Search

TB "Votes at a Glance": 2010-2006

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
TB "Votes at a Glance": 2010-2006

As folk who frequent this forum know, there is a TB vote ongoing right now re: Abstentions Don't Count Against Passage Motions - aka, Abstentions don't count as a No vote.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...e-motions.html

The topic, both in the pubic & private TB forums, has garnered a lot of debate & agreement, as well as disagreement. Let's just say it's not a slam dunk in either direction in terms of arguments being made, at least in my opinion.

Because of that, and because I'm the newbie member to TB, and Gawd help me I'm trying to take my responsibilities seriously and vote what I think is right, after viewing the pro/con arguments & taking into consideration my own thoughts, others, and others also includes 'regular' FT members who may or may not post in TB, and because there's concern about what the effect will have on voting (ie, doomsday or a walk in the park - pick your side) - and because I'm not good at Stats & hate math & I've had to re-read all the threads about a gazillion times (I really do have a headache from it all), I thought I'd do a bit of research on past votes to see if it would make a difference. Yes I do realize that was one long disjointed sentence, and I apologize!!

From what I can tell, I don't think the doomsday that some are thinking would occur if the vote passed would actually occur. Nor, given how many votes in total there have been, do I think too many things went off the rails in the past. No black helicopters here IMO.

So - for your viewing - and I hope quantifiable - pleasure, here are the votes from 2010 (to date - not including this one under debate or Brazil) back until the beginning of 2006. Yes there are votes going back much farther (much further!), but I derived the information I'm posting from the Town Hall - Talkboard Official Voting Decisions which is at the top of this forum & to which everyone has access, and that goes back to the beginning of '06. After that you have to scroll through all the threads in this forum. The TB decisions stickey is publicly available; all votes get posted. But you'd have to do what I did to get a feeling for stuff, so I'm trying to save you the trouble (feel free to buy me a drink or give me Excedrin later; a lot of both quite frankly!).

Early 2006 on to today final votes were listed by handle from what I can tell. Prior to that one would have to sift through a # of the threads to figure it out, although some were listed. Folks, I spent HOURS just putting this together. I had no idea when I started that literally 6 hours later I'd still be at it. So forgive me if I don't go back further. But truly I think you'll get a handle or appreciation on the issue at hand from the 2010-2006 posts. Or I hope you do. If you don't, trust me after 6 hours I'm not in the mood to hear any quibbles & I'm tired, so any arrows at me will not be appreciated by moi.

I've been told by both 'regular' FT members as well as TB folk that I'm taking this too seriously, and maybe I am, but you know us newbies. We do try to take our positions seriously & do our research & do the best we can on our votes (or at least I do). I will state right now sometimes I'll get it right & sometimes I'll get it wrong in the next 2 years, but I will always give it my best shot. And FWIW - even some of the 'regular' FT folk said they got headaches reading the threads & trying to figure it all out, so I figure I'm not alone & I'm in good company LOL.

Now a couple of things. This thread is to show votes & for folk to try & figure out if the new proposal/motion would really impact stuff based on votes to date.

It is NOT, I repeat NOT, put out there for you to bash particular TB members, whether past or present, nor is it there for you to say, why did they vote that way; it should be different, and start a debate on stuff already voted on. If you want to do that, then start your own gosh darn threads.

If anything, I thought it really interesting to watch the evolution of FT via the votes & issues & hope you will as well!

I still have not decided which way I'm voting on the abstention issue, although I am leaning more in one direction than the other at this point. But - I put a lot of PMs out there to some of the regular FT members & want to include their input (I gave them a timeline to get back to me) in my consideration. I will, however, vote by tomorrow evening - because I really haven't figured out when the vote ends on 1/1/11 & it would be totally embarrassing to have a not voted as my first vote!

To make it easier for you all, I'm going to do subsequent posts in this thread year by year.

Housekeeping: I included the Prez & VP votes, but those are anonymous votes so no handles listed. All other actual motions are listed by handle & how they voted. The votes are accurate. Some might say for/against or yes/no; any formatting issues are mine & mine alone. I figured most FTers could figure out for = yes, etc.

Also I considered doing a spreadsheet or quick glance at how everyone voted over each year, but 6 hours is my limit on putting time into this. Do your own math or spreadsheet or summary per year per TB member if you want to see how they voted in a 'quick snapshot'. I'd appreciate it since I don't have the time. Feel free to post it in this thread, but if you post one person's snapshot for a year I think it only fair to post all of the TB's snapshots for the year. All for one & one for all, etc.

