Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Closed - Motion Failed: Abstentions Don't Count Against Passage of Motions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Closed - Motion Failed: Abstentions Don't Count Against Passage of Motions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Too many of the TB members WANT 'abstain' to count as a 'no.' I'm told it is rude to say it's because it allows for a 'coward's no,' but since that's what I believe, that's what I'll say.

In any case, it'll be interesting to see how the voting turns out on this. I wonder if anyone will abstain!?
Have all 9 said they want abstain to count as a no? I know I haven't said that.

BTW - with the back/forth & folk posting different #s of how it impacts (or doesn't) & what 'is is' means changing from 2005 to 2008 (weren't you the one who helped draft the guidelines - how'd ya let that one pass by you ), the thought of abstaining did cross my mind

But I believe abstain should be used rarely & only when there is a conflict of interest or if a person hasn't had time to do research due to travel or real-world work. In those instances I don't think that abstain is taking the coward's way; in fact, the opposite, of not just tossing in a vote (yes or no) simply to say one voted without doing due diligence.

If one does use abstain to avoid an outright no vote, I don't think that's appropriate behavior. Right or wrong (and I'm sure I'll be both during the next 2 years!), people will always know where I stand on things.

FWIW - the thought of abstaining did actually pass my mind (and the irony is not lost on me) , but I figure being confused by the back/forth, the #s, and how it impacts everything wasn't a good reason to not vote. Or actually maybe it is LOL...

I haven't made up my mind yet yes/no & as mentioned previously, have reached out to a # of the 'regular' FT members everyone is so fond of reminding us that we represent to get their input, in addition to those who post here on a regular basis.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Dovster
As TB almost always has 9 members, that paragraph means that 5 must vote "yes".

Let's see what this changes:

6, 7, 8, or 9 vote "Yes" and the motion passes even without this change.

1, 2, 3, or 4 vote "Yes" and the motion fails with or without this change.

5 vote yes, 3 vote no, and 1 abstains: The vote gets 62.5% and fails, with or without this change.

The only change will be where 5 vote "yes" and 2 or less vote "no" with the remainder abstaining. I can not remember that ever happening.
This analysis seems flawless to me. The change is likely to be inconsequential most of the time.

Bruce
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:43 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
BTW - with the back/forth & folk posting different #s of how it impacts (or doesn't) & what 'is is' means changing from 2005 to 2008 (weren't you the one who helped draft the guidelines - how'd ya let that one pass by you ), the thought of abstaining did cross my mind
Yep, I sure was. And I went back and looked at my notes after you pointed this out. It appears I accepted ozstamps (now shown to be incorrect) claim that the guidelines as currently drafted simply enshrined the staus quo at the time the guidelines were created. I'm pretty sure you can check the private TB debate records from the time of the drafting and consideration of the guidelines...I may have posted something to that effect there, too.

I apologize to the community for this sloppy due diligence!
Old Dec 30, 2010, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
For the second time this month, koko gets an "I fully agree". My perception is tha abstentions have been used by some as a political tool by some on TB to "hedge" and avoid being accused of blocking something they are, in fact, not in favor of.

If you are incapable of having a reasoned opinion on something, you shouldn't be on the TB.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Well unfortunately for those who currently vote 'abstain' with pure intentions, their vote can too easily be interpreted at a coward's no.

As this proposal would lift that stain from their intentions, all the more reason for its quick passage. ^

That said, I don't think 'I can't make up my mind' is a good reason to abstain. TB members are elected to make up their minds. If they cannot, they should step down.

A good reason to abstain, to my mind, is a conflict of interest or the TB member does not feel adequately informed about the issue at hand based on the debate and information provided.

In any case, whatever the motivation for the abstention, abstentions should not count in tallying the vote negatively or positively; when members abstain, they are in effect only attending the meeting to aid in constituting a quorum, never in deciding the outcome.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:33 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Help me to get this right.

1. 2005 - A motion to change how voting would be tallied was passed. This motion stated 'only "Yes" and "No" votes will be considered when calculating whether a vote passes or fails'. It specifically dealt with not treating abstention votes the same as a "No" vote.

2. 2008 - A document to "codify" the rules around the TB was created and approved by TB. This document was not meant to "change" any rules and was only to "quantify" what the already agreed upon rules for TB were.

3. Some time later it was noted that the document had accidentally misrepresented what the 2005 motion stated.

If my summary above is correct, then it seems to me that the 2005 passed motion and the 2008 TB intention to make no changes should trump any unintended and/or accidental changes that were made.

So basically, an error in the TB document has been found. Fix it and if there are person(s) that want to actually CHANGE the 2005 motion, then a current motion should be crafted and submitted.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by hhoope01
If my summary above is correct, then it seems to me that the 2005 passed motion and the 2008 TB intention to make no changes should trump any unintended and/or accidental changes that were made.

