Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Is the TB looking at MilePoint?

Old Feb 24, 11, 11:08 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife

Seems to me that there is a lot to be learned from the work going on over at MilePoint.

Is the TB actively looking at it and/or discussing some of the differences between FT and MP? Are any of our elected representatives participating in the face-to-face meetings convened to populate MP with data?

Any action planned to maintain the integrity, competitiveness and dominance of FT in light of the new/old kid on the block?
Old Feb 24, 11, 10:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by kokonutz View Post
Seems to me that there is a lot to be learned from the work going on over at MilePoint.

Is the TB actively looking at it and/or discussing some of the differences between FT and MP? Are any of our elected representatives participating in the face-to-face meetings convened to populate MP with data?

Any action planned to maintain the integrity, competitiveness and dominance of FT in light of the new/old kid on the block?
We have a super-secret set of spies scouting and sabotaging MP.

Seriously, the TalkBoard has its hands full with all the draft ideas I'm throwing at them this week. We are focused as always on making FT better without regard to what other sites do that is outside the capabilities of the vbulletin software. If vbulletin can't do it already or with minor modifications, it's off the table for FT. That's the way things have always been.

The TalkBoard is supposed to make judgments about how we can improve the value to FT to members. We listen to our members and we try hard to consider the interests of non-vocal members and potential members. We are only human and we will never agree 100% with any FT member. But if there's something you want and you don't post it in TalkBoard Topics, then you can only blame yourself.

I believe that 2011 has the potential to be a great year for the TalkBoard. For the moment it appears that we have a greater scope of action than ever before. So go ahead and be ambitious with those ideas.
Old Feb 25, 11, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
We are only human and we will never agree 100% with any FT member.

That is a pretty pompous statement. You will never agree 100% with any FT member?

Do you realize that you are stating that no matter what anybody on flyertalk says you will always find disagreement. Ouch. Now I clearly understand the defection to milepoint.
Old Feb 25, 11, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
We are focused as always on making FT better without regard to what other sites do that is outside the capabilities of the vbulletin software. If vbulletin can't do it already or with minor modifications, it's off the table for FT. That's the way things have always been.

The TalkBoard is supposed to make judgments about how we can improve the value to FT to members. We listen to our members and we try hard to consider the interests of non-vocal members and potential members. I believe that 2011 has the potential to be a great year for the TalkBoard. For the moment it appears that we have a greater scope of action than ever before. So go ahead and be ambitious with those ideas.
Originally Posted by alohastephen View Post
That is a pretty pompous statement. You will never agree 100% with any FT member?

Do you realize that you are stating that no matter what anybody on flyertalk says you will always find disagreement. Ouch. Now I clearly understand the defection to milepoint.
Oh good grief. I think you read way more into the statement than was intended and also misinterpreted it.

And FWIW - from what has been mentioned in Omni re: FT & MP, people are frequenting both BB - and in the case of MP, waiting to see what it looks like post-beta. There are things people don't like about MP or would like to see incorporated, but of course the place to provide that input is on MP.

Just as the place to offer input re: changes, new ideas for FT, etc, is on FT, whether it be in TB or in the Suggestions forum for IB.

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 11, 9:58 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
We have a super-secret set of spies scouting and sabotaging MP.
Oh, sweet. Stazi vs. CIA. Code-breaking and cold war disinformation. This is going to be cool!

Seriously, the TalkBoard has its hands full with all the draft ideas I'm throwing at them this week. We are focused as always on making FT better without regard to what other sites do that is outside the capabilities of the vbulletin software. If vbulletin can't do it already or with minor modifications, it's off the table for FT. That's the way things have always been.

The TalkBoard is supposed to make judgments about how we can improve the value to FT to members. We listen to our members and we try hard to consider the interests of non-vocal members and potential members. We are only human and we will never agree 100% with any FT member. But if there's something you want and you don't post it in TalkBoard Topics, then you can only blame yourself.

I believe that 2011 has the potential to be a great year for the TalkBoard. For the moment it appears that we have a greater scope of action than ever before. So go ahead and be ambitious with those ideas.
I hate to sound like a one note pianist, buy you DID ask for input! One of the wonderful, liberating things about MP right now is that there is no mega-threading going on. I can post a new spin on an old topic and it is not immediately mega-threaded into oblivion. Instead there is a natural discussion around it then it fades back in the pages.

For this reason and this reason alone, I am personally using MP to start new threads, but still reading and responding to threads here (other than OMNI and PR, natch!).

Of course, I brought this issue up before and it was perma-locked as too general, off-topic and/or unfixable.

That's the thing about competition, though ...it should make everyone try harder.

I DO applaud your pro-activism though, nsx. I hope that you don't find the TB 'culture of no' as frustrating as I did though.

Finally, I'm still curious to know how many of our TB members are on MP and whether any of y'all are attending the content building meetings.
Old Feb 25, 11, 10:37 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
One of the wonderful, liberating things about MP right now is that there is no mega-threading going on. I can post a new spin on an old topic and it is not immediately mega-threaded into oblivion. Instead there is a natural discussion around it then it fades back in the pages.
In the context of the normally quiet Southwest forum, I agree with you. For the first several days after the January 6 announcement of the new Rapid Rewards I merged new threads into the main announcement thread. In retrospect this was a mistake. I failed to realize that the main thread would rapidly grow to hundreds of posts (it's now over 1000), making it far too long to read.

