Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Proposed amend TB guidelines: TB members take leave of absence from moderator duty

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposed amend TB guidelines: TB members take leave of absence from moderator duty

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by kipper
Something that might be a nice compromise would be if there were moderator term limits, having those interested self-nominate, and then having forum participants vote on it, or having forum participants nominate moderator candidates, and leaving the final decision up to TB or the CD.
You're assuming that the Mod.'s would come from within the forum which isn't necessarily the case now. Mod.'s aren't there to be experts on what they're moderating as that's not their role, which is fostering a smooth and healthy debate without personal attacks or other TOS infractions. Many do have well more than a passing interest in the topic at hand but AFAIK it's not a prerequisite.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by tcook052
Mod.'s aren't there to be experts on what they're moderating as that's not their role, which is fostering a smooth and healthy debate without personal attacks or other TOS infractions. Many do have well more than a passing interest in the topic at hand but AFAIK it's not a prerequisite.
Absolutely right. I have next to no knowledge about Frontier and even less experience with Midwest. I leave it to the members to drive flavor the forum. As with other forums I'm assigned to, PMs and RBPs are the primary avenues members use to communicate their desires.

A n y w a y, isn't this thread about term limits for TalkBoard members?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:19 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources
Original Poster

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by essxjay
Absolutely right. I have next to no knowledge about Frontier and even less experience with Midwest. I leave it to the members to drive flavor the forum. As with other forums I'm assigned to, PMs and RBPs are the primary avenues members use to communicate their desires.

A n y w a y, isn't this thread about term limits for TalkBoard members?
lol, actually...no.

Here is what this thread is (well, was at the start, anyway) about:

I propose that the talkboard guidelines be amended to require TB members to take a leave of absence from their moderation duties while they serve on the TB.

I further propose that the TB recommend to the TB Host that the TB President and Vice-President be made liaison to the moderator corps, and be granted access to moderator forums and meetings.

Among the reasons I think this is a good idea:

- TB is meant to represent the posters. While moderators are also posters, moderators experience FT in a VERY different way than posters. It's not a perfect analogy, but generally their perspective is that of an employee rather than a customer. I for one would prefer that a customer focus group be made up of customers rather than a mix of customers and employees, even if the employees use the service as often as many customers. After all, even though flight attendants fly may more than 1ks both while working and on SA, an airline customer focus group would never include flight attendants. Their perspective is simply different.

Specifically, by splitting duties between TB and moderator a person may have divided loyalties and/or a conflict of interest. Not that they DO, but they COULD. For example: mega-threads. A moderator may find that creating mega-threads is a simple and easy way to moderate a forum. But the TB could conceivably propose recommending that mega-threads be discouraged (I personally think mega-threads are destroying the user experience). A moderator would have to weigh their desire to have an easy way to moderate and save themselves time against the customer's desire to discourage mega-threads via their TB representatives. Such conflicts are easily avoided by having the TB be purely customer-focused.

- The TB is increasingly ceding authority to moderators to make recommendations for FT. I believe this is happening because moderator members of TB see moderators corps discussion issues and taking action so do not feel the need for the TB to weigh in on issues. By creating an actual separation of powers, TB members will only have the perspective of the user experience to guide their actions and recommendations, independent from the actions and decisions of the moderator corps.

- There are many people who desire to serve and only so many slots to go 'round. It's grand to see so many titles under a single person's name, but it would be better to see fewer titles under more people's names.

- Clearly there should be coordination between moderators and the TB. Hence my suggestion that the TB recommend that the president and vp/s represent the tb to the moderator corps on an ongoing basis.

I think this proposal would re-invigorate the TB and make to more focused on the customer/poster experience.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 4:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
Originally Posted by kokonutz
lol, actually...no.
Whoops, you're right!
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
You propose access to the Moderator forum to non-Mods who are elected as President and VP of TalkBoard. Interesting!
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by Spiff

The TalkBoard has no purview over such matters not involving TalkBoard volunteers, nor will it per the Community Director.
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Well said Markie

From the bits of info I've been able to pick up from past issues...it seems too many old members and certain Mod's are reluctant to change.
Change is a good thing...though you may not all agree together on certain points...
very good point Jinxy
Old Dec 10, 2011, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
You propose access to the Moderator forum to non-Mods who are elected as President and VP of TalkBoard. Interesting!
Right now some TB members are mods and some are not. So they end up playing sort of an unofficial liaison role.

I'm seeking to formalize that arrangement. And since under my proposal NO members of the TB would be mods, the liaison role is best filled by the President and VP/Secretary of the TB.

In another thread I have also suggested that all mods have read-only access to the private TB forum and that all TB members have read-only access to the private moderator forum in order to create better understanding and collaboration between the two groups.

I find the current silo management to be inefficient and cumbersome.

Of course, in yet another thread I suggest giving ALL posters read-only access to the private TB forum. IMHO we ain't got nuthin' to hide, and letting folks visit that forum would create better collaboration with and understanding of the TB process for the posters. Unfortunately, this suggestion has been rejected several times, both by a majority of the TB and also by Randy by fiat back in the day...
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:10 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Originally Posted by Spiff
The TalkBoard has no purview over such matters not involving TalkBoard volunteers, nor will it per the Community Director.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Well said Markie

From the bits of info I've been able to pick up from past issues...it seems too many old members and certain Mod's are reluctant to change.
Change is a good thing...though you may not all agree together on certain points...
very good point Jinxy
Agreed ^

Some say change is a four letter word
I say change can be good
And good is also a four letter word

and to add, a closed mind is a terrible thing to waste
Old Dec 10, 2011, 12:13 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
very good point Jinxy
Originally Posted by Jenbel
If one goes to the top of the forums, it's a link from the bottom that page called 'view forum leaders'

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showgroups.php
A little bit late in saying thanks
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:28 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by kokonutz
the liaison role is best filled by the President and VP/Secretary of the TB.
Do you propose that they be bound by the confidentiality of that forum?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Markie
Do you propose that they be bound by the confidentiality of that forum?
Sure. However the CD thinks it best to manage their access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.