The other thing I have to say is that I totally respect all past & current TB members who gave/are giving of their time, thought, consideration, to help make FT a better BB.

Cheers. Sharon

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 30, 2010 at 9:03 pm
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

2010 Votes to Date

12/31/10: Motion failed: Abstentions Don't Count Against Passage of Motions
Voting Yes: Cholula, jackal, Markie, SkiAdcock
Voting No: B747-437B, bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Spiff

12/31/10: Motion passed: Brazil Forum
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, jackal, lucky9876coins, Markie, SkiAdcock, Spiff
Abstaining: B747-437B

12/4/10: gleff re-elected TalkBoard President for 2010-2011
gleff was re-elected TalkBoard President by a 6-2-1 margin over jackal and Markie, respectively.

12/4/10: Spiff elected TalkBoard Vice-President/Secretary for 2010-2011
Spiff was elected TalkBoard Vice-President/Secretary by a 5-4 margin over lucky9876coins

Note: Per the TalkBoard Guidelines, a motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote vote ‘yes.’

11/27/10: Vote Passed: Rename Flying Blue Forum (Vote #2)
Yes: bhatnasx, jackal, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Spiff
Abstain: B747-437B, gleff
Not Voting: skywalkerLAX

11/15/10: Vote Failed: Amend name of Flying Blue Forum
Yes: jackal, Markie, nsx, skywalkerLAX
No: B747-437B
Abstain: bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Spiff

7/12/10: Vote Failed: Access Restriction for Mileage Run Discussion forum
Yes: Markie, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff
No: bhatnasx, gleff, jackal, lucky9876coins
Abstain: B747-437B

7/9/10: Vote Passed: Rescind Recent Vote Restricting Access to "Mileage Run" Forum
Yes: B747-437B, bhatnasx, gleff, jackal, lucky9876coins, nsx, Spiff
No: skywalkerLAX
Abstain: Markie

7/1/10: Vote Passed: Combine Frontier and Midwest Forums
Yes: B747-437B, bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff
No: Markie

7/1/10: Vote Passed: Removal of Radioman from TalkBoard
Yes: 8 TB members
Did not vote: 1 TB member

6/29/10: Motion Passed: TalkBoard Statement on Criteria for Forum Changes
Yes: bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Radioman, Spiff
Not Voting: Radioman

6/25/10: Motion Passed: Mileage Run Access for Logged-in Members as Only Restriction
Yes: B747-437B, bhatnasx, Markie, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff
No: gleff, lucky9876coins

6/7/10: Motion Passed: Sense of TalkBoard on Mileage Run forum content access restrictions
Yes: bhatnasx, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Radioman, Spiff
No: B747-437B, gleff
Not voting: skywalkerLAX

6/3/10: Motion Passed: Ambassador Program Test - Flame-free thread
Yes: B747-437B, bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Radioman, skywalkerLAX, Spiff

5/18/10: Motion Passed: Amend TalkBoard Guidelines - Technical Corrections
Yes: B747-437B, bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff

3/11/10: Motion Passed: Change Name of WestJet Forum
Yes: B747-437B, bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Radioman, skywalkerLAX, Spiff

2/25/10: Motion Passed: Move LatinPass/GlobalPass to Discontinued Programs
Yes: bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Radioman, skywalkerLAX, Spiff

2/2/10: Motion Passed: Create Accor A-Club Forum

1/19/10: Motion Passed: Support for Haitian Relief

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 2, 2011 at 6:21 pm
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

2009 Votes

12/19/09: lucky9876coins elected TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary
lucky9876coins was elected TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary in the runoff election by a 5-4 margin over Spiff

12/19/09: gleff re-elected TalkBoard President
gleff was re-elected TalkBoard President by an 8-0-1 margin

10/26/09: Motion Adopted: Rename 'Latin/Central America' 'Central America'
Yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff

10/1/09: Motion Adopted: Close Itineraries: Details
Yes : bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff

9/15/09: Motion Failed: Create a LAN forum
Yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, kokonutz, skywalkerLAX
No: gleff, lucky9876coins, Markie, nsx, Spiff

5/15/09: Motion Adopted: Should a Fairmont Presidents Club Forum Be Created?
Yes: berlinflyer, bhatnasx, Cholula, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff
No: gleff

4/11/09: Motion Adopted: Future Merger of DL/NW Forums
Yes: berlinflyer, bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, nsx, Spiff
No: skywalkerLAX

3/9/09: Motion Adopted: to allow embedded images in many forums
Yes: Cholula, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff
No: berlinflyer, bhatnasx, gleff

