Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal/suggestion/question/debate: Should Travel News be eliminated/refocused?

Proposal/suggestion/question/debate: Should Travel News be eliminated/refocused?

 

Old Sep 5, 13, 8:39 pm
  #61  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 47,357
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Actually they don't.

Cheers.
Yes, they do.

The following are threads based on news articles:

The busiest airport. Chinese tourists. A BBC Airline Quiz. Avoiding theft on board a plane. The possibility of traveling in hypertubes. Leaving electronics on during flight*?

Without looking, you cannot tell which of those are in TravelBuzz and which are in Travel News.

Because the two forums are redundant.


*that's a trick example: a thread exists on that topic in BOTH Travel News and TravelBuzz!.
kokonutz is offline  
Old Sep 5, 13, 8:46 pm
  #62  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
Originally Posted by lin821 View Post
If I am not mistaken, this thread is about FT's Travel News Forum, which koko wants to close, not the FT homepage.

Having said that, I share the same confusion with Sharon, especially when our MilesBuzz! Forum is taking significantly more "beating" recently:
Shutting down the forum would essentially shut down all news available to the user.. A link to the Travel News Forum should be labeled clearly at the homepage for convenience of users who want to see 'all' news stories, not just the features of the day.

More archived information on FT, gives FT additional credibility. FT is already unique that way.. essentially cutting off the Travel News Forum is like cutting off the body, of its head.. so to speak
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 12:29 am
  #63  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 29,891
For instance, how is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tels-bust.html a productive post "with commentary?" That isn't material commentary. Ironically, it has remained open during this debate.
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 8:21 am
  #64  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,876
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Shutting down the forum would essentially shut down all news available to the user.. A link to the Travel News Forum should be labeled clearly at the homepage for convenience of users who want to see 'all' news stories, not just the features of the day.

More archived information on FT, gives FT additional credibility. FT is already unique that way.. essentially cutting off the Travel News Forum is like cutting off the body, of its head.. so to speak


I think you might have just helped me make my decision to vote "yes" on this topic. If there's so much confusion surrounding what Travel News is that you think shutting it down will cut off all news available to the user even though it's been clearly stated here that the exact same stuff can be posted in TravelBuzz, then maybe it'd be better to eliminate it in order to eliminate the possibility of getting confused.

I used to visit Newsstand when it was interesting. It isn't interesting anymore. If it can't be made interesting and unique again, then I support shuttering it.
jackal is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 8:26 am
  #65  
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Posts: 33,673
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
For instance, how is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tels-bust.html a productive post "with commentary?" That isn't material commentary. Ironically, it has remained open during this debate.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jackal View Post


...If there's so much confusion surrounding what Travel News is that you think shutting it down will cut off all news available to the user even though it's been clearly stated here that the exact same stuff can be posted in TravelBuzz, then maybe it'd be better to eliminate it in order to eliminate the possibility of getting confused.
While I really don't care what the TB decides to do, I am confused by the claim that there is confusion about the purpose of Travel News; it's really very tightly focused: links to and discussion of published general travel news stories that are not airline/hotel/destination-specific. In fact, the Travel Buzz mods will often move threads there because the threads exactly fit those criteria.

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
...It was nice to have an inventory of stories there covering a wide range of topics and have the discretion whether to read them or not based on a descriptive topic title provided from a newspaper or wire service. I really do miss the forum as it was before the changes. I did regularly participate there before the changes and I'd venture that the majority of my posts there did not include commentary. The news articles pretty much stood on their own.
At the request of a Travel News regular, all stories that are posted to Travel News which are more appropriately then moved to an airline/hotel/destination-specific forum are left with a 30-day re-direct so that folks can find stories of interest in forums that they might not ordinarily frequent. It would certainly be easy to make those re-directs permanent if that was the wisdom of those who use the forum. (One of the very most annoying things on any informational bulletin board is having multiple discussions of the same topic in multiple forums. It's extremely unfriendly to newbies, too, who would expect to find discussion of a topic in that topic's forum. A 30-day or permanent re-direct allows the best of both worlds -- a cross-reference while keeping a topic's discussion focused in one forum)

Last edited by cblaisd; Sep 6, 13 at 8:33 am
cblaisd is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 9:07 am
  #66  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 47,357
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
For instance, how is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tels-bust.html a productive post "with commentary?" That isn't material commentary. Ironically, it has remained open during this debate.
If that thread was in TravelBuzz!, it might actually GET some eyes on it and therefore some discussion. Part of the problem is that so few folks visit Travel News because its has become redundant to the more-frequented TravelBuzz!.

Originally Posted by jackal View Post


I think you might have just helped me make my decision to vote "yes" on this topic. If there's so much confusion surrounding what Travel News is that you think shutting it down will cut off all news available to the user even though it's been clearly stated here that the exact same stuff can be posted in TravelBuzz, then maybe it'd be better to eliminate it in order to eliminate the possibility of getting confused.

