Wiki Posts
Search

Motion Passed: Create Iberia Forum

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: UAL, AAL, DAL, NKS, JBU
I'm in favor as well.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Originally Posted by lin821
I don't know why certain General Members who speak up in this motion thread "think" they are casting any vote.

Unless you are a TBer, you CANNOT vote on any TB motion.

I only wish there were more FTers who'd do their best to get familiar with how TalkBoard works. There's a sticky thread about TB voting already.

Please allow me to borrow an old post from another TB motion thread with highlights:

Just want to make sure we are on the same and correct page here.
It's a figure of speech my dear Lin. Now get back to correcting my Google Translate Chinese grammar.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Originally Posted by Prospero
That is a depressing statistic given IB carries over 20 million passengers per annum (2009 figures), serving over 100 destinations across 39 countries.
Nearly none of whom speak English as a first language, or at all.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Now get back to correcting my Google Translate Chinese grammar.
Wrong board to bring this up, Chiffy! Not to mention your problems are more than just Chinese grammar.

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
It's a figure of speech my dear Lin.
I doubt it.

I've seen enough TB motion threads that most FTers with "I vote yes" types of comments in their posts really believe they are voting, while in reality, at least the the reality of TalkBoard, they can't.

The other thing about expressing one's opinions as a FTer in TalkBoard Topics Forum is that "I agree" & "+1" types of feedback actually doesn't help TBers base their decisions on their votes, unless:
1) the argument has been made clearly and/or established by other fellow FTers. Or
2) there's an almost unanimous "verdict" on the motion at hand.

The 9 TBers are not counting hands before they vote. They want to hear where you are coming from, with "substance." Does every proposal/suggestion threads here accomplish that? Sadly, no. That's why quite a few suggestion threads in TB Topics Forum fail to take off to the ground for TB motions.

This Iberia Forum motion thread, OTOH, has made it this far to be a motion. I don't know Iberia enough to provide any substance. That's why I want to make sure for those who are supportive of creating this new forum, or otherwise, can make a very good case before the voting ends on July 11.

The bottom line is FTers have no voting power. TBers do. And they need us FTers' assistance to perform their job by providing them "substance." Let's help them do their job.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Not convinced that an IB forum is required currently, but it is certainly one to wtach if the demand increases.

I agree it is a key oneworld member, but if there is limited demand...

Alternatively - is the absence of an IB forum a reason for few IB post? I do think there is creep into the BA forum.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
If that's the case, I would expect those posts would have been moved to their correct location.
Old Jul 2, 2011, 11:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Id like to see Iberia have its own forum as others have posted It is a major OW airline, and I do believe that traffic to the forum will grow if it is separated from BA. There are always specifics regarding schedules, hubs and airport questions, luggage allowances, connection times, and all kinds of service questions that are specific to a given airline even if they are part of an alliance or there are operating overlaps with other partners.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by lin821
I don't know why certain General Members who speak up in this motion thread "think" they are casting any vote.

Unless you are a TBer, you CANNOT vote on any TB motion.

I only wish there were more FTers who'd do their best to get familiar with how TalkBoard works. There's a sticky thread about TB voting already.

Please allow me to borrow an old post from another TB motion thread with highlights:

Just want to make sure we are on the same and correct page here.
People are telling TBers how they feel. TBers vote for what they think is best for FT, and if FTers are interested in something...
Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
I vote yes for a number of reasons.

One, sorting through all the One-World threads in order to find information particular to Iberia is extremely tedious.

Two, Having a seperate Forum will consolidate all future information and discussion into threads equal to other airlines on FT.

Three, I believe there is a greater interest and need for an Iberia Forum. To wit, many of us partook of the AA credit card offers and banked 200,000 miles or more per household. These miles are now available for use on Iberia. I myself have spent much time trying to find out out Iberia's reward system and would love to have a centralized area for information.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA PLAT (2.8MM), DL Diamond, UA*S, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTE, Hilton DIAMOND, IHG PLT
I vote yes
Old Jul 3, 2011, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA/CO, DL
I also am in favor of this as well.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by joshwex90
People are telling TBers how they feel. TBers vote for what they think is best for FT, and if FTers are interested in something...
Yes, and TBers have made it very clearly for FTers to explain why, not just how. Read the sticky and you know expressing a like (or dislike) without strong argument and/or supporting material doesn't help build a case about creating or closing a forum.

FTers are more than welcome to continue saying "I vote yes" but TBers are not counting heads nor hands here. That's my point. Yes, I am anal on this voting thingy.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 3:35 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by alanw
Nearly none of whom speak English as a first language, or at all.
Sounds a bit flippant when you put it like that but it is very true. Spanish speaking IB passengers are too busy squeezing live chickens and televisions in the overhead bins to come to FT and talk about which seat has the nicest arm rests.

What is good for IB is also good for LA which constantly gets rejected by TalkBoard for its own forum. Major OneWorld partner, 4 million LanPass members etc. Operating airlines from 4 (or 5) countries, best alliance network in South America.

The Spanish speaking "thing" is also an equally good reason to give both airlines their own forum because they both have dire hispanic customer services and one would imagine that FT might fill the void and provide a place for frequent flyers of both airlines to exchange ideas and help out the non-regular FTers on OW awards or non frequent flyers. I'd say that's particularly pertinent now there is the tie-up with AA and IB code shares are being offered on the AA website alongside generous AAdvantage bonuses.

Completely subjective but Madrid this weekend has been brimming at the gills with Americans, more than British people even. So looks like Americans are indeed crossing the pond and making Spain a destination of choice. I'd say a good proportion of those people are flying at least 1 segment on IB
Old Jul 4, 2011, 4:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by joshwex90
And it's run by BA?
Owned by BA would be more accurate - I think it's administered as a separate programme under it's own trademark (AirMiles), but the company is a limited company owned by BA.

A very brief and easy google brings you to this, which should tell you all you ever wanted to know:
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/tertiary/aboutus.do
Old Jul 4, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jenbel
Owned by BA would be more accurate - I think it's administered as a separate programme under it's own trademark (AirMiles), but the company is a limited company owned by BA.

A very brief and easy google brings you to this, which should tell you all you ever wanted to know:
http://www.airmiles.co.uk/tertiary/aboutus.do
Actually Airmiles UK is licensed by a BA subsidiary in the UK only . The Air Miles concept was originated by British company Loyalty Management Group (LMG), which licensed local rights to the concept to various operators in different countries. It was originated by Sir Keith Mills, and began operating in the UK in November 1988. LMG was later acquired by Canadian firm Groupe Aeroplan, which retains the intellectual property associated with the Air Miles name and logo internationally, and is the majority partner in the Air Miles program in the Middle East. In all other countries in which Air Miles programs operate, Aeroplan is the licensor and is not involved in program operation. In Canada, Air Miles competes directly with the program operated by Aeroplan. The Air Miles program in the UK has no affiliation with the Nectar program operated by Aeroplan.

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/AboutUs
http://www.airmiles.nl/airmiles/default.asp
https://www.travelclub.es/
http://www.airmilesme.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.