2/11/09: Motion failed: allow static images in all FT forums except OMNIs
Yes: berlinflyer, Cholula, nsx, skywalkerLAX
No: bhatnasx, gleff, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Spiff

2/11/09: Motion Adopted: to close the Senior Travel forum
Yes: berlinflyer, bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff
No: Cholula, kokonutz

1/8/09: Motion Adopted: to recommend the creation of a European Rail forum
Yes: berlinflyer, bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, nsx, skywalkerLAX, Spiff
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

2008 Votes

12/17/08: kokonutz elected TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary kokonutz was elected TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary by a 6-3 margin over Spiff

12/06/08: gleff re-elected TalkBoard President
gleff was re-elected TalkBoard President by a 6-3 margin over nsx

11/04/08: Motion Passed: New TalkBoard Guidelines
Yes: bhatnasx, gleff, Jenbel, Spiff, techgirl, Cholula, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki

10/09/08: Motion failed: New TalkBoard Guidelines
Voting Yes: bhatnasx, gleff, Jenbel, Spiff, techgirl
Voting No: Cholula, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki

10/06/08: Motion Failed: Travel Health & Fitness forum
Voting yes: bhatnasx, gleff, kokonutz, Spiff, techgirl
Voting no: Cholula, Jenbel, lucky9876coins
Did not vote: Punki

09/29/08: Motion Failed: Restrict access to Mileage Run Deals to logged-in members
Voting yes: Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, techgirl
Voting no: bhatnasx, gleff, Spiff
Did not vote: Punki

Please note that a simple majority is required for FlyerTalk Cares motions to pass

08/27/08: Motion failed: Eliminate FlyertalkCares: Our Member Efforts
Voting no: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, Spiff, techgirl
Abstaining: kokonutz
Did not vote: lucky9876coins, Punki

08/27/08: Motion failed: Rescind all previous FT Cares approvals
Voting no: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, Spiff, techgirl
Abstaining: kokonutz
Did not vote: lucky9876coins, Punki

08/26/08: Motion Passed: Rescind Mission to the World Charity Approval
Voting yes: bhatnasx, gleff, Jenbel, lucky9876coins, Spiff
Abstaining: Cholula, kokonutz, Punki, techgirl

08/08/08: Motion Passed: Charity request - Mission to the World
Voting yes: Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl
Voting no: bhatnasx

07/30/08: Motion Passed: Charitable Request - Dreamflight
Yes: Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl, bhatsnax

07/04/08: Motion Passed: Gaming Loyalty Program forum
Voting for: bhatnasx, Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl
Voting no: gleff

06/30/08: Motion Passed: Charity Request - Kiva
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff
Abstaining: techgirl

06/08/08: Motion Failed: Flyertalk Ambassador Proposal
Voting yes: kokonutz, Punki
Voting no: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, lucky9876coins, Spiff, techgirl

05/31/08: Motion Passed: Permit Test of Photos in 4 Forums
Yes: kokonutz, Punki, bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, lucky9876coins, Spiff, techgirl

05/18/08: Motion Failed: Close Religious Travelers Forum
Voting no: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl
Did not vote: kokonutz, Jenbel

05/13/08: Motion Passed: Rename TripRewards to Wyndham Rewards (formerly TripRewards)
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl, kokonutz, Jenbel

05/07/08: Motion Passed: Remove Flyertalk Reviews
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl, kokonutz, Jenbel

05/06/08: Motion Passed: Publish TalkBoardDO Meeting Summary

05/05/08: Motion Failed: Publish TalkBoardDO Agenda
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki
Voting no: gleff, Spiff, techgirl
Abstaining: Cholula

05/05/08: Motion Passed: Travel with Pets
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl

04/30/08: Motion Passed: Seniors Travel Forum
Voting yes:Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl
Voting no:bhatnasx, gleff

04/27/08: Motion Passed: Charity - Medicin Sans Frontieres
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff
Abstaining: gleff
Did not vote: techgirl

04/27/08: Motion Passed: Pan-Mass Challenge Charity
Yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, gleff, techgirl

04/23/08: Motion Passed: FlyertalkCares Guidelines
Yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, gleff, techgirl

04/09/08: Motion Passed: Charity - Race for Life

04/09/08: Motion Passed: Make Hotel Deals a Standalone Forum Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl

04/06/08: Motion Passed: Qatar Airways Forum
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl
Voting no: Jenbel

