Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

I intend to run for President of the TalkBoard and I am going to tell you why.

I intend to run for President of the TalkBoard and I am going to tell you why.

Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
When people post things on IBBs, they MEAN for other people to see them, good, bad or indifferent. So I think these 'privacy concerns' are rubbish.
doesnt address "reports" sent to mods by members
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:12 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

So....let's legitimize and formalize open 'moderation forums.'! ^
Hold on there one second...

...I have learned as a moderator that there is no “one solution fits all” approach that would work in all FlyerTalk forums.

As moderator of the Hilton HHonors forum — which has a completely different community approach than the Delta SkyMiles forum — we tend to approach openness a little differently.

Let me provide you with an example on a topic which you yourself have brought up earlier in this thread:
If the TB were empowered to create a forum like that here, I would make the motion today. And if it were approved my very first thread would be: 'What can be done about mega-threading?' ^
The Merged Merged Threads Thread

That is only one of a number of threads in the Hilton HHonors forum where the opinions of FlyerTalk members is solicited towards the improvement of the forum itself.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
wow. so forum TOS can be different from FT TOS?
In practice (read: in terms of application), they are indeed different. Proceed to selection of debate vs. discuss and/or of selection of discussion participants.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
So....let's legitimize and formalize open 'moderation forums.'! ^
Feel free to start a new thread for your proposal.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:21 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Hold on there one second...

...I have learned as a moderator that there is no “one solution fits all” approach that would work in all FlyerTalk forums.

As moderator of the Hilton HHonors forum — which has a completely different community approach than the Delta SkyMiles forum — we tend to approach openness a little differently.

Let me provide you with an example on a topic which you yourself have brought up earlier in this thread:

The Merged Merged Threads Thread

That is only one of a number of threads in the Hilton HHonors forum where the opinions of FlyerTalk members is solicited towards the improvement of the forum itself.
So you are saying that rather than a forum of threads about moderation policies, there should be a single/multiple thread(s) about moderation in each forum?

How about a subforum of each forum to talk about the moderation of that forum, so that such threads are easily found!?

Further, in terms of standardization, I am sure there are many FTers who do not know such threads/forums exist. They have odd names and tend to get buried.

Finally, what if the mods of the forums I frequent most are not as open to poster input as you and Jenbel are? Why should I be subject to the whims of the non-elected moderator who happens to be assigned to 'my' forums while other posters get to have input because their mods are more open to poster input?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by essxjay
Feel free to start a new thread for your proposal.
That's a really good idea. The title of this thread sucks.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:29 pm

So you are saying that rather than a forum of threads about moderation policies, there should be a single/multiple thread(s) about moderation in each forum?

How about a subforum of each forum to talk about the moderation of that forum, so that such threads are easily found!?

Further, in terms of standardization, I am sure there are many FTers who do not know such threads/forums exist. They have odd names and tend to get buried.

Finally, what if the mods of the forums I frequent most are not as open to poster input as you and Jenbel are? Why should I be subject to the whims of the non-elected moderator who happens to be assigned to 'my' forums while other posters get to have input because their mods are more open to poster input?
That is the purpose that master threads — such as the one in the Hilton HHonors forum — serve: to find those threads that might otherwise be difficult to find.

As you can see, there is a lot more to being a moderator than exacting discipline, which is maybe 10 percent of my volunteer job, if that — and that includes deleting “spam” before you or anyone else ever sees it.

Hopefully, you can also see that a number of the ideas you are espousing have already been in use for years — without any entity directing me or other FlyerTalk moderators to do so, other than the input of fellow FlyerTalk members.

I believe that ideas — such as the Lounge thread concept, for example — should be considered on a forum-by-forum basis. The reason is not because of the whim of the moderators of that forum, but rather due to what members of the community in each forum want, and a degree of anticipation of the outcome of implementing such solutions.

