Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics > TalkBoard Election Debate Archives > Talkboard Debate Archives > TalkBoard Elections/13
Reload this Page >

Question 4: What Talkboard decision of the past year do you particularly like?

Old Nov 3, 13, 9:42 am
Community Director
Original Poster

In thinking over the various issues with which Talkboard dealt this past year, what do you particularly like? Are there any where you would have voted against the majority? If so, why?
Old Nov 3, 13, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm glad we now have a trusted traveler forum and a points and miles blog forum. That helps direct people away from Travel Buzz and Miles Buzz on issues that are better discussed elsewhere. I also like the Spain forum as that will help take some of the clutter away from Europe.
Old Nov 3, 13, 12:52 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I also like the Trusted Traveler Forum and the proposed (and now under voting) of the re-naming of the airline and hotel forums to reflect the company name and their loyalty program and while technically not in the past year as the motion passed in December, 2011, I like the fact that TalkBoard members now have term limits as sometimes fresh blood brings fresh and new ideas
Old Nov 3, 13, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
While not "new" I have to say that when I last ran (2011) I was vehemently opposed to letting OMNI posts count for post count. I'd like to reverse my opinion on it and say retroactively that I agree with the decision and I'm glad it was made
Old Nov 3, 13, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, AA Plat
As someone who frequently responds to new members questions, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...esk-forum.html is a great idea to me.

I know there's stickies, wiki posts, etc. an updated info desk and encouraging folks to use it is extremely helpful.
Old Nov 3, 13, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
In thinking over the various issues with which Talkboard dealt this past year, what do you particularly like? Are there any where you would have voted against the majority? If so, why?
I like the EMPR forum because I have a blog! I think it's good to have a discussion on whether there are conflicts of interest and biases associated with blogger content.
Old Nov 3, 13, 6:14 pm
Moderator: Marriott Bonvoy & Travel with Children

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