04/01/08: Motion Passed - Virgin America Forum

03/27/08: Motion Passed - Turkish Airlines Forum

03/04/08: Motion Passed - FlyerTalk Cares: Inveneo
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Spiff
Voting no: gleff, Jenbel, Punki, techgirl

02/29/08: Motion Failed: Include OMNI posts in Post Counts
Voting yes: gleff, kokonutz, Punki
Voting no: bhatnasx, Cholula, Jenbel, lucky9876coins, Spiff, techgirl

02/25/08: Motion Passed: FlyerTalk Cares, Susan G Komen

02/17/08: Motion Passed: FlyertalkCares - American Cancer Society
Voting yes: Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff
Abstaining: bhatnasx, techgirl

01/29/08: Motion Passed: Choice Privileges Forum
Voting yes: Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, techgirl

01/18/08: Motion Passed: Travel Photography Forum

01/18/08: Motion Passed: Travel Products Forum
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Jenbel, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, Spiff, techgirl

01/12/08: Motion Passed: Approve Irish Sri Lankan Orphanage Fund

01/11/08: Motion Falied: Virgin America eleVAte Forum
Voting yes: Cholula, kokonutz, lucky9876coins, Punki, techgirl
Abstaining: Jenbel

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 31, 2010 at 8:48 am Reason: just some format clean-up
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

2007 Votes

12/27/07: Spiff Re-elected TalkBoard Vice President
the TalkBoard reelected Spiff as TalkBoard Vice President for the 2007-2008 term over lucky9876coins by a 5-4 margin

12/18/07: gleff re-elected TalkBoard President 2007-2008
TalkBoard reelected gleff as TalkBoard President for the 2007-2008 term over Punki by a 6-2 margin.

12/03/07: Motion Failed: Virgin America Forum
Voting yes: Cholula, Jenbel, ScottC, techgirl
Voting no: bhatnasx, gleff, ozstamps, Spiff
Did not vote: Dovster

11/25/07: Motion Passed: Change Wyndham forum to TripRewards Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, Jenbel, ozstamps, ScottC
Voting no: gleff, Spiff, techgirl

11/25/07: Motion Failed: Consolidate GlobalPass into Other North/South American
Voting yes: Dovster, Jenbel, ozstamps, Spiff
Voting no: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, ScottC, techgirl

11/16/07: Motion Passed: Indian-based airlines forum
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, Jenbel, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl

11/06/07 Motion Passed: Change Travel Bidding to Online Travel Booking & Bidding Agencies
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl
Voting no: gleff, ozstamps

9/11/07: Motion Passed: FlyertalkCares: Approve Russ21Atl's AIDS Walk
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl, gleff, ozstamps

8/27/07: Motion Passed: Merge Varig into Other N/S America
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl, gleff, ozstamps

8/22/07: Motion Passed: Table SPAM forum discussion

8/14/07: Motion Passed: FlyerTalk Cares
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl
Voting no: Dovster
Abstaining: ozstamps

8/14/07: Motion Failed: Emergencies Forum
Voting yes: Cholula, Dovster, ozstamps
Voting no: bhatnasx, gleff, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl

8/01/07: Motion Passed: Combine London and UK/Ireland forum
Voting Yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl
Voting No: ozstamps
Abstaining: Dovster

7/15/07: Motion Passed: Create Finnair Forum
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, Jenbel, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl

7/1/07: Motion Passed: Reorganize Travelestinations:The World
Voting yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, gleff, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl
Voting no: ozstamps

6/18/07: Motion Passed: Change name of Paris forum to include all of France

6/18/07: Motion Passed: Create Italy Forum

6/18/07: Motion Passed: Create Alitalia Forum

5/22/07: Motion Failed: modify disability forum description
Voting Yes: bhatnasx, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl
Voting No: Cholula, Dovster, gleff, ozstamps

5/17/07: Motion Failed: Change Description of Disability Forum to include alcoholism and addic
Voting Yes: Cholula, Dovster, Jenbel, ScottC, techgirl
Voting No: bhatnasx, gleff, Spiff

4/21/07: Motion Passed: Travel Photography Forum

4/18/07: Motion Failed: Don't Count OMNI Posts In Member Post Counts
Voting for: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, ozstamps, techgirl
Voting against: gleff, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff

4/09/07 Motion Passed: Restructure LH Forum to Include Swiss
Yes: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, ozstamps, techgirl, gleff, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff

3/03/07: Vote: Restructure Mileage Run Forum

2/13/07: Motion Passed: Public Posting of TB Motions

1/28/07: Motion Passed: Germany Forum
Voting for: bhatnasx, Cholula, Dovster, gleff, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl
Voting against: Jenbel

