Wiki Posts
Search

Is the TB looking at MilePoint?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:28 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
FWIW I floated some reputation-type ideas with the TalkBoard a couple years ago and I didn't get a single Like. I assumed they were right and it was a solution looking for a problem.

I'm pretty sure vbulletin can be set up to allow Like but not Dislike, but I'm not sure what value that adds by itself.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Can I ask you something seriously...
Cheers.
Here goes.

1) The biggest advantage, IMO, is that the +1 and similar can reduce, thus making the process a bit less cumbersome to the reader. Secondary advantages are that if there is some status or recognition advantage it can be a subtle influence to more civility. Anonymity is an advantage to BB but it also removes some of the social constraints that face to face encounters have. This can subtly influence that process.

2) vBulletin as advertised has the reputation management features that are often denigrated. It is written with MySQL as the base so altering the code to do this would not require a genius. The trick is the displays and visible counters, easy to do, but harder work to test for release. I do not oppose vBulletin, but as it stands it is well to understand that it is "mature", not a compliment in a fast-moving arena.

3) I don't really like the title of 'like' but some device that allows self generation of positives can act to reinforce the basic purpose of our connection here as members, to exchange information and perspective on issues we find relevant.

Slightly OT, perhaps, but describing what I think should be a limitation on such a feature:
4) I would not let such a device anywhere near ONMI. OMNI serves a valuable purpose of letting people rant about whatever they want to rant about. It should be kept clear from search engines, post counts, anything that implies approval or disapproval, including 'likes'. I would not even oppose having some more restrictive access rules to enforce that.

All the foregoing represent my own personal views. They have neither been approved nor discussed with anybody else.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:29 am
Founder of FlyerTalk

I don't remember actually being asked, so I'd like to correct something here if that is OK and this is not meant to take your conversation off topic. The facts are that all the taxes for any giveaway I've ever done were paid by me. I prefer to to make things easy on those who are engaged in any community effort, whether here or elsewhere. The actual laws for gift taxes according to the IRS is "The donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax." I've always preferred to handle these things under the gift tax method because it makes winning so much more pleasurable and easy. So, the facts are, winners of these iPads will have their taxes pre-paid by me. The single time where there was an exception was when i partnered with American Express for a promo on BoardingArea and since they actually were to supply the prize, i insisted and eventually got their agreement to cover the taxes for the winner (it was not easy for them to do the agreement since no one had ever insisted before) and as well, i made mention to the winner that i would personally be responsible for any shortcomings if the AmEx coverage left anything exposed to taxes. While I am sure that the idea of taxes is simply just a guess as to how things are generally done, I have and will continue to make life simple for my members. If this approach is not a comfortable one for the TalkBoard, then I'll leave off trying to add some interest, enrichment and reward for the members here. So sorry to interrupt but someone suggested I make a correction for the good of the situation. Thank you.

FWIW - those who do win the ipads on MP are legally required to declare them on their taxes, just as those who won the Openskies tickets & other contests that FT or Randy ran were required to do so. Whether or not they do or whether a 1099 is issued is a separate topic.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 6:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Thanks, Randy, for the clarification and your position. That helps the debate considerably. I would post a 'like' for that if I could.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the clarification. And now we return to our regularly scheduled programming...

For those who have suggestions on how to improve FT, I'd recommend they post here or in the Suggestions forum of FT. Those TB can affect we'll take into consideration/review. Those that are outside our purview we'll forward to IB & the Community Director.

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:16 am

FWIW - those who do win the ipads on MP are legally required to declare them on their taxes, just as those who won the Openskies tickets & other contests that FT or Randy ran were required to do so. Whether or not they do or whether a 1099 is issued is a separate topic.
A very US-centric view (not unusual on either FT or MP) - at least one of the iPad winners so far is from the UK, where there is no requirement to declare them on tax returns as prizes are free from all taxes.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ag51
A very US-centric view (not unusual on either FT or MP) - at least one of the iPad winners so far is from the UK, where there is no requirement to declare them on tax returns as prizes are free from all taxes.
True, but I was responding to tom911's post re: the restrictions of the TopFlyer contest, and it led to the other. You're correct - some countries don't have tax requirements on winnings.

