Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5. Do you have a specific action to propose if elected?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:11 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

5. Do you have a specific action to propose if elected?

If so, what is it?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:56 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I believe that our forums will benefit from addition of a feedback mechanism from readers to posters. For example, we could propose a "Thanks" icon that shows the poster, and possibly all readers, a count of the number of thanks received.

We're all human. We like to be thanked. It makes us do more of the behavior which prompted the thanks. Some form of this concept will add value to FlyerTalk: I am certain of that. We need to find the right form of it, accounting for FT'ers compulsion to game every system we encounter!

There's a current thread on this subject in the TalkBoard Topics forum. Please post your ideas there.

Getting six votes will be hard, but could it really be harder than it was to get six votes for members to limit their own terms? We'll see.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
No, I do not have a specific action to propose. In the short run, I feel it would be far better for me to learn from the other TB members and watch the Community forum carefully to see what matters to the members, not specifically to me.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
People that take themselves too seriously....especially on a internet forum.

Irreverence
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
I believe that our forums will benefit from addition of a feedback mechanism from readers to posters. For example, we could propose a "Thanks" icon
This is a vote winner. But I will trump it with a "like" button. Get out of that!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:39 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I have no specific action to propose at this time; although I have proposed many thoughts and ideas over the years — both my own and those from fellow FlyerTalk members.

My focus as a TalkBoard member would be to listen to what is on your mind and take it from there — which is something I already do in my experience as a FlyerTalk moderator.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:44 pm

Bans will be banned under my command. Especially if you have Gold status on BAEC. As a GGL in the CCR - if you meet another GGL you will have the right to nominate up to 7 members for either i) a 3 week ban ii) a MUCCI.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
No specific proposal.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
no, because I cannot predict what is going to come up in the future...I need to take new ideas as they come about and make decisions based upon the data and information that I have.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I think that the current system works well. Yes there may be a need for "tweaking" here and there however the members are the voice of the community so what one person thinks should not be taken for the many.

I would however offer Strawberries over Bananas :-)
Old Nov 14, 2014, 2:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One very minor change that I would like to see--if this would be technologically feasible in vBulletin--is to delete closed subfora from the "forum jump" drop down menu at the bottom left of FT pages. Currently the old premerger Delta and Northwest closed subfora continue to appear almost five years after the merger. Similarly, the premerger Unitied and Continental closed subfora are listed. Soon we will also have closed subfora for premerger American Airlines and USAir. This makes the list longer than necessary and is especially annoying when one is accessing FT on a device. One suspects that while the closed subfora are important reference resources (and should not be archived yet or ever deleted), their use declines rapidly after they are closed to further posts as mergers proceed. Note that I am not suggesting that closed subfora be removed from the forum's main page but only that their inclusion in longer lists of FT fora be changed after then have been closed for some time.

I've also been thinking about whether it would be desirable , as an experiment, to re-organize one or more of the major hotel fora so that the main page listing thread titles isn't so cluttered by review master threads for particular hotels. This could be done by placing all of the threads that concern specific properties or that compare hotels in some particular location into a subforum of the hotel chain forum.

This potential change would make it easier to quickly skim and follow threads about changes in policy for the hotel chain and its frequent guest program. I suspect that people tend to consult the hotel master review threads and similar material only when they are considering making reservations for those particular hotels.

The downside of reorganizing some of the hotel fora in this way would probably be fewer posts being added to the specific hotel threads. Currently some folks click the threads of hotels they know and in doing so they might be able to answer questions quickly and easily.

On balance, I've thought about this but I'm not sure whether it would work well or not. This potential change could be worth considering, but I would first want to get a lot of feedback from FT members and hotel forum moderators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.