1/28/07: Motion Failed: Motions to be posted for TB member debate in TB Topics Forum
Voting for: Dovster, Jenbel, Spiff, techgirl
Voting against: bhatnasx, Cholula, gleff, ScottC

1/06/07: Motion Passed: New Sticky for TalkBoard Issues Forum
Did not vote: gleff

1/06/07: Motion Failed:Unique Interests Forum to Replace Religious and Disability Travel Forum
Voting for: Cholula, Dovster, ozstamps
Voting against: bhatnasx, gleff, Jenbel, ScottC, Spiff, techgirl

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 31, 2010 at 8:50 am Reason: just some format clean-up
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

2006 Votes

12/23/06: Motion passed - Spiff re-elected TalkBoard Vice-President TalkBoard reelected Spiff as Talkboard Vice-President. Vote was 7-1 in favor with 1 abstention

12/20/06: Motion Passed: FT Admin Have Discretion to Make Technical Changes in Member Handles

12/11/06: Motion Passed - gleff Reelected TalkBoard President TalkBoard unanimously reelected gleff Talkboard president

11/03/06: Motion Passed: Create a Thailand Sub-forum
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey, gleff

10/17/06: Motion Passed: create a separate Korean Air forum
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

10/17/06: Motion Passed: creation of an Argentina sub-forum
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey, gleff

10/03/06: Motion Failed: Creation of a Mens Travel Forum
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, ozstamps, wharvey
Voting no: gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff

9/29/06: Motion Passed: No Members Registering after Sept. 9th Eligible to Vote in TB Election
Voting for: attorney28, Cholula, ozstamps
Voting against: wharvey
Abstaining: gleff, missydarlin, ScottC
Did not vote: Spiff, doc

09/06/06: Motion Passed: Recommendations for TB Election
Voting yes: Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff
Voting no: wharvey
Abstaining: attorney28, doc
Not voting: ozstamps

8/22/06: Motion Passed: Charitable Solicitations Must Be Approved By Randy

8/21/06: Motion Failed: Create Government Traveler Forum
Voting for: Cholula, ScottC, Spiff
Voting against: gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, wharvey
Abstaining: attorney28, doc

8/21/06: Motion Passed: Close down (merge) Alamo forum
Voting for: attorney28, Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC
Voting against: Spiff, wharvey

8/16/06: Motion Failed: Travel with Pets Forum
Voting for: attorney28, Cholula, ScottC, Spiff
Voting against: doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, wharvey

8/13/06: Motion Failed: Rail Travel Category with new rail forums
Voting for: attorney28, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Voting against: Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps

8/11/06: Motion Passed: Special Interest Travel Category
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

8/06/06: Motion Passed: reorder (and edit some names in) Travel & Dining: the World forums
Voting yes: Cholula, gleff, ScottC, Spiff
Voting no: attorney28, wharvey
Abstaining: doc, missydarlin, ozstamps

On 7 August 2006, the TalkBoard passed the following motion by a 4-2-3 vote. Please note that only yea or nay votes are counted in the vote tally when considering the 2/3 majority required for a vote to pass

7/18/06: Motion Passed: Create an Asiana Forum
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, missydarlin, ozstamps
Did not vote: doc, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

6/28/06: Motion passed: Create a China Forum
Yes: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Not voting: doc

6/26/06: Motion passed: Combine USAirways and America West forums
Yes: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

5/30/06: Motion failed: Don't Count OMNI Posts towards Post Count Going Forward
Yes: ozstamps, ScottC
No: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, Spiff, wharvey

5/30/06: Motion failed: table discussion on post counts
Yes: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, Spiff
No: missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, wharvey

5/30/06: Motion failed: remove post counts
Yes: wharvey
No: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff

5/24/06: Motion failed: Create an Alitalia forum
Yes: attorney28, Cholula, ozstamps
No: gleff, missydarlin, Spiff, wharvey
Abstain: ScottC

5/06/06: Vote Passed: Discontinue Phone Programs/Partners forum
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Did not vote: doc

5/06/06: Vote passed: Create an El Al forum
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

4/03/06: Vote passed: Table the motion to create a Spirit Air forum
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff

3/09/06: New TalkBoard Vice President
attorney28 submitted his resignation as TalkBoard Vice President citing increased professional responsibilities keeping him from devoting as much time as he'd like. The TalkBoard has unanimously named Spiff as its new Vice President

3/08/06: Motion passed: Close Flyertalk Reviews
Yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

3/08/06: Motion passed: change name of Hawaii airlines forum
Yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

2/23/06: Motion rejected: Open Private Talkboard Forum for All Members in Read-Only Format
Yes: attorney28, doc, ozstamps
No: Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

2/21/06: Motion passed: Change Grace Period for Editing Posts from 2 Minutes to 5 Minutes
Yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps
No: ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

2/10/06: Motion passed: Name Changes
Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff

One additional note for the record: attorney28 reported the final vote on this issue above. It was the second vote.

