Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

I intend to run for President of the TalkBoard and I am going to tell you why.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I intend to run for President of the TalkBoard and I am going to tell you why.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
It is rather ridiculous when you realize that someone who has 3 TOS violations in the 10 posts he made faces the same lifetime ban for his next one as someone else who made 3 violations in 40,000 posts.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
That's a false perception. Senior moderators attend to issues in forums without permanent moderators. They have no management authority over normal moderators.
Originally Posted by Dovster
It is rather ridiculous when you realize that someone who has 3 TOS violations in the 10 posts he made faces the same lifetime ban for his next one as someone else who made 3 violations in 40,000 posts.
Is that the rule? I thought consideration was given over the time in between violations given.. say a week as opposed to a year.. I guess what you say makes sense..
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:23 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kipper
How many members who frequented TS/S before the split disengaged from at least that forum after the manner in which the split was handled?
I hope you're not under the impression that there is some ideal forum structure and policy that can attract and retain every potential poster. The fundamental problem is that some posting styles do not mix. Some people prefer to read calm posts; others prefer to read heated posts. People generally post in the style they prefer to read.

Given this reality, FT needed to choose which style to cater to for TS&S discussion. Since the rest of FT encourages calm posts, the decision was obvious. That decision was and is right for FT. It's not right for members who prefer heated posts. Travelunderground caters to those members, and IMHO everybody is better off for the separation. It's win-win.

Could FT have created another TS&S forum for heated discussions? I threw the wild idea of an "anything goes" forum into the mix in the committee. However having "hot" and "cold" forums on the same subject on FT would be a problem. Heated posts would be made continually in the "cold" forum, creating endless work for moderators. This deficiency is present, but to a lesser degree, under the current structure. Having the "anything goes" posts on a different website is an improvement. One size will never fit all.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
I have long wanted to do this, but the more I've looked at it, the harder the task appeared. You and I together might be able to come up with something.
You're on! I have many ideas for recommendations the TB could consider generated from this thread alone. I'm sure many other posters have ideas, too.

I am trying to decide if I should break them all out into separate discussion threads like I did with the 'Should there be a forum or threads or <insert your idea> for moderation feedback?' thread or just do a single 'TOS review' thread to start.

Of course, I could just do a redline edit of the TOS to the form and policies *I* think make sense as a start, but that would not be very collaborative, starting from a baseline of koko-world...

Thoughts?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 11:56 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
TOS violations may go unpunished. Reported TOS violations may go without response. Suspensions may occur without TOS actually being violated in a given post.

It's sometimes the case that:

3 TOS violations ≠ 3 reported TOS violations ≠ 3 suspensions ≠ lifetime ban

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Is that the rule? I thought consideration was given over the time in between violations given.. say a week as opposed to a year.. I guess what you say makes sense..
Unless I'm mistaken, the current FT Community Director, much like the predecessor in much the same role, has said that time in between violations is up for consideration. [Considered how, well, I'm not going to get into that.] There may have been some shift from lifetime bans toward applying forum masks to prevent restricted FTers from viewing/posting in some part(s) of FT but not restricted from viewing/posting in other parts of FT.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:03 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
The TOS could add a recommendation that users drawing a second suspension in the same forum should consider making a request to be masked from that forum to prevent further trouble.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
The TOS could add a recommendation that users drawing a second suspension in the same forum should consider making a request to be masked from that forum to prevent further trouble.
If somebody with 40,000 posts in various forums throughout FT manages to get both of his suspensions in the same forum, I would wonder more about the mods of that forum than the poster.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:12 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is way off topic, Dov, but in my experience an ultra-high post count often signals poor quality of post content.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Dave, it may be true that you were not notified as a TS&S moderator about the change but it is impossible that you were unaware of it.

Oh I was well aware of it after the fact because, as you correctly state, you and several others pointed it out in posts, PM's and RBP's.

But I wasn't personally involved in adding the words TSA to the TOS and have no idea how, why or who added them. If it happened on the committee I served on then either I missed it or it didn't register with me at the time. As I mentioned earlier I played a very small role in the re-write. Others did the heavy lifting.

But, regardless, I'm in favor of the wording and striking blanket or sweeping negative statements against the TSA and enforced such when and if I noticed them or they were called to our attention.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
This topic has been most informative. I have learned that essxjay is female and Markie is male. I always assumed the opposite was true. I don't know why.
And you probably thought Dovster was a male too. Some things are not always what they seem.

Last edited by Cholula; Dec 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula

And you probably thought Dovster was a male too. Some things are not always what they seem.
Please remove your post before my UIG (Used Italian Girlfriend) reads it and decides I must be a lesbian. That will definitely put a crimp in our relationship.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by kipper
There was a "FlyerTalk Scoops the World" thread?
Dov narrated the start of some "action" near the Israeli border as the artillery shells & rockets were headed his way.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nsx
This is way off topic, Dov, but in my experience an ultra-high post count often signals poor quality of post content.
From my perspective, the posts I encounter that are put up by ultra-high post count FTers seem to more often tend toward being higher quality post content than the average FT post. That said, not everyone's idea of non-"poor quality" is going to be the same.

Will TB be coming up with a non-"poor quality" ranking system for posts too?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Well, you couldn't really agree with the proposition, could you?
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:10 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
From my perspective, the posts I encounter that are put up by ultra-high post count FTers seem to more often tend toward being higher quality post content than the average FT post. That said, not everyone's idea of non-"poor quality" is going to be the same.
+1

This TB, it seems, has enough macro subjects to debate without one more.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 2:26 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GUWonder
I would love to find a way in which users could rate content so that the higher quality content could be displayed preferentially. However any system I've seen can be abused, and we all know that FTers are experts at gaming point systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.