So basically, an error in the TB document has been found. Fix it and if there are person(s) that want to actually CHANGE the 2005 motion, then a current motion should be crafted and submitted.
You are right. The problem is that there are some members of TB who are vehemently against most changes (check to see how often these members have voted against the establishment of any forum except when it was asked for by Randy).

They prefer to be able to block changes by requiring a higher number of "yes" votes.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Help me to get this right.

1. 2005 - A motion to change how voting would be tallied was passed. This motion stated 'only "Yes" and "No" votes will be considered when calculating whether a vote passes or fails'. It specifically dealt with not treating abstention votes the same as a "No" vote.

2. 2008 - A document to "codify" the rules around the TB was created and approved by TB. This document was not meant to "change" any rules and was only to "quantify" what the already agreed upon rules for TB were.

3. Some time later it was noted that the document had accidentally misrepresented what the 2005 motion stated.

It's an extremely dangerous slippery slope to start reading "intentions" into actions of years ago about which people's recollections may disagree. We have only the language that was enacted into law, so to speak. We do not have sufficient "legislative history" to effectively modify that language -- and even if we did (as does the U.S. Congress, for instance), it is used only to resolve ambiguities. The language that was enacted in 2008 seems unambiguous to me. If we don't like it, we should change it with a new vote.

Bruce
Old Dec 30, 2010, 4:22 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bdschobel
It's an extremely dangerous slippery slope to start reading "intentions" into actions of years ago about which people's recollections may disagree. We have only the language that was enacted into law, so to speak.
I do understand what you are saying and don't necessarily disagree. But based on comments in this thread and looking back at the 2008 threads, it seemed pretty clear that the TB rules "codification" wasn't meant to change anything. It was only meant to put down in writing what the processes and rules were.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: HH Silver

Isn't the current motion being voted upon just that, a correction to ammend the 2008 TB Guidelines as it spcifically relates to this voting section? The fix is in, so to speak, so why would another motion needed to be crafted and submitted?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:21 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Except that this motion does not return things to the way it was in 2005... it puts a 5 vote minimum (voting "Yes" or "No") in order for a motion to pass.

I would much prefer to see it go back to the way it was in 2005; especially considering that there appears to have been no discussion to actually change that policy when the 2008 rules were codified.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Isn't the current motion being voted upon just that, a correction to ammend the 2008 TB Guidelines as it spcifically relates to this voting section? The fix is in, so to speak, so why would another motion needed to be crafted and submitted?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
FYI - I voted Yes this morning.

Cheers.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Motion failed

On 31 Dec 2010, the TalkBoard failed to pass 4-5:

Moved by jackal and seconded by Markie:

The TalkBoard recommends that the TalkBoard Guidelines be amended as follows:

Section 4, paragraph C, sub-paragraph ii be replaced with the following text:

TalkBoard members may participate in a vote by registering their vote of yes or no while the voting period is open. They may also decline to participate in a vote by marking that they abstain, in which case they shall not be counted as participating members. Such abstention shall not count as non-participation for the purpose of enforcing Section 3(F)(vii)(b) of the TalkBoard guidelines.

Section 4, paragraph C, sub-paragraph vii be replaced with the following text:

A motion shall pass if two-thirds of TalkBoard members participating in that vote, but no fewer than a majority of the TalkBoard members in office at the close of the voting period, vote ‘yes.’

Voting Yes: Cholula, jackal, Markie, SkiAdcock

Voting No: B747-437B, bhatnasx, gleff, lucky9876coins, Spiff
Old Dec 31, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
It is actually immaterial as this change would have impacted very few, if any, votes.

A true reform would have been to return to the 2005 decision, which would have meant eliminating these words "but no fewer than a majority of the TalkBoard members in office at the close of the voting period, vote ‘yes.’"
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Dovster
It is actually immaterial as this change would have impacted very few, if any, votes.

A true reform would have been to return to the 2005 decision, which would have meant eliminating these words "but no fewer than a majority of the TalkBoard members in office at the close of the voting period, vote ‘yes.’"
I'd be happy to resubmit the motion as you propose, but I'd expect to see the same voting results. I inserted that verbiage in there after some discussion in the private forum, but the members that was intended to appease ended up voting against the measure anyway.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by jackal
I'd be happy to resubmit the motion as you propose, but I'd expect to see the same voting results. I inserted that verbiage in there after some discussion in the private forum, but the members that was intended to appease ended up voting against the measure anyway.
So much for the spirit of consensus we were hearing about behind closed doors on TB. Thanks for trying and maybe another attempt to scale the heights of this issue can be mounted one day soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.