Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal for "Invite-Only" or "Restricted" area of forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by johndeere19
BUT perhaps some sort of time delay could be implemented when it would be released to the community at large (and subsequently the public). This would give ample time for those dedicated to the site to completely figure out the deals ins and outs and sustainably use it until it is released to everyone to be devoured.
Time delay? Sorry but now you're really reaching...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by tcook052
Time delay? Sorry but now you're really reaching...
Trying to...just throwing ideas out there to attempt to get others to do the same. I will admit, I don't see it happening as I've proposed, but perhaps some sort of new idea will pop up because of this thread.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to realize that while the concept may be good in theory, it would never work in practice. I do wish we could figure out a way to accomplish what it is I set out to do, but given multiple issues with time, effort, etc. it just doesn't seem feasible at this point with what's been thrown on the table so far.

Mods, feel free to lock this thread if no further discussions/ideas comes up.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 6:39 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
I think that this is a good idea for two reasons
  1. There are cases (e.g. AA first class "sale" on QA) when people want to discuss certain thing among themselves. A "By invitation only" thread would have worked great. Since that wasn't available we set up a mailing list which wasn't nearly as productive to us and also kept us away from FT since during that time it was out top travel related priority. Net result both this subset FT users and the FT site owners lost.
  2. Slow down propagation (outside FT) of useful information. My suggestion is not to restrict by posts or time (since as was pointed above this will not be effective). An alternative approach is to use and NDA since some people have a big problem using an NDA in an open forum, we can call its TOS. Before gaining access to a restricted forum (or thread) the user will have to agree to TOS which will state that the information can't be used by any business, for commercial purposes or be posted elsewhere.

Clearly this will not stop individuals set on harming the community (at least we will be able to ban them form violating the TOS). However, this will stop the airline and hotels since there is no way their lawyers will let any employee come close to such a forum much less use the information.

Last edited by Sagy; Sep 1, 2010 at 11:23 pm Reason: clarification
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I do wish we could figure out a way to accomplish what it is I set out to do
Trust me I have that feeling often on FT and often think things would be much easier if everyone just did what I wanted. Sadly it rarely happens though I do try to deal with it.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to realize that while the concept may be good in theory, it would never work in practice.

I do wish we could figure out a way to accomplish what it is I set out to do, but given multiple issues with time, effort, etc. it just doesn't seem feasible at this point with what's been thrown on the table so far.
It is like reforming the Tax system in (insert country name here) - everyone agrees it is a great concept, but as always, the devil is always in the detail.

Old Sep 1, 2010, 10:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to realize that while the concept may be good in theory, it would never work in practice.
I'd suggest you work with the Mileage Run Discussion moderators. They had some really good ideas with the prior proposal that got voted down. Consider them a resource and seek out their assistance.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Honestly these deals are gone - reduced to sharing between members in third party forums or emails. Both of the deals you mention for miles were not fare errors but offers readily available to anyone.

What used to happen here is that members shared fare deals, or bonuses that they had found. These are still about, I am told, but no longer on FT. Sad but not unsurprising when you consider our numbers.

I'd be up for some 'lurker-free' zone where we can share in private without the intervention of reps from the travel firms.

However, based on the last vote where a restriction on access was attempted, a majority of the current TalkBoard has no appetite for restrictions. Anyone wanting them (restrictions) had better stand for election - roll on November.

Originally Posted by ozstamps
Ha!

More to this idea than meeets the eye it seems.

FT is an open resource. Always has been.

That it precisely why it survives.

I've been here over 10 years, and earned many millions of miles from tips gathered from here.

No secret cabals needed. No special handshakes. No insider tips.

I got, like many others, some 1.4 MILLION free airline miles on KLM that any member had access to for months, simply for faxing in their elite statement and taking one paid flight. That gave us several round the world, first class tickets and I still have a bunch not spent.

I made BA Concorde RT flights for $1,200, (as did 100s of others here) stayed at many hotel for $1 a night etc.

The list goes on forever.

