Proposal: ETIHAD Airlines forums

Old Dec 9, 2008, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Hi all,

Do you have anything suggest to create new ETIHAD Airlines forums. I know there is no new EY forums but, the flight is very successful route for EY. I knows EY is doing quite very well. Let's speculating begin try to have create new EY forums to keep away from Emirates Airlines. So it will have real opportunity for EY forums will be there. I think its should be considered to create new EY forums instead of Other Middle Eastern forums. Thanks for your concerns to me.

Regards
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How many EY threads on other forums?
Old Dec 9, 2008, 10:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Does OP actually fly EY?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
How many EY threads on other forums?
I think it was lot of EY thread by OME&A Forums. So perhaps I think its should create to get new forums with EY. I'm sure if you will able reading it. I think its should be just fine.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcook052
Does OP actually fly EY?
I knows it was some of FTs members who already flown on EY.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:47 pm

Colour me steadfastly unconvinced FT needs a separate forum for every single airline in the air.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 8:12 am

I never quite understood the reasons why we don't have a specific forum for each major airline? Maybe someone could explain that to me...
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by 500 miles at a time
I never quite understood the reasons why we don't have a specific forum for each major airline? Maybe someone could explain that to me...
Or "minor" airline for that matter. I'd think that even Air Zimbabwe would receive a bit of traffic proportionate to it's size and importance. If it only generates a couple posts a month, so what? At least you'd know where to ask questions or make inquiries. And whatever information was generated for that airline would be archived in a specific place thus making it easier to find in the future.

Every time I've asked this question I've received answers like "well, we tried that back in '99 but there wasn't enough traffic in the various forums so we closed down the slow ones and merged them into catchall regional forums like this one."

Well back in '99 FT had less than 10K members. Today that number is approaching 200K members so I think we need to revisit the concept of a forum for each airline and hotel.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:19 pm

A forum for every airline?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
A forum for every airline?
Why the ?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:37 pm

Why the ?
Because I'm of the opinion that an FT with hundreds of forums isn't something I'd like to see. How would a forum for airline S3, for example, in any way be desirable? Majors scheduled carriers, sure, but why players so obscure few have ever heard of them? How minor is minor BTW?

Why we would want to mint new forums without apparent regard for how much or how little they would be used? That seems backwards to me, but that's of course only MHO. If there's enough of a legitimate groundswell for additional airline forums to be added then they can be judged on their merits, not created en mass in some omnibus motion simply because we can.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 4:54 pm

How would having a forum for any given airline hurt someone who doesn't want to use it?

In terms of airline forums, why does it matter how much it is used? If it's useful to the people that use it, that's all that should matter.

How does lumping threads together in one big forum make life easier? Maybe we should have one big Flyertalk Forum containing all the posts? ^
Old Dec 11, 2008, 9:17 pm

How would having a forum for any given airline hurt someone who doesn't want to use it?
I use the forum jump feature almost exclusively and a few hundred more forums would make navigation that much more complex. Also how daunting a task would navigating pose to newcomers unfamiliar with hundreds of forums? Would they bother? Is it really necessary simply because it can be done?

In terms of airline forums, why does it matter how much it is used? If it's useful to the people that use it, that's all that should matter.
Then I guess we'll agree to disagree because I've never thought it too much to ask to have a minimum of interest to prompt forum creation. Why have forums that nobody uses?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by Cholula
back in '99 FT had less than 10K members. Today that number is approaching 200K members so I think we need to revisit the concept of a forum for each airline and hotel.
Cholula, I am not sure if you are hinting TB is discussing something in the private forum.

If you are contemplating the idea of new fora for EACH airline and hotel, I would think it's too broad an idea. I agree with tcook052 that FT probably doesn't need an individual forum for each airline in the whole world.

Every airline/hotel is different. Some may serve FTers better under a regional/categorical forum, such as the recent TB discussion on airlines serving greater China. I don't know anything about the airlines in China. But I doubt it will make FT any better by having each individual forum for each airline in China (or greater China). Some FTers don't even know there's a China Forum when asking questions about China in TravelBuzz! Forum. (Well, they probably don't even know about Asia Forum on FT). I've been RBPing those misplaced threads to TravelBuzz! mods for a while.

I think in order to give an airline a separate forum on FT, it at least has to carry enough interests from FTers. I know nothing about EY. Whether EY deserves its own forum is beyond me. I leave that task to those FTers who are in the know.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
It didn't take long to derail this discussion off topic...

I'd appreciate TB members and former members, plus users of the ME forum, plus anyone who regularly flies or considers flying Emirates, Etihad, Qatar and other ME FFPs to comment - not on the discussion above necessarily, but on how the ME FFP forum is operating - and whether EY is busy enough to get what QR already has.

MANY FFPs / Airlines smaller than Etihad already have a FT forum. I hope that this request can be examined on merit, compared to similar airlines/FFPs.

We get a lot of news of Etihad as there are always developments of new routes, new lounges and terminals and new services.

There is not as much discussion about the details that often get discussed re miles & points.

I'm open to the possibility of an own forum but I think that it would be instructive for the current TB to discuss each individuals' philosophy about the question of a new forum.

Will unused/little used / failed expectations forums be reviewed first?
Do new forums have to prove metrics first, then a popularity test?
Does TB have initiative or does it want to respond to ordinary FTers?
Practically, does a new forum need eminent FTer sponsorship to get consideration?

Personally speaking, I would like to get FTers' evaluation of the Qatar forum - to use as a template for considering Etihad.

My opinion obviously counts for not that much and is biased toward EY, but I am also concerned that this issue is divisive because of previously opened forums in 2007/07 and the attempts to evaluate or close some.

Please remember that Etihad has a lot of good aspects in the air and in its FFP, which not everyone is aware of, due to their own preoccupation with alliances which might not benefit from flying EY.

Merry Christmas and Holidays / Hannukah / Eid and I hope that you can visit the ME FFP forum a few times before making up your mind about this issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.