The original motion -- moved by ozstamps and seconded by missydarlin -- failed.
5 voted in favor: doc, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff
3 were opposed: Cholula, gleff, wharvey
1 did not vote: attorney28

While a majority of TB members supported the motion, it did not garner the required 2/3rds support for a motion to pass.

1/30/06: Motion rejected: Secret Ballot and Nondisclosure for Votes for/against TalkBoard mbrs
Voting for: cholula, gleff
Voting against: Dovster, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Abstention: ozstamps, attorney28

1/30/06: Motion passed: Approve Updated Flyertalk Guidelines and Rules as Presented
Votes for: Cholula, Dovster, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Abstention: attorney28
Did not vote: ozstamps

1/30/06: Motion passed: Forbid TalkBoard members from changing their votes once cast
Votes in favor: attorney28, Cholula, Dovster, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps,ScottC, Spiff, wharvey

1/20/06: Motion passed: Recommend against a singles forum
Voting yes: Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, wharvey
Voting no: Spiff, attorney28
Abstention: ozstamps

1/20/06: Motion passed: Move FlyI iClub forum to Discontinued Programs
Votes in favor: Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Not voting: attorney28, ozstamps

1/19/06: Motion rejected: Create a separate Mattress Run forum
Voting for: doc, ozstamps
Voting against: Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Not voting: attorney28

1/19/06: Motion passed: Hotel Deals Subforum
Votes in favor: Cholula, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Votes against: ozstamps
Not voting: attorney28, doc

1/19/06: Motion passed: Reorganize Featured Destinations and Rename Tokyo to Japan
Votes in favor: Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, wharvey
Not voting: ozstamps, attorney28, Spiff

1/19/06: Motion passed: Create Washington DC travel forum
Votes in favor: Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ScottC, Spiff, wharvey
Votes against: None
Abstain: ozstamps
Not voting: attorney28

1/19/06: Motion passed: Name conflicts
Votes in favor: attorney28, Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, Spiff, wharvey
Not voting: ScottC

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Dec 31, 2010 at 8:58 am Reason: some format clean up...
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

BTW - apologies. I probably should have done the motions underlined rather than bold cuz they jump out at you in bold, but there's too many of them for me to go back & change them. At least tonight anyway. I'm too tired.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:37 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
As folk who frequent this forum know, there is a TB vote ongoing right now re: Abstentions Don't Count Against Passage Motions - aka, Abstentions don't count as a No vote.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...e-motions.html

The topic, both in the pubic & private TB forums, has garnered a lot of debate & agreement, as well as disagreement. Let's just say it's not a slam dunk in either direction in terms of arguments being made, at least in my opinion.

Because of that, and because I'm the newbie member to TB, and Gawd help me I'm trying to take my responsibilities seriously and vote what I think is right, after viewing the pro/con arguments & taking into consideration my own thoughts, others, and others also includes 'regular' FT members who may or may not post in TB, and because there's concern about what the effect will have on voting (ie, doomsday or a walk in the park - pick your side) - and because I'm not good at Stats & hate math & I've had to re-read all the threads about a gazillion times (I really do have a headache from it all), I thought I'd do a bit of research on past votes to see if it would make a difference. Yes I do realize that was one long disjointed sentence, and I apologize!!

From what I can tell, I don't think the doomsday that some are thinking would occur if the vote passed would actually occur. Nor, given how many votes in total there have been, do I think too many things went off the rails in the past. No black helicopters here IMO.

So - for your viewing - and I hope quantifiable - pleasure, here are the votes from 2010 (to date - not including this one under debate or Brazil) back until the beginning of 2006. Yes there are votes going back much farther (much further!), but I derived the information I'm posting from the Town Hall - Talkboard Official Voting Decisions which is at the top of this forum & to which everyone has access, and that goes back to the beginning of '06. After that you have to scroll through all the threads in this forum. The TB decisions stickey is publicly available; all votes get posted. But you'd have to do what I did to get a feeling for stuff, so I'm trying to save you the trouble (feel free to buy me a drink or give me Excedrin later; a lot of both quite frankly!).