Hang in there, be an active member, and read a lot.

The deals are there for the taking. For ALL members. It what the Community is all about.

Sure many loopholes get plugged fast .. that is WHY being active pays off.

Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Markie
However, based on the last vote where a restriction on access was attempted, a majority of the current TalkBoard has no appetite for restrictions. Anyone wanting them (restrictions) had better stand for election - roll on November.
We can fix that, count on me as one that will try to make it happen.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sagy
I think that this is a good idea for two reasons
  1. There are cases (e.g. AA first class "sale" on QA) when people want to discuss certain thing among themselves. A "By invitation only" thread would have worked great. Since that wasn't available we set up a mailing list which wasn't nearly as productive to us and also kept us away from FT since during that time it was out top travel related priority. Net result both this subset FT users and the FT site owners lost.
  2. Slow down propagation (outside FT) of useful information. My suggestion is not to restrict by posts or time (since as was pointed above this will not be effective). An alternative approach is to use and NDA since some people have a big problem using an NDA in an open forum, we can call its TOS. Before gaining access to a restricted forum (or thread) the user will have to agree to TOS which will state that the information can't be used by any business, for commercial purposes or be posted elsewhere.

Clearly this will not stop individuals set on harming the community (at least we will be able to ban them form violating the TOS). However, this will stop the airline and hotels since there is no way their lawyers will let any employee come close to such a forum much less use the information.
Interesting...if I understand you correctly, you'd be up for creating some sort of "create private thread" option and shoot out an invite on your own thus eliminating the need for moderator intervention? So essentially, it'd be similar to shooting out a PM to multiple users, but with a centralized location where a trusted group can discuss new ideas (of course the group starter would end up being the "gate-keeper" of invites). I'm not sure what the capabilities of this forum are, but that could alleviate some of the issues.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 11:17 am

Interesting...if I understand you correctly, you'd be up for creating some sort of "create private thread" option and shoot out an invite on your own thus eliminating the need for moderator intervention? So essentially, it'd be similar to shooting out a PM to multiple users, but with a centralized location where a trusted group can discuss new ideas (of course the group starter would end up being the "gate-keeper" of invites). I'm not sure what the capabilities of this forum are, but that could alleviate some of the issues.
Yes, this is the general idea.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to realize that while the concept may be good in theory, it would never work in practice. I do wish we could figure out a way to accomplish what it is I set out to do, but given multiple issues with time, effort, etc. it just doesn't seem feasible at this point with what's been thrown on the table so far.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. Regardless of my or your personal feelings on this, it ain't gonna happen.

That said, I would not currently support this. FT is an open community, and creating a place designated for private discussion does go against the spirit the community was founded on. I still support some measure of protection on MR Deals and giving the Trick It thread a place to live where it doesn't have to be so cliquish, but designating a whole part of the forum for discussion away from a large swath of the FT user base is excessive.

I'd be up for some 'lurker-free' zone where we can share in private without the intervention of reps from the travel firms.

I am not entirely opposed to something like this. However, I'm not sure it's logistically feasible, and there will always be leaks from lurkers that are unidentified as such.

Regardless, your last point is valid.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I personally don't see this happen on FT, there will be no majority for it and lobbying is very difficult for such a motion.

My recommendation is (because I am for stricter protection of superdeals) to keep FT an open information source and probably outsource sensitive information (as it is happening already). There wont be a consensus for a 'high security forum' so I guess that's the max one can do.

~s
Old Sep 26, 2010, 1:33 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
My recommendation is (because I am for stricter protection of superdeals) to keep FT an open information source and probably outsource sensitive information (as it is happening already). There wont be a consensus for a 'high security forum' so I guess that's the max one can do.

~s
And instantly you exclude most members from the 'in the know' clique!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
And instantly you exclude most members from the 'in the know' clique!
Well, you really only have two options:

-Exclude all those except those "in the know" (status quo)
-Exclude a relatively small number of people to mitigate risks of deals being spoiled (what keeps getting proposed, and shot down, in TB)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.