm still not properly caffeinated

Example:

This year's election: 5 candidates win with "winner number 5" (Candidate 1) receiving 22% of the vote.

Last year's election: 4 candidates win with "winner number 1" (Candidate 2) receiving 65% of the vote

Candidate 1 and candidate 2 run for TB President. No winner as it's a 5-4 vote. Candidate 1 is the better choice than Candidate 2 but Candidate 2 wins because they had a higher vote percentage in their election that that of Candidate 1 in their election.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:43 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I just posted this in the private TB forum:

Originally Posted by kokonutz
FWIW, I disagree on this notion. I see no reason to keep issues being discussed here 'private' or 'secret.'

I won't break the rules by posting what others post here, but generally speaking (and my record bears this out) I will be posting on the public forum the same things that I post here in the same time frame if not simultaneously.

It's not giving the posters read-only access to this forum (which I think they deserve), but it's as close as I can give them to that.

Back on topic:

As for ties, I don't like leaving that to the CD either. I think a game of chance...or maybe a drinking contest...makes more sense.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since mine was the notion that koko was disagreeing with when he quoted his quote, I thought I should post to clarify. I am not advocating private or secrets, so let's get that out of the way.

I asked nsx in the private TB forum why he had posted in the public TB forum before giving TB members a chance to review what he was proposing and get their input on the matter.

I have no problem with FTers posting their thoughts on anything we discuss, but usually in the private TB forum we discuss (and argue), flesh out ideas, point out loopholes, come up with work-arounds &/or corrections, before we submit a topic or motion for consideration by FTers & asking for their input pro/con and finding any problems or loopholes we might have missed.

I wasn't asking for days & months of discussion in the private TB forum before asking for FTers input, but more than a few minutes .

Cheers.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:27 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Sometimes on Survivor when there is a tie it comes down to who can build a fire the fastest. @:-)

Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:28 pm

I was only talking about situations where there is a TIE.... which is what I thought was being proposed when candidates got the same number of votes.

5-4 vote is an obvious winner with two candidates... if three candidates, then the one with no votes is out and then you vote just for the final two... and majority wins.

Originally Posted by goalie
Must be that I'm still not properly caffeinated

Example:

This year's election: 5 candidates win with "winner number 5" (Candidate 1) receiving 22% of the vote.

Last year's election: 4 candidates win with "winner number 1" (Candidate 2) receiving 65% of the vote

Candidate 1 and candidate 2 run for TB President. No winner as it's a 5-4 vote. Candidate 1 is the better choice than Candidate 2 but Candidate 2 wins because they had a higher vote percentage in their election that that of Candidate 1 in their election.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Smaug
I could throw out two other possibilities for tie breaking: 1) The TB member that has the earliest "Join Date" on FT. 2) The TB member with the longer (longest) service time on TB.
Or perhaps it should be post count. That'll have a lot of TB members supporting OMNI post counts now <ducking>.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:15 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Or perhaps it should be post count. That'll have a lot of TB members supporting OMNI post counts now <ducking>.
That pure evil genius!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since mine was the notion that koko was disagreeing with when he quoted his quote, I thought I should post to clarify. I am not advocating private or secrets, so let's get that out of the way.

I asked nsx in the private TB forum why he had posted in the public TB forum before giving TB members a chance to review what he was proposing and get their input on the matter.

I have no problem with FTers posting their thoughts on anything we discuss, but usually in the private TB forum we discuss (and argue), flesh out ideas, point out loopholes, come up with work-arounds &/or corrections, before we submit a topic or motion for consideration by FTers & asking for their input pro/con and finding any problems or loopholes we might have missed.

I wasn't asking for days & months of discussion in the private TB forum before asking for FTers input, but more than a few minutes .

Cheers.
Looks like the times are a-changin'.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DeaconFlyer
Looks like the times are a-changin'.
I've been one of the most active TB members in both the public & private TB forums, so nothing's changed there. @:-) Of course the 5-minute rule is probably a change

Cheers.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:01 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'd like to suggest the Guidelines replace "FlyerTalk Host" with "FlyerTalk Community Director" - seems that is the current term.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.