Early 2006 on to today final votes were listed by handle from what I can tell. Prior to that one would have to sift through a # of the threads to figure it out, although some were listed. Folks, I spent HOURS just putting this together. I had no idea when I started that literally 6 hours later I'd still be at it. So forgive me if I don't go back further. But truly I think you'll get a handle or appreciation on the issue at hand from the 2010-2006 posts. Or I hope you do. If you don't, trust me after 6 hours I'm not in the mood to hear any quibbles & I'm tired, so any arrows at me will not be appreciated by moi.

I've been told by both 'regular' FT members as well as TB folk that I'm taking this too seriously, and maybe I am, but you know us newbies. We do try to take our positions seriously & do our research & do the best we can on our votes (or at least I do). I will state right now sometimes I'll get it right & sometimes I'll get it wrong in the next 2 years, but I will always give it my best shot. And FWIW - even some of the 'regular' FT folk said they got headaches reading the threads & trying to figure it all out, so I figure I'm not alone & I'm in good company LOL.

Now a couple of things. This thread is to show votes & for folk to try & figure out if the new proposal/motion would really impact stuff based on votes to date.

It is NOT, I repeat NOT, put out there for you to bash particular TB members, whether past or present, nor is it there for you to say, why did they vote that way; it should be different, and start a debate on stuff already voted on. If you want to do that, then start your own gosh darn threads.

If anything, I thought it really interesting to watch the evolution of FT via the votes & issues & hope you will as well!

I still have not decided which way I'm voting on the abstention issue, although I am leaning more in one direction than the other at this point. But - I put a lot of PMs out there to some of the regular FT members & want to include their input (I gave them a timeline to get back to me) in my consideration. I will, however, vote by tomorrow evening - because I really haven't figured out when the vote ends on 1/1/11 & it would be totally embarrassing to have a not voted as my first vote!

To make it easier for you all, I'm going to do subsequent posts in this thread year by year.

Housekeeping: I included the Prez & VP votes, but those are anonymous votes so no handles listed. All other actual motions are listed by handle & how they voted. The votes are accurate. Some might say for/against or yes/no; any formatting issues are mine & mine alone. I figured most FTers could figure out for = yes, etc.

Also I considered doing a spreadsheet or quick glance at how everyone voted over each year, but 6 hours is my limit on putting time into this. Do your own math or spreadsheet or summary per year per TB member if you want to see how they voted in a 'quick snapshot'. I'd appreciate it since I don't have the time. Feel free to post it in this thread, but if you post one person's snapshot for a year I think it only fair to post all of the TB's snapshots for the year. All for one & one for all, etc.

The other thing I have to say is that I totally respect all past & current TB members who gave/are giving of their time, thought, consideration, to help make FT a better BB.

Cheers. Sharon
Thanks, Sharon.
I most enlightening thread and I appreciate your time and effort.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 12:10 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Sharon, you obviously put a lot of effort into this matter but IMHO the effort was wasted because the motion is a meaningless one.

Keep in mind that it will only impact motions where 5 vote "yes", and two or less vote "no".

In the three years that you listed this only happened twice and one of these was for one of the silliest motions ever made ("Motion passed: Recommend against a singles forum".) Never before or after was there a motion to recommend against a forum. If TB doesn't want a forum it simply doesn't vote to establish it.

On the other hand, when a 2/3rds majority of those who voted "yes" or "no" was in effect, three motions did pass that would not either today or under the proposed measure.

The Asiana Forum was established by a 4-1 margin (with 4 abstaining).

Travel and Dining was re-ordered by a 4-2 margin (with 3 abstaining).

A cut off date of Sept 9 for registration of new members who could vote in the TalkBoard elections passed 3-1 with 3 abstaining and 2 not voting.

The motion that TalkBoard should be passing is one returning the situation where a motion is approved if 2/3rds of those voting "yes" or "no" vote in favor.

We had this for several years. It resulted in the passing of the three motions I mentioned above. The foundations of FlyerTalk did not crumble, it had no impact on global warming, nor, as far as I can tell, did any wars break out because of it.

Why (other than "I just don't like to see forums established") would anyone oppose this?

Last edited by Dovster; Dec 31, 2010 at 1:34 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:33 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
Sharon, you obviously but a lot of effort into this matter but IMHO the effort was wasted because the motion is a meaningless one.
I disagree as the effort can serve other purposes. In fact, it was most helpful in seeing which TB members are progressing FT and which are in favor of keeping the status quo. Would have been nice to have before the elections to decide if the incumbents were worth voting for.

Maybe it does not help for this motion, but I find it nice to have all the results in one place for future reference. I give a tip of the hat to Sharon^!

