Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposal/suggestion/question/debate: Should Travel News be eliminated/refocused?

Proposal/suggestion/question/debate: Should Travel News be eliminated/refocused?

Old Nov 12, 11, 5:00 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
I'm very grateful to tom911 and Dovster for the reminders of the "legislative history" around what is appropriate for the forum and what is best put elsewhere. I was aware, of course, of the intent that Travel News (formerly Newsstand) be for the discussion of "general travel news" but did not have the exact citation expressing the TalkBoard's wishes re.

I'm glad that the forum guidelines (which are simple and which I've added to today for some clarity, I hope) clearly do express the intent of the TalkBoard in its long-ago consideration of this matter as well as the TOS's requirement that copyrighted materials be re-capped (i.e., discussed in the poster's own words) rather than simply copied verbatim.

There is other history around the forum, as Dovster points out, but that really isn't germane to the present situation, nor would it be helpful or kind to rehearse.

One very helpful exchange I had with a member eventuated in the practice that any thread that is moved to the correct forum will have a 30-day re-direct left in Travel News so as to be more helpful to the members who might wish to follow a story that they first learn of there. My thanks to that member for a well-reasoned win-win suggestion -- and I'm always open to hearing such civil and thoughtful suggestions directly. Thanks!

cblaisd
(Moderator, Travel News)
Old Nov 12, 11, 8:07 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
TB, as I would like to see it, would not get involved in a particular decision but rather on a wider basis.

If there were a number of complaints about a particular moderator, TB would review his actions and decide whether or not he should retain his position.

If a moderator were to institute a rule on his forum which TB felt over-reached his authority or violated the TOS, it would be able to veto that rule.

If a moderator refused to enforce a particular segment of the TOS on his forum, TB might give him the choice of enforcing it or being removed.

Quite honestly, the morale of the 70+ moderators is less important to me than the morale of the thousands of general members. These members, of course, have no way to even publicly express their unhappiness with a specific situation if it involves moderation. They do, however, have the ability to vote out a TB member who ignores what they see to be a problem.
Your post contains a lot of merit. Clearly if the TB is tasked with creating forums it should have a say in what goes on in those forums.

'Because that's the way it has always been done' is the flat out worst reason to do anything ever.

It's a newish day on FT under newish management. It's not a cult of personality anymore.

And the number one thing posters have always asked for is moderation that is accountable to the posters.

The TB, imho, should make any and every recommendation to the CD that it sees as in the best interests of FT. If the CD doesn't like it, so be it. She's The Man, so to speak.

The policy that led to the OP is an excellent start, and should be emulated for all forums. TB input on mega-threads would be a welcome second step.
Old Nov 13, 11, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
And the number one thing posters have always asked for is moderation that is accountable to the posters.
Really? I am not sure how I would ever arrive at the conclusion that it is the number one thing for which posters on FT have always asked.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
The policy that led to the OP is an excellent start, and should be emulated for all forums. TB input on mega-threads would be a welcome second step.
I agree, for Travel News -- as it has been headed in recent months not years -- seems an exercise in artificial desertification.
Old Nov 13, 11, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Your post contains a lot of merit. Clearly if the TB is tasked with creating forums it should have a say in what goes on in those forums.

'Because that's the way it has always been done' is the flat out worst reason to do anything ever.

It's a newish day on FT under newish management. It's not a cult of personality anymore.

The TB, imho, should make any and every recommendation to the CD that it sees as in the best interests of FT. If the CD doesn't like it, so be it. She's The Man, so to speak.

Well, I did have one further comment about your post that I found surprising. The TB, imho ... that little "h" -
Old Nov 13, 11, 1:47 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Dovster View Post
My posts have been about TalkBoard's purview -- and whether it should, or should not, include moderation.
Since '03 when I joined FT, moderation has never been part of TB's purview. Randy (and now Carol) reiterated that a gazillion times.

This thread is about Newstand.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 11, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, TSA Pre!
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Since '03 when I joined FT, moderation has never been part of TB's purview. Randy (and now Carol) reiterated that a gazillion times.

This thread is about Newstand.

