Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Failed to Pass: Restore Post Count Credit for Omni

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by wharvey
I do not understand this... just make both forums parent forums and not subforums... and they should be able to be treated differently.
And that can be a separate thread or proposal at some point, but isn't the topic of this one.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by nsx
So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion. Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback.
Originally Posted by as219
I don't even know how to respond to this. I was under the impression that this thread was specifically designed to discuss this topic in further detail. Apparently I was mistaken.
IMHO, this thread is not to debate the responses of other people's opinions. I'm happy to discuss mine with you elsewhere.

I could be wrong in my interpretation, but that is why I offered the Omni thread.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by Cholula
FWIW, here's my post in the private TB forum:
Can I suggest amending this motion to include doing away with the evangelist status?

It looks to me like earning evangelist status gives these users some sort of respect that a non evangelist user might get.. So why not do away with it?

How about an asterisk system for those that earned it posting outside miles and points..
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by It'sHip2B^2
I think that Mary has some very good points. I've learned as much good stuff on Omni as I have on any other forum.
Completely agree. FT is a *community* and Omni is part of that community.

I've not been here very long but I think that many of the high post count people who've been here a long time have post counts that include Onmi posts from the time before Omni counting was stopped. That creates a potentially false image of the value of "older" contributor vs a newer one.
I disagree about this, for this reason: My non-Omni posts have mostly been concentrated in the Delta, Continental and SPG forums, with a few here and there elsewhere. Yet (for those who are concerned about such things) if I were to post in the Cathay forum (which I don't believe that I ever have), would not those very non-Omni posts give a "potentially false" image of me as a contributor, b/c I have lots of non-Omni posts, but zero experience with Cathay?

That's what I think takes the air out of the "Apostheid" balloon. Nobody should give any thought to post count when judging the content of someone's post, rather they should base their judgement on the quality of the advice in the post. @:-)

I wish there were a way to separately state the counts. It would be nice to have a "fluff" count and a "real" count.
That would be useful if a user's posts could be broken down by section, (e.g. Delta: 299, Virgin: 92, SPG: 5466, etc.)

Until then let ALL the posts count!

O/H
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by ewrfox
Can I suggest amending this motion to include doing away with the evangelist status?
And that can be a separate thread or proposal at some point, but isn't the topic of this one.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
No. OMNI posts should not count.

Neither should lounge posts. But that's a different story. Where moderators have permitted lounge posts (I assume so that the community of loungers have some ties), we cannot change now.

But that does not mean we should allow another forum to have posts count. That is what one calls "slippery slope".
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:08 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Because OT threads in other forums are usually limited in number and strictly controlled, and their effect on members' post counts is correspondingly limited. Post counts are not a precise scientific measure, but they are a decent proportionate indication which is not skewed by a few OT posts in a few OT threads.

OMNI is a completely different ballgame.I am not one of them. In the present system, post counts do mean something. At present, if a FTer has a substantial post count and they are generally respected within the community, that post count is a significant piece of information.

If you add in all the OMNI posts, post counts will become pretty much meaningless.
I agree and by extension would prefer that posts in OMNI continue not to register against a member's post count.

The side argument about lounge threads is an interesting parallel but this has not been addressed thus far by our Talk Board, and thus may be tackled separately. Let's try not cloud the issue.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:08 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by aacharya
No. OMNI posts should not count.

Neither should lounge posts. But that's a different story. Where moderators have permitted lounge posts (I assume so that the community of loungers have some ties), we cannot change now.

But that does not mean we should allow another forum to have posts count. That is what one calls "slippery slope".
When there was discussion about adding images to OMNI, one of the arguments for it was that allowing images in OMNI is simply treating OMNI the same way the rest of FT is treated. As such, that's all this would be doing would be to treat OMNI the same way as the rest of FT.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Mary2e
The Talk Board, by virtue of allowing images in Omni and stating it was to be treated like the rest of FT, already decided that Omni was just the same as the rest of FT.

As well, what does Dining Buzz have to do with the core mission of this site?

The arguments presented are listed as examples of different treatments for the same type posts. That is inconsistent and sends mixed messages.
Seriously? Dining Buzz has great information related to dining while traveling. I seek out recommendations and insight on that forum anytime I hit the road. Best and worst steakhouses, best and worst bars/places for a drink, and other, very travel-related threads. But that's a different discussion for a different day.

Back on topic, I still say "no" to including OMNI posts in the post count.

Last edited by dchristiva; Jul 26, 2011 at 12:29 pm
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:22 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
Originally Posted by Prospero
I agree and by extension would prefer that posts in OMNI continue not to register against a member's post count.

The side argument about lounge threads is an interesting parallel but this has not been addressed thus far by our Talk Board, and thus may be tackled separately. Let's try not cloud the issue.

You mean threads like this?

Now if I were to start this same thread in Omni wouldn’t you say it should be counted as well?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
Whether lounge threads are allowed to stay in a forum is up to the mods of that forum. So far they seem to have allowed them. Whether they should have way back when is a separate issue, but one decided by the mods and/or Randy. I'd be surprised if the mods decide at this point to move the lounge threads to Omni (as has been suggested by some), but that's their decision to make & not TB's.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:26 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Whether lounge threads are allowed to stay in a forum is up to the mods of that forum. So far they seem to have allowed them. Whether they should have way back when is a separate issue, but one decided by the mods and/or Randy. I'd be surprised if the mods decide at this point to move the lounge threads to Omni (as has been suggested by some), but that's their decision to make & not TB's.

Cheers.
Surely setting the guiding principles is something for TalkBoard. I agree the method of implementation is something for individual forum mods to address.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by ewrfox
You mean threads like this?

Now if I were to start this same thread in Omni wouldn’t you say it should be counted as well?
See, you're clouding the issue. This vote is whether OMNI posts should (or should not) register against a member's post count.

If there are any strategic concerns relating to lounge style threads then that is something our TalkBoard may wish to raise separately. Thus far, TalkBoard has not tabled any such motion relating to lounge threads or lounge style threads.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, AS
Anyone else notice that participation in the silly counting and threads dropped way down when they no longer contributed to one's post count?

I think that posts in Omni should only be counted if and when the silly games threads (as listed upthread) are separated out into their own ignorable forum. (Especially the counting threads - trying for 500,000 posts? )
Old Jul 26, 2011, 12:47 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
When there was discussion about adding images to OMNI, one of the arguments for it was that allowing images in OMNI is simply treating OMNI the same way the rest of FT is treated. As such, that's all this would be doing would be to treat OMNI the same way as the rest of FT.
I disagree. OMNI shouldn't be treated the same as any other forum IMHO as it's controversial nature makes it as "unique" a forum as CC which was specifically excluded in the motion wording. I do not support the passage of this motion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.