But the purpose of this thread is for suggestions for FT, not tax 101 on winning prizes

Cheers.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
If we have like, can we have a dislike/what a waste of time/that's rubbish option as well? I do feel it's missing on MP, as you see the most unadulterated drivel with no opportunity to express anything but approval for it!
Old Mar 2, 2011, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Jenbel
If we have like, can we have a dislike/what a waste of time/that's rubbish option as well? I do feel it's missing on MP, as you see the most unadulterated drivel with no opportunity to express anything but approval for it!
Oh yes, we should. The 'rubbish' needs to have a rubbish bin icon and would be quite useful. I would have received some of those with justice and sent quite a few as well. Excellent!:-:
Old Mar 3, 2011, 8:14 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Originally Posted by ldsant
Some improvements I would like to see:

Rotate moderators - allow "new blood" in - some folks have 3/4 forums - have more people who want to be volunteers the opportunity

Stop with the merging of the threads - archive posts that are >3 years old and alllow searching if somebody wants to - keep things fresh but make it easy for people to find things.

There are certain people who are continuously snarky and offer no information yet due to pure post count they are seen as "evangelists". Get rid of the "extra" titles. Or get rid of the threads that count for post counting like counting from 1 to 1billion.

Bring back live chats with airline/hotel people. Those were interesting - but make them live/webinar rather than the slow chat that currently exists.

I LOVE ALL OF THESE IDEAS! ^^^^^^^^^^^

And as much as I like the like feature on milepoint, I don't see chasing thier trend to be the right move for FlyerTalk. FT can do what it does better without following other boards' actions.

In fact following mp would likely be a distraction to the well-needed self-assessment that FT needs to move forward.... in my opinion.
Old Mar 4, 2011, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ldsant
Some improvements I would like to see:

Rotate moderators - allow "new blood" in - some folks have 3/4 forums - have more people who want to be volunteers the opportunity

Stop with the merging of the threads - archive posts that are >3 years old and alllow searching if somebody wants to - keep things fresh but make it easy for people to find things.

There are certain people who are continuously snarky and offer no information yet due to pure post count they are seen as "evangelists". Get rid of the "extra" titles. Or get rid of the threads that count for post counting like counting from 1 to 1billion.

Bring back live chats with airline/hotel people. Those were interesting - but make them live/webinar rather than the slow chat that currently exists.
All very good points !^
Old Mar 4, 2011, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanthepilot
I LOVE ALL OF THESE IDEAS! ^^^^^^^^^^^

And as much as I like the like feature on milepoint, I don't see chasing thier trend to be the right move for FlyerTalk. FT can do what it does better without following other boards' actions.

In fact following mp would likely be a distraction to the well-needed self-assessment that FT needs to move forward.... in my opinion.
Yep, moving forward would be a great thing to do.......^
Old Mar 10, 2011, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Here goes.

1) The biggest advantage, IMO, is that the +1 and similar can reduce, thus making the process a bit less cumbersome to the reader. Secondary advantages are that if there is some status or recognition advantage it can be a subtle influence to more civility. Anonymity is an advantage to BB but it also removes some of the social constraints that face to face encounters have. This can subtly influence that process.

2) vBulletin as advertised has the reputation management features that are often denigrated. It is written with MySQL as the base so altering the code to do this would not require a genius. The trick is the displays and visible counters, easy to do, but harder work to test for release. I do not oppose vBulletin, but as it stands it is well to understand that it is "mature", not a compliment in a fast-moving arena.

3) I don't really like the title of 'like' but some device that allows self generation of positives can act to reinforce the basic purpose of our connection here as members, to exchange information and perspective on issues we find relevant.

