Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Do TB member get any undisclosed perks from IB or travel companies?

Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:33 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA

I heard that IB sponsored a mod-Do in Boston recently and gave mods a stipend to pay for travel.

More interestingly, I heard that some major hotel chains are comping FT mods top tier status.

I am not asking about the mods activities since this is not the place for that, but in light of what I heard, I would like to know if TB members get travel stipends from IB and/or if they get status from travel product providers for their service.

This might make a run for the TB far more attractive!!!

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My TB salary remains unchanged since I began serving on TalkBoard and is the same as yours when you retired.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 12:58 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
That's too bad. A token of appreciation might make the thankless task of TB memberhip less thankless!

Although I suppose it might raise some questions about impartiality.

I think as long as the spiff was disclosed it would be acceptable. Trying to keeping it secret would be more likely to raise concerns. @:-)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Although I suppose it might raise some questions about impartiality.

I think as long as the spiff was disclosed it would be acceptable. Trying to keeping it secret would be more likely to raise concerns. @:-)
The impartiality issue would be huge for me. Even more so for a mod, if he/she was granted status just for their FT position.

I believe full disclosure would be prudent, for both TB and the mods.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by Smaug
The impartiality issue would be huge for me. Even more so for a mod, if he/she was granted status just for their FT position.

I believe full disclosure would be prudent, for both TB and the mods.
The answer has been given for TalkBoard.

As for the moderators, that's irrelevant and off-topic in this forum.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Spiff
The answer has been given for TalkBoard.

As for the moderators, that's irrelevant and off-topic in this forum.
Not necessary off-topic, IMO. You have some TB members who are also moderators.

If a TB member who is also a moderator takes in some sort of "benefit" (whether monetary, status, or something else) as a result of his/her moderator position, does that not give even a slight impression of impropriety in terms of being impartial in his/her TB duties?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Smaug
Not necessary off-topic, IMO. You have some TB members who are also moderators.

If a TB member who is also a moderator takes in some sort of "benefit" (whether monetary, status, or something else) as a result of his/her moderator position, does that not give even a slight impression of impropriety in terms of being impartial in his/her TB duties?
It is irrelevant as to whether a TalkBoard member serves in any other capacity. There is no prohibition against such service.

Questions about moderators or moderation should be directed to the Community Director. The TalkBoard has no purview over moderators or moderation. @:-)
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
My TB salary remains unchanged since I began serving on TalkBoard and is the same as yours when you retired.
A salary is different than a stipend toward travel expenses. Therefore, it's a non-answer
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
A salary is different than a stipend toward travel expenses. Therefore, it's a non-answer
I received the same or fewer perqs for serving on TalkBoard that the OP did when he was on TalkBoard.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is irrelevant as to whether a TalkBoard member serves in any other capacity.
while there are not a lot of TB votes, i think the question was about things impacting those votes.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 2:51 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If UA or AA would grant me top-tier status for being on TalkBoard, would I be less likely to vote to close their forum? This is of course a purely hypothetical question, although I suppose I can dream. The answer is No: 0-0=0.

TB members, moderator, and FT members alike are not for sale. We are opinionated SOBs. While we normally state our opinions politely, those opinions are honest and based on what the company offers to the public.

Anyone who has followed the Southwest forum over the past two years will tell you that regulars have become disenchanted with that company. We would remain so even if Southwest tried to buy us off without offering the same deal to all customers.

I have attended one in-person TB meeting, and I don't recall receiving anything other than hearty thanks from IB. I was happy to have had the opportunity, and I know it benefited the membership. I presented an outline of the forum creation guidelines at that meeting, and now we have a process that is making it simpler than ever to create a new forum when needed.

Should IB pay expenses for meetings of TB? Maybe, but that's their call. Should they then make that information public? I would, but again, it's their call. Should IB pay for people's time to attend? Not in my opinion, as if that would ever happen. FTers love to talk and we'll do it for free. In short, this thread is much ado about nothing.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
while there are not a lot of TB votes, i think the question was about things impacting those votes.
The question as to TalkBoard members being compensated has been answered.

Any questions regarding TalkBoard members wearing other hats on FlyerTalk is beyond the purview of the TalkBoard and should be directed to the Community Director, regardless of the motive for asking the question(s).
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx
We are opinionated SOBs.
I agree completely.

Speaking only for myself I would be disappointed if there were perks given to TB members that weren't publicly disclosed.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I received the same or fewer perqs for serving on TalkBoard that the OP did when he was on TalkBoard.
But a stipend isn't a perquisite

You do realize that by not answering the question being asked, you're answering it, right?
Old Oct 5, 2011, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Any questions regarding TalkBoard members wearing other hats on FlyerTalk is beyond the purview of the TalkBoard and should be directed to the Community Director, regardless of the motive for asking the question(s).
In other words, it is SSI, right?

Gee, Ma, that is just like the TSA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.