Cheers.
But the above-stated policy demonstrates that there is a difference between 'moderation' and 'specific forum rules.' The precedent was set.

That the TB has not created more specific forum rules is on the TB, and on the knee-jerk reaction of many on the TB that things are 'off limits moderation' that are actually not.

Finally, and to 'go there,' WHY in the world is there this iron curtain between moderators and the poster responsiveness. Randy could never articulate a coherent rationale and I still have yet to see one.
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Well, I did have one further comment about your post that I found surprising. The TB, imho ... that little "h" -
My wife is a pretty strong woman. She was looking over my shoulder as I was typing an email not long ago and I put IMHO in it.

She said, is that really your honest opinion?

I said, um, that doesn't mean 'in my honest opinion, it means in my humble opinion.'

She said, 'oh, please, don't be silly, humble is not in my vocabulary.'
Old Nov 14, 11, 7:31 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My wife is a pretty strong woman. She was looking over my shoulder as I was typing an email not long ago and I put IMHO in it.

She said, is that really your honest opinion?

I said, um, that doesn't mean 'in my honest opinion, it means in my humble opinion.'

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 11, 7:37 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I call "bull" on this.

I am certain she said, "'oh, please, don't be silly, humble is not in your vocabulary."
Old Nov 14, 11, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I support just closing it. I created a new thread assuming an existing thread would be closed, given recent history on providing direct quotes from a news source. Since they were merged together, supporting OP's note that it is a "complicated forum to use." and "that many posters are clearly confused about what belongs there, what doesn't, what the posting guidelines are, and what happens when the posts aren't in compliance.", this leads me to agree that it should just be killed.
Old Nov 14, 11, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
I support just closing it. I created a new thread assuming an existing thread would be closed, given recent history on providing direct quotes from a news source. Since they were merged together, supporting OP's note that it is a "complicated forum to use." and "that many posters are clearly confused about what belongs there, what doesn't, what the posting guidelines are, and what happens when the posts aren't in compliance.", this leads me to agree that it should just be killed.
As it stands now, it might as well be wrapped up into Travel Buzz, with a caveat on posting too much verbatim for copyright concerns.
Old Dec 11, 11, 3:36 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Despite what feels like contradictory complaints that too many things are moved and too few things are moved, I would aver that there continues to be a need for a forum where general travel news (not flogging blogs) stories can be discussed and which are non-airline/hotel/geography-specific.

Here are some examples of such from the forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...avel-card.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ested-dui.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lt-renton.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...installed.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...est-while.html
Old Dec 11, 11, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Despite what feels like contradictory complaints that too many things are moved and too few things are moved, I would aver that there continues to be a need for a forum where general travel news (not flogging blogs) stories can be discussed and which are non-airline/hotel/geography-specific.

Here are some examples of such from the forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...avel-card.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ested-dui.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...lt-renton.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...installed.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...est-while.html
Weird. I thought I posted earlier today that I had started a thread about this in the private TB forum. I guess I forgot to hit submit reply or something.

Anyway, I posted the following in the TB private forum today:

Is it time to close 'Travel News?'

The forum appears to be redundant to the program or destination forums that exist on FT. I think it ought to be closed.
I also posted this in regard to cblaisd's notion above:

That's a very small number of stories [that don't fit into a specific FT forum]. FT is pretty comprehensive.

What few of those there are belong in travelbuzz.
Old Dec 22, 11, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

removed

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 24, 11 at 12:57 pm
Old Dec 26, 11, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Perhaps the Travel News forum can be redefined, based on the changing relevancy..

Definitely, at the face of its name, it would be important that a forum such as Travel News stay in existence, so that FT would remain relevant..

Is there a News travel tracker that could automatically feed into the forum, and corresponding comments made in accordance to each article? The forum could become a reference database with ongoing discussions..
Old Dec 28, 11, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Is there a News travel tracker that could automatically feed into the forum, and corresponding comments made in accordance to each article?
Like a dedicated google news feed? I'd be interested in the forum moderator's take on that. It would become a very busy forum overnight compared to what it is now.

Search this Thread