To me, it is a simple concept, really: give the community of each forum what it wants — within reason, of course.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

No it doesn't, but "anonymous" reports to law enforcement and -- perhaps worse yet -- intelligence services seem to encourage unaccountable reporting of "suspicion" and of fictional "wrongdoing" which do anything but depress workload.

A public affiliation for reporting "suspicious" and/or "wrongful" activity may not be such a bad thing, but that's because I'm a believer in more transparency rather than less when it comes to those in administrative roles or those enabling administration over public material. But let's see if even TB can walk that walk first -- but I'm of the opinion that TB will remain crippled as is even if it does.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:38 pm

I missed answering this one...

...what I am saying is that — based on the communications I personally receive both publicly and privately — despite the Delta SkyMiles forum having an open policy pertaining to the discussion of moderation, one thread is enough. Sometimes that public thread remains dormant for months before someone posts to it again.

An entire sub-forum is not necessary, in my opinion — despite the Delta SkyMiles forum being one of the busier forums on FlyerTalk in terms of both traffic and the posting of content.

Some forums — such as the Antarctica forum, as an obvious example — probably do not even have a need for the discussion of moderation.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I missed answering this one...

...what I am saying is that — based on the communications I personally receive both publicly and privately — despite the Delta SkyMiles forum having an open policy pertaining to the discussion of moderation, one thread is enough. Sometimes that public thread remains dormant for months before someone posts to it again.

An entire sub-forum is not necessary, in my opinion — despite the Delta SkyMiles forum being one of the busier forums on FlyerTalk in terms of both traffic and the posting of content.

Some forums — such as the Antarctica forum, as an obvious example — probably do not even have a need for the discussion of moderation.
I suggest we continue this discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...l#post17577940

Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder
No it doesn't, but "anonymous" reports to law enforcement and -- perhaps worse yet -- intelligence services seem to encourage unaccountable reporting of "suspicion" and of fictional "wrongdoing" which do anything but depress workload.

A public affiliation for reporting "suspicious" and/or "wrongful" activity may not be such a bad thing, but that's because I'm a believer in more transparency rather than less when it comes to those in administrative roles or those enabling administration over public material. But let's see if even TB can walk that walk first -- but I'm of the opinion that TB will remain crippled as is even if it does.
IIRC RPB sends username along with email address.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:55 pm
Original Member

Bingo. Certain types of comments are not allowed on Flyertalk. Profanity, for example. Whether a poster considers their use of profanity good, bad or indifferent is largely immaterial to fact that the community guidelines prohibit such speech.

I wonder if some forget that mods are tasked with enforcing the TOS in toto. Enforcement entails reading each and every reported post and sometimes applying disciplinary procedures described in the TOS. If anyone believes the TOS overstates mod duty with respect to how reported posts should be handled then let's please get down to specifics. Repeating assertions of mod accountability or non-accountability are vague and not very illuminating.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so far there has only been one proposal re accountability.

discussion of TOS is not prohibited, so not sure why its not being discussed.

Originally Posted by Brian
While the TOS is public, how it is applied is not.
example >
TOS says "x is prohibited"
strike "x is prohibited"
now x is no longer prohibited

it is my understanding that TB can recommend (after vote?) changes to SanDiego1K
- have there been public discussions of TOS changes?
- have there been public discussions of TOS?

Originally Posted by essxjay
mods are tasked with enforcing the TOS in toto
thats what i had been thinking, but the linked threads discussing moderation prove otherwise..

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 6, 2011 at 2:08 pm
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by kipper
... but that's shrouded in darkness and mystery..."
I doubt Carol's fleet of black helicopters consists of more than 1, and at that, it is probably a rental a la NetJets.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:17 pm
Original Member

IIRC RPB sends username along with email address.
That's exactly right. Furthermore, the privacy implications of sharing disciplinary records with members other than admins or fellow mods is my primary concern. There is no way for TB to audit suspensions without reading the entire record of a particular suspension. Exposing the wrongdoing of moderators necessarily entails revealing the wrongdoing of members, which I believe is a fundamentally unfair move at this point.

Last edited by essxjay; Dec 6, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.