Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal/suggestion/question/debate: Should Travel News be eliminated/refocused?

Proposal/suggestion/question/debate: Should Travel News be eliminated/refocused?

Old Sep 6, 13, 3:37 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
Which appropriate forum?
That's a moderator-type decision.
With all due respect, that's a cop-out in saying you want to change something because you don't like it but because you don't have the answer, you want someone else decide how to do it/do the work

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Reviews have taken place in the past. A few forums come up that could potentially be closed (and Travel News isn't on the list IIRC), but the consensus is usually eh, what harm does it do to keep them open. Which is why, out of all the forums, this particular one seems to bug koko enough that he's trying to close this one is perplexing to me. Given it's one of the most visited forums on FT, doesn't make sense to me. So if this goes to a vote I'd be a no on shutting it down.

BTW - because TB doesn't seem to close forums, it's one of the reasons I believe strong cases should be made when discussing the creation of new forums.

Cheers.
Bolding Mine: I'm as perplexed as you are

Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I thought we could start with the low-hanging fruit. I mean, here's an example of 2 forums, TravelBuzz! and Travel News, that serve the exact same purpose.
Actually they don't.

Cheers.
Agreed

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Just change the rules back to what they were before. I don't recall the Talk Board voting on the requirement that commentary is mandatory in order to post a news link and a few lines from an article. Take that off the table and it will be a vibrant forum again.
Imho, that might not be a bad idea
Old Sep 6, 13, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Easy solution: close down Travel News and reopen Newsstand with more liberal posting requirements not requiring commentary, just like it was for years before. Surely the Talk Board can still create and delete forums or has that been taken out of your purview, too?
+1 There are interesting things posted in Travel News. Where else am I going to read about Lion Air hitting a cw?! I'd never find such stories if there was not a 'news' forum on FlyerTalk that allowed such items. I believe I first found that one in Newsstand ... and that it was later moved.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Sep 6, 13 at 11:31 pm
Old Sep 6, 13, 11:54 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
It's still there

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-hits-cow.html
Old Sep 6, 13, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
So it is ... what can I say except that I like that frum?!
Old Sep 7, 13, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Given the relatively high proportion of threads in that forum that get shut down or moved, that part of FT has more or less lived out its life after some deliberate changes were made in policy/practice to that forum.

Whatever remains of Travel News could be moved to Travelbuzz and it would probably be more useful to me that way. That part of FT has become boring enough that I wouldn't miss seeing whatever went there become part of Travelbuzz.
Old Sep 7, 13, 10:46 am

Travel News is almost a daily stop off for me, as is Travel Buzz, and I would say they are two altogether unique areas with differing content.

The idea of closing one, and the reasoning behind it given here, makes no sense.
Old Sep 7, 13, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Given the relatively high proportion of threads in that forum that get shut down or moved, that part of FT has more or less lived out its life after some deliberate changes were made in policy/practice to that forum.

Whatever remains of Travel News could be moved to Travelbuzz and it would probably be more useful to me that way. That part of FT has become boring enough that I wouldn't miss seeing whatever went there become part of Travelbuzz.
And there you have it, succinctly!
Old Sep 7, 13, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by ft101 View Post

The idea of closing one, and the reasoning behind it given here, makes no sense.
With all due respect, I respectfully disagree completely.
Old Sep 8, 13, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
With all due respect, I respectfully disagree completely.
That would be obvious from your multiple posts on this thread. However, as a reader I think you're misguided.

You could put another slant on the figures from your opening post by saying 50% of posts have positively contributed to Flyertalk or roughly one per day. Sounds much more positive and likeable just by a change in words.

Sceptics or those with no interest can ignore it. The FT front page won't become any easier to navigate with one less entry. Removing it has no real benefit to the sceptics but has a real loss to the users/readers.

I expect, and get, a different type of topic on Travelbuzz. I expect News in the appropriate forum where it is just now.
Old Sep 14, 13, 4:45 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
I want Travel News to either be retained or Newsstand to be reinstated.
Old Sep 17, 13, 8:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just as a point of information, the recent vote of TalkBoard was essentially to retain Travel News, and some changes are discussed in the pertinent thread:

Voting Over, Motion Failed: Close the Travel News Forum

The relevant post is:

On September 16, 2013, Talkboard failed to pass 2-7:

“The TalkBoard recommends that the Travel News Forum be closed and that any current and relevant threads in that forum be moved to an appropriate other FT forum.”

Voting Yes: kokonutz, RichMSN
Voting No: cholula, goalie, HansGolden, jackal, MSPEconomist, nsx, SkiAdcock
(My bolding, for emphasis)

As well the membership participating, Community Director and Forum Moderator have agreed on some changes, delineated in that thread. I suspect discussion is best contained to that thread, given decisions have been made.

Thanks!

JDiver, Moderator