I used to visit Newsstand when it was interesting. It isn't interesting anymore. If it can't be made interesting and unique again, then I support shuttering it.
Restoring the original the remit of that forum appears to be beyond the control of the TalkBoard, as its change in remit was done through moderator channels, and the TB has no say in moderation matters.

But having turned that forum into something utterly redundant to TravelBuzz, it is not just the TB's remit, but I would assert it is our responsibility to shut it down so that all discussion of general travel topics can take place in a single forum: TravelBuzz!.
kokonutz is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 9:57 am
  #67  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 29,891
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
If that thread was in TravelBuzz!, it might actually GET some eyes on it and therefore some discussion. Part of the problem is that so few folks visit Travel News because its has become redundant to the more-frequented TravelBuzz!.

Restoring the original the remit of that forum appears to be beyond the control of the TalkBoard, as its change in remit was done through moderator channels, and the TB has no say in moderation matters.

But having turned that forum into something utterly redundant to TravelBuzz, it is not just the TB's remit, but I would assert it is our responsibility to shut it down so that all discussion of general travel topics can take place in a single forum: TravelBuzz!.
And what a timely discussion. The higher power has to decide if the forum shall be inscribed in the book of life during these next several days, to determine if it shall survive the year 5774. If we see Travel News at Kol Nidre Services, maybe it has a chance. But it is hard to get tickets at this late date. Accordingly, it will probably die.

And so it will be good.

Amen
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 12:36 pm
  #68  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 30,828
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I used to visit Newsstand when it was interesting. It isn't interesting anymore. If it can't be made interesting and unique again, then I support shuttering it.
Just change the rules back to what they were before. I don't recall the Talk Board voting on the requirement that commentary is mandatory in order to post a news link and a few lines from an article. Take that off the table and it will be a vibrant forum again.
tom911 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 12:41 pm
  #69  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 30,828
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Restoring the original the remit of that forum appears to be beyond the control of the TalkBoard, as its change in remit was done through moderator channels, and the TB has no say in moderation matters.
Easy solution: close down Travel News and reopen Newsstand with more liberal posting requirements not requiring commentary, just like it was for years before. Surely the Talk Board can still create and delete forums or has that been taken out of your purview, too?
tom911 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 12:57 pm
  #70  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 30,828
Where are all the other Talk Board members on this issue? Would be nice to see where some of the infrequently posting members stand on this topic instead of the same Talk Board members over and over again. Hans Golden? Cholulua? Have an opinion on this issue? Any questions? Comments?
tom911 is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 1:03 pm
  #71  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 47,357
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Easy solution: close down Travel News and reopen Newsstand with more liberal posting requirements not requiring commentary, just like it was for years before. Surely the Talk Board can still create and delete forums or has that been taken out of your purview, too?
I'd be more than happy to entertain a suggestion to create a new old-school Newstand-type forum with a specific remit included in its creation if Travel News is eliminated.

What we can NOT do is undo a moderator decision.
kokonutz is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 2:13 pm
  #72  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Over the Bay Bridge, CA
Programs: Jumbo mas
Posts: 29,891
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
I'd be more than happy to entertain a suggestion to create a new old-school Newstand-type forum with a specific remit included in its creation if Travel News is eliminated.

What we can NOT do is undo a moderator decision.
Ah, so you can amputate the broken limb, but not perform corrective surgery to make it functional again!
Eastbay1K is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 2:27 pm
  #73  
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth
Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Posts: 47,357
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Ah, so you can amputate the broken limb, but not perform corrective surgery to make it functional again!
TB can only control that which is in the purview of the TB.

But even if we kill the current forum and create a new one with a very specific remit, I don't know if that will bring doc back. And doc really made Newsstand what it was.
kokonutz is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 2:32 pm
  #74  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 18,686
How bout rename the forum to Travel News-News Stand?.. Not sure about the News Stand format, but reformat and perform corrective surgery as needed.

I like to be able to comment on an article. Keeping that function would be nice since this is a forum.
Ancien Maestro is offline  
Old Sep 6, 13, 3:03 pm
  #75  
Moderator, Alaska Airlines & FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SGF
Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR (ex-75K, GLD, 1K, and S+), Choice Diamond, HZ PC, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Posts: 22,876
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
How bout rename the forum to Travel News-News Stand?.. Not sure about the News Stand format, but reformat and perform corrective surgery as needed.

I like to be able to comment on an article. Keeping that function would be nice since this is a forum.
You would still be welcome to post an article in or comment on an article posted in TravelBuzz.

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Ah, so you can amputate the broken limb, but not perform corrective surgery to make it functional again!
It looks like while the TalkBoard can't correct a broken limb, we apparently have the power to amputate the limb and then regrow the limb from scratch. We're like a salamander!
jackal is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread