Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should login be required for access to Mistake Fares?

Should login be required for access to Mistake Fares?

Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:59 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
This kind of nitpicky micromanaging is not helpful for Flyertalk.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The same could be said of your post. You don't have to agree but please don't invalidate others opinions when they don't match your own as that's not helpful either.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:19 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Can we please stay on topic?

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Originally Posted by yuel
Why is the Omni restrictive?
Because it is off-topic to the core purpose of FT. It is considered a privilege that is earned.
Other than what Mary2e said, you may want to (re)visit the other master thread that debated your question with a passed motion 5 full years ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...i-omni-pr.html

FWIW, this thread is about Mistake Fares, not CC nor OMNI. Each TB Topics thread has its own main topic/mission, if I understand FT correctly. When every participant stays on topic and chooses the proper TB thread to bring up their issues, it surely will make discussion focused and TBers' job easier. YMMV.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 6:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Unless it's daily reporting of what's been posted in Travel News of course.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
FWIW - and pardon the TSA comparison. But having a log-in requirement or 180/180 requirement to me is a bit of "security theater". Neither will prevent bloggers or company reps from accessing the forum because they're already enabled. Or, as CMK said, it's like "closing the barn door after the horse has already left."

While I was supportive of a log-in feature back in 2010 & even in 2012, I've changed my mind (and I was the deciding vote back in 2012 keeping it open to all/no log-in required when this went to a motion/vote the last time) & don't think it's in the best interests of FT.

FT is about sharing information freely, not trying to keep it only for a few. There's no 'stealing' a mistake fare. And it shouldn't be about well we want to get it for us/not share it w/ others.

Yes, mistake fares still occur but airlines have gotten much savvier about them/catching them w/ their own internal software &/or may not honor them. It comes down to you win some, you lose some! (you being generic you/FTers). As others have said & the mantra has always been for years. If you see a good deal, book it then as it might not last very long. That was true even pre-bloggers.

Also, FT is not the only source for mistake fares being posted (blogs, facebook posts, websites other than FT, heck, even news media, come to mind). It's the internet. There aren't any secrets anymore.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 9:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tcook052
The same could be said of your post. You don't have to agree but please don't invalidate others opinions when they don't match your own as that's not helpful either.
Why didn't you say that when someone who agrees with you with regard to a different topic used those same words :

Originally Posted by CMK10

Originally Posted by CMK10
Unless it's daily reporting of what's been posted in Travel News of course.
See, he gets it!!

SkiAdcock has this issue exactly right. Nitpciky security kabuki accomplishes nothing and is not helpful to FlyerTalk.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 10:29 pm

I have been reading some of the old threads/votes on this topic and it has an interesting history.
2008- failed.
2010- passed - to move topic forward(?).
2010- passed - to require membership/log-in.
2010- passed - rescinded log-in requirement due to vagueness/clarity.
2010- failed.
2012- failed.
I think that covers it. The 2012 discussion/proposal thread is the best one IMO after it was started by the mods of the MR forum. It is worth a read if you are interested in this topic. Most of the TB votes seemed to come down to a vote on the basic member log-in requirement. It has come really close to becoming a reality (with FT ownership approval obviously pending). This basic member log-in requirement is not really what has been proposed by yuel when this thread was bumped. Maybe it would be helpful to start a new thread (as requested in the Talkboard forum sticky) for this process?

I am willing to make a formal proposal (in the future) and will work on some new ideas/solutions.
Old Feb 25, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
(with FT ownership approval obviously pending).
Truthfully I don't see that happening. While IB is pretty much hands off wrt FT, MR does bring eyeballs/clicks/helps them w/ google/advertisers, etc, to FT so I don't see IB agreeing to restrict it. IB made their thoughts clear re: the topic in the private forum back in 2012 I.e. it ain't gonna happen. I'd be very surprised if their viewpoint has changed.

The other reality is that whether it's a log-in or a masking of the MR forum & sub-forums, it won't keep the bloggers or company reps out. Discount and mistake fares come and go. FTers will be able to take advantage of some & will miss others. It's been that way the entire 14 years I've been on FT.

Rather than worrying about trying to keep the mistakes "secret" (an oxymoron in today's internet environment), I would suggest to FTers that they put the MR Deals forum in "My Flyertalk", check it on a regular basis, etc.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Feb 25, 2016 at 4:39 pm
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
How about an automatic ban for each person who uses the word mistake or error in the MR Deals forum? That would be much more effective than hiding the forum. Those words do a lot more damage now. All it takes now is one person on FT to call something a mistake in their for the airline to be able to void every ones tickets.

As pointed out below, Most of those who you are trying to stop from having access would already qualify to have access.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:41 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by CDKing
How about an automatic ban for each person who uses the word mistake or error in the MR Deals forum? That would be much more effective than hiding the forum. Those words do a lot more damage now. All it takes now is one person on FT to call something a mistake in their for the airline to be able to void every ones tickets.

As pointed out below, Most of those who you are trying to stop from having access would already qualify to have access.
Consideration of that suggestion is beyond the purview of TalkBoard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.