Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Products" forum?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
"Products" forum?

There's a new forum, "Products," in the Support&Services section. (This is not the "Travel Products" forum in the Travel&Dining section.) I don't recall any discussion about creating it. At this point it has no posts. Can someone enlighten us about how it got there and what it's for?

(I don't have a problem with the system administrators creating new forums in that section, if that's how it got there. I'm just curious. If I missed another thread on this, please point me at it.)
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:15 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I assume, though I'm not sure, it is a forum for discussion of things like InsideFlyer and other things that the HOM is involved with other than the forums.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:30 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk

Nope, no HOM on this one.

It was started by Internet Brands. They did post an announcement to both the Mods and the TalkBoard as to their intent to introduce the new forum and it appears to be a customer service forum for a new game they are introducing to FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by lo2e
I assume, though I'm not sure, it is a forum for discussion of things like InsideFlyer and other things that the HOM is involved with other than the forums.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:58 pm
No longer at Internet Brands

Programs: America Advantage
Hi -

We have created this forum as a place to discuss new product updates for Flyertalk.com. We currently have a suggestions forum where members can list feature requests and a technical issues forum where problems with the existing feature set can be reported. However, we need a place for discussion specifically around new features of Flyertalk.

The products forum will offer a place where members can ask questions about new features as they become available. We will also be adding updates of new stuff that will be coming in the future.

One example is we have been working on projects in the mobile space. As we get closer to production this would be the forum where we will make announcements around launch timing or answer questions about feature set.

I hope this helps, we will have a post explaining in the forum itself shortly.

Brent
Director of Travel and Leisure
Internet Brands
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Thanks for the explanation. In that case, though, may I suggest that a title such as "New Features Discussion" would be more descriptive than "Products?" My first reaction was that it's about selling FT luggage tags, T-shirts and thongs.

Added later: As an IT professional, I see this a lot when the IT people behind a system don't put themselves in their users' shoes. From IB's point of view, FT is a "product." Reasonable; it's what IB produces. From the FTers' point of view, though, it's not. It would be better to choose a name that reflects how users see things, not how developers do.

This natural human tendency isn't limited to IT, of course. I've seen supermarket signs that say things like how lettuce "retails" will be higher because of bad weather someplace. A supermarket produce manager, who deals with both wholesale and retail prices, needs to use this term to tell them apart. Do the rest of us, in buying groceries, ever use that word? Of course not. To us, it's a "price." The store should think of us when it writes its signs and make an effort to avoid in-group jargon. Same difference.

Last edited by Efrem; Nov 10, 2010 at 6:55 am Reason: Add second and third paragraphs
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:55 am
No longer at Internet Brands

Programs: America Advantage
Excellent points. I think we can get that addressed.
Old Nov 10, 2010, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by Efrem
Thanks for the explanation. In that case, though, may I suggest that a title such as "New Features Discussion" would be more descriptive than "Products?" My first reaction was that it's about selling FT luggage tags, T-shirts and thongs.

Added later: As an IT professional, I see this a lot when the IT people behind a system don't put themselves in their users' shoes. From IB's point of view, FT is a "product." Reasonable; it's what IB produces. From the FTers' point of view, though, it's not. It would be better to choose a name that reflects how users see things, not how developers do.

This natural human tendency isn't limited to IT, of course. I've seen supermarket signs that say things like how lettuce "retails" will be higher because of bad weather someplace. A supermarket produce manager, who deals with both wholesale and retail prices, needs to use this term to tell them apart. Do the rest of us, in buying groceries, ever use that word? Of course not. To us, it's a "price." The store should think of us when it writes its signs and make an effort to avoid in-group jargon. Same difference.
Thank you for a great suggestion. We have officially changed the forum name. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-features-676/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.