Last edited by livious; Dec 31, 2010 at 1:40 am
Old Dec 31, 2010, 5:13 am

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
but IMHO the effort was wasted because the motion is a meaningless one.
I think the fact you immediately start using the data Sharon collated to show that the motion is meaningless shows that the effort was not at all wasted. If she hadn't spent her time doing that - and massive kudos to her for doing so! - then you couldn't be quoting exact numbers at her. That's not a wasted effort on her part - you are taking her data to show why you think the motion is meaningless.

What she has shown is that there are only a very small handful of occasions where votes will be impacted.. set against the ability for people to abstain and not have to nail their colours to the mast to stop a vote. The risk associated with the proposal is slight, and the benefits - to the membership - much greater. This really is a no-brainer for me.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Sharon, thNks for your work in compiling this. It goes to show that, in my perspective, at least, a couple of votes can color my overall perspective of an issue.

I do question the accuracy of some of the vote records though - I'm shown as abstaining in a couple places where I know I merely missed a vote. The only issue I remember specifically abstaining on was Mission to the World and that was due to two factors - my personal religious beliefs and the fact that I received several threats from members of the FT community if I didn't vote a specific way. I've never been quite as comfortable on FT after some of the hateful emails I received after that issue.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Lot of work - thanks Sharon.

This one shows what can occur on a 5/2 vote - something I put forward failed on a 5/2 vote. And needed to be done again. Where it sailed through. So it is not "hypothetical" only as some as claiming.

==============

2/10/06: Motion passed: Name Changes Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff
One additional note for the record: attorney28 reported the final vote on this issue above. It was the second vote. The original motion -- moved by ozstamps and seconded by missydarlin -- failed.
While a majority of TB members supported the motion, it did not garner the required 2/3rds support for a motion to pass.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by ozstamps
Lot of work - thanks Sharon.

This one shows what can occur on a 5/2 vote - something I put forward failed on a 5/2 vote. And needed to be done again. Where it sailed through. So it is not "hypothetical" only as some as claiming.

==============

2/10/06: Motion passed: Name Changes Voting yes: attorney28, Cholula, doc, gleff, missydarlin, ozstamps, ScottC, Spiff
One additional note for the record: attorney28 reported the final vote on this issue above. It was the second vote. The original motion -- moved by ozstamps and seconded by missydarlin -- failed.
Sorry, Oz, but the motion you cited failed the first time on a 5-3 vote, with one not voting, and nothing in the proposed measure would change that.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

So - for your viewing - and I hope quantifiable - pleasure, here are the votes from 2010 (to date - not including this one under debate or Brazil) back until the beginning of 2006. The TB decisions stickey is publicly available; all votes get posted. But you'd have to do what I did to get a feeling for stuff, so I'm trying to save you the trouble (feel free to buy me a drink or give me Excedrin later; a lot of both quite frankly!).

Cheers. Sharon
* Just repeating or agreeing w/ myself on the points above

Originally Posted by the_horvaths
I disagree as the effort can serve other purposes....I find it nice to have all the results in one place for future reference. I give a tip of the hat to Sharon^!
* I do think it's easier when they're all in one spot. I do want to re-iterate though that all the decisions are accessible by anyone in the decisions thread. This is not meant to usurp that.

Originally Posted by Jenbel

What she has shown is that there are only a very small handful of occasions where votes will be impacted.. set against the ability for people to abstain and not have to nail their colours to the mast to stop a vote. The risk associated with the proposal is slight, and the benefits - to the membership - much greater.
* I agree that there will be few times when votes will be impacted if the motion passes. I would like to say again though that I think abstaining is valid if there's a conflict of interest or if someone hasn't had time to do their due diligence due to travel or real world work & thus can't make an informed decision. I do not think it is valid when one uses it as a way to vote no without actually voting no.

Originally Posted by techgirl
Sharon, thNks for your work in compiling this.
I do question the accuracy of some of the vote records though - I'm shown as abstaining in a couple places where I know I merely missed a vote. The only issue I remember specifically abstaining on was Mission to the World and that was due to two factors - my personal religious beliefs and the fact that I received several threats from members of the FT community if I didn't vote a specific way. I've never been quite as comfortable on FT after some of the hateful emails I received after that issue.
* I rechecked the threads where it shows you abstaining & it is listed in the way it was reported on those threads. I'm stunned & saddened that you would receive threats. There is no call for that in general, but even less on a bulletin board. Come to the London Do; we'll make you feel comfortable there

Cheers. Sharon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.