Slightly OT, perhaps, but describing what I think should be a limitation on such a feature:
4) I would not let such a device anywhere near ONMI. OMNI serves a valuable purpose of letting people rant about whatever they want to rant about. It should be kept clear from search engines, post counts, anything that implies approval or disapproval, including 'likes'. I would not even oppose having some more restrictive access rules to enforce that.

All the foregoing represent my own personal views. They have neither been approved nor discussed with anybody else.
Good points. I've seen other sites successfully use this feature with a term like "kudos" or "thanks." I agree that having a "dislike" or "vote down" feature is not a good idea; I wasn't an active participant on FT when it was implemented, but I've heard the horror stories and can definitely see how damage would occur. (That said, FT seemed to be a much smaller place back then, so a small number of trolls could more easily exert negative influence--just a thought/observation.)

Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
I don't remember actually being asked, so I'd like to correct something here if that is OK and this is not meant to take your conversation off topic. The facts are that all the taxes for any giveaway I've ever done were paid by me. I prefer to to make things easy on those who are engaged in any community effort, whether here or elsewhere. The actual laws for gift taxes according to the IRS is "The donor is generally responsible for paying the gift tax." I've always preferred to handle these things under the gift tax method because it makes winning so much more pleasurable and easy. So, the facts are, winners of these iPads will have their taxes pre-paid by me. The single time where there was an exception was when i partnered with American Express for a promo on BoardingArea and since they actually were to supply the prize, i insisted and eventually got their agreement to cover the taxes for the winner (it was not easy for them to do the agreement since no one had ever insisted before) and as well, i made mention to the winner that i would personally be responsible for any shortcomings if the AmEx coverage left anything exposed to taxes. While I am sure that the idea of taxes is simply just a guess as to how things are generally done, I have and will continue to make life simple for my members. If this approach is not a comfortable one for the TalkBoard, then I'll leave off trying to add some interest, enrichment and reward for the members here. So sorry to interrupt but someone suggested I make a correction for the good of the situation. Thank you.
^^ What a class act this man is.

As for my thoughts: Am I worried? No. Competition is a good thing; it edges us out of our comfort zones and forces us to take a look at consumer preferences. Jumping in with both feet and following MP with a new software package and the ability to "like" is not the answer. What is by far the better course is analyzing FTers' activity levels here, comments from our members, and careful analysis of features of both communities and ensuring we're meeting our members' wants and needs.

I wonder if the TalkBoard can request forum and membership statistics on a regular basis (quarterly? monthly?) from IB/Carol for the purpose of analyzing our activity levels and the growth of FT. And as always, constructive posts or PMs from members here on FT with ideas for improvement are welcome. My PM box is always open, and I try to hit TalkBoard Topics regularly; if I'm short on time, I don't always respond, but I do read everything posted here.
Old Mar 10, 2011, 12:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jackal
I wonder if the TalkBoard can request forum and membership statistics on a regular basis (quarterly? monthly?) from IB/Carol for the purpose of analyzing our activity levels and the growth of FT.
Depending on the depth of information you want, I'd be worried that it might include a non-disclosure statement, and as you are volunteers not sure I'd want you crossing that road. For instance, the disclosure of "active" members versus "inactive" members might be something that they might not want shared (if I owned the place I wouldn't share it with you).
Old Mar 11, 2011, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by tom911
Depending on the depth of information you want, I'd be worried that it might include a non-disclosure statement, and as you are volunteers not sure I'd want you crossing that road. For instance, the disclosure of "active" members versus "inactive" members might be something that they might not want shared (if I owned the place I wouldn't share it with you).
It's been shared in coarse-grained numbers before; long before I was ever a moderator or TalkBoard member, I heard that FT had approximately 250,000 members, 25,000 of whom were active. 10% seems to be a pretty average figure in the IBB community.

Now, those numbers are years (3+) out of date and may not have even been accurate to start with--not knowing, I can't comment on their validity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.