I wanted to break it into at least 3 subjects, but I didn't have the time to sort through the posts. A natural evolution of topics would have been better for everyone. Laissez faire, as it were, with the posters or lack thereof determining whether each thread would sink or swim.

That said, your concern is out of scope for the TalkBoard. It's one that moderators discuss with some regularity, and I am reluctant to presume that I know how to deal with busy forums. Once you can no longer read everything, the game changes entirely.

You may find that the MP experience is mostly a result of light traffic. Quiet forums are naturally more friendly and fun than busy forums. On Internet boards, success carries a price. I expect MP to feel exactly like FT if it reaches the same traffic levels. In the meantime, users of busy forums on FT have a quieter place to go. Users of the quiet forums on FT like them and don't feel the urge to go anywhere.

Sorry for going all OMNI on you, but you did ask...
Old Feb 25, 11, 10:46 am

I registered for MP at the suggestion of a FTer who suggested doing so to keep my handle in case someone else tried taking it. Can't see why they would, but hey ya never know.

I've posted a couple of times, but not much. I've been on the road & haven't posted on FT lately, so just getting caught up. Quite frankly I'm not sure I have the time to go to 2 BBs on the same topics, and right now especially as a TB member, my priority is FT.

Currently MP looks a lot like FT I didn't make the content building meetings because I was already traveling, they're not held where I'm at, & I'm not willing to spend my $$ to travel somewhere to help someone build content, especially when they're the ones that will be making the $$ (as you pointed out). Perhaps if I'd been in town & they were held near me, that would be different, but I wasn't & they weren't. I'm sure they had plenty of people so didn't miss me.

If people have suggestions for FT, I definitely encourage them to post in TB forum and/or suggestions forum for IB. We'll certainly consider them (vBulletin software allowing of course), and that culture of no might not be as strong as you think.

FWIW - I don't think mega-threads are really under the purview of TB. But since you did raise the issue, I've noticed there are less of them in some of the forums so perhaps some folk were listening

Cheers.
Old Feb 25, 11, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending

My bold:

One of the wonderful, liberating things about MP right now is that there is no mega-threading going on.
You're just enjoying the new car smell which always fades.
Old Feb 25, 11, 11:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
I too have been over to 'the other side' and chosen a nice new name for myself.

It's clearly attracted a lot of people who have left or been suspended from FT in the past. In addition they seem to have very different ideas re:governance.

I like the look and feel of MP, and the ease of inserting pictures and video makes it a much richer feel. However FT has history and a core of loyal posters. Plus of course, Moderation is handled differently at each site.
Old Feb 26, 11, 12:10 am

Programs: US,HH
Please don't forget that there are a lot of new people over there that don't have the history and dare I say the baggage the some of the "core" of FT have.

I really don't care what happened in the past. We shall see what happens in the future. I just don't understand everyone bringing up the suspended people.

That said, what if anything is TB doing to improve FT?

What are your plans for the coming year?

What are is TB going to do to keep this travel forum fresh and exciting?
Old Feb 26, 11, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kellio33 View Post
I just don't understand everyone bringing up the suspended people.
Good point.

I can't figure it out either.
Old Feb 27, 11, 12:24 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Ex-VIP Fromins Deli Encino - 34 years grandfathered successor program status - UA Plat/HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Cholula View Post
I can't figure it out either.
Nor me. Let's not go any further on the subject of suspended members, or yearning for the "good old days".
Old Feb 27, 11, 3:34 pm

It has nothing to do with suspended people, the "good ol' days" or new car smell.

It has everything to do with culture.

FT TOS likely prohibits me from giving specific examples.

But I believe I can say that until some people at FT understand, recognize and act upon the massive difference in culture between the two sites, the pendulum will shift to MilePoint.

If and how FT adjusts is the barometer on just how fast (not if, but how fast) the pendulum will swing over to MilePoint.
Old Feb 27, 11, 6:59 pm

That's your opinion, which is fine. Others differ.

But as I stated in the Omni forum on the same topic, I think the demise of FT & the second coming of you know who re: MP is overstated.

There is room for both BB (and others) in the world. It's not an either/or nor is it one will die & the other survive.

Having said that, there are pros/cons to each BB. I have no doubt both will do fine. Just as I have no doubt both have areas to be improved. Right now MP is basically FT Lite. Will it change in the future? Sure. Can FT use some changes? Sure.

Instead of the chicken little stuff, I'd rather folks put forward what they like, what they don't like, enhancements, etc, re: their thoughts on FT & what they'd like us to consider either keeping, changing or implementing.

Cheers.
Old Feb 27, 11, 8:07 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Instead of the chicken little stuff, I'd rather folks put forward what they like, what they don't like, enhancements, etc, re: their thoughts on FT & what they'd like us to consider either keeping, changing or implementing.

Cheers.
Some improvements I would like to see:

Rotate moderators - allow "new blood" in - some folks have 3/4 forums - have more people who want to be volunteers the opportunity

Stop with the merging of the threads - archive posts that are >3 years old and alllow searching if somebody wants to - keep things fresh but make it easy for people to find things.

There are certain people who are continuously snarky and offer no information yet due to pure post count they are seen as "evangelists". Get rid of the "extra" titles. Or get rid of the threads that count for post counting like counting from 1 to 1billion.

Bring back live chats with airline/hotel people. Those were interesting - but make them live/webinar rather than the slow chat that currently exists.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: