Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Create an "Iberian Peninsula forum

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Suggestion: Create an "Iberian Peninsula forum

This would include Spain + islands, Portugal + islands, Gibraltar and Andorra. There have been many threads lately on this area in the Europe forum. Separating them would allow creating a few stickies with pertinent information for these destinations, just like the ones for Germany, France, etc.

Thanks for your consideration.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Hi Palal. Thank you for your suggestion. Just as an fyi for you, when we consider new forums - or subforums, we usually do it based on the following criteria:

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.

1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?

2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.

5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.

So if you think the proposed subforum would meet the above, I'd encourage you to give some examples, etc, to help us make a decision.

Cheers.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Thanks SkiAdcock for your clarifying questions. I am suggesting making this a sub-forum on the same level that France and Germany subforums are placed.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?
As of recently there has been a certain amount of clutter in the Europe forum with Spain and Portugal-related threads. Doing a quick google search will show that there are quite a few threads that are currently in the Europe forum for lack of a better place to put them.
2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company
Eh? I don't see how this applies to a regional forum.

3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?
Things are already being discussed, this proposal is simply to reduce the clutter in the Europe forum and to create a separate forum along the lines discussed above.

4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.
Judging by the number of threads I'd say it's on the same level as other subforums of similar types.
5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.
See my responses above re: google-searching for relevant threads.

Thanks and let me know if you need any more clarification.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 8:41 pm
Suspended

It's definitely better for FlyerTalk than OMNI restrictions ^ And is a very logical sub-forum for one of the most visited tourist regions in the world (depending on your poll, it's either 1, 2 or 3 in visitors per year - certainly more than Singapore)

Last edited by DownTheRappitHole; Mar 30, 2011 at 8:49 pm
Old Mar 31, 2011, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
To the OP, you might want to look at this. While not exactly the same, it gives you an idea of the type of info we look for/what someone else did when they requested a forum be created:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/15513445-post24.html

Cheers.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by DownTheRappitHole
... is a very logical sub-forum for one of the most visited tourist regions in the world (depending on your poll, it's either 1, 2 or 3 in visitors per year - certainly more than Singapore)
Playing devils' advocate, how's the stats in relevance to FT?

Applying your logic, Chinese should have been the "official" language for FT since Mandarin is the #1 most spoken language in the world. That I have no problem with since I speak better Mandarin than English.

Originally Posted by Palal
Eh? I don't see how this applies to a regional forum.
Yes, it does. Regional or not, what you are asking is to create a (sub)forum.

Here's another example that has failed to take off, despite OP's strong belief in such subforum. It may give you some ideas as to what and how (or not) to make your case.

As Sharon had mentioned, TalkBoard has established certain criteria w/r/t FTers' proposals for forum creation since 2009 (linky here & here). IIRC, the recent adopted motions for forum creation followed the guidelines and supporters all tried their best to demonstrate the unmet needs on FT. That's what "convinced" enough TBers to come up with motions then voted yes on them.

Last edited by lin821; Apr 1, 2011 at 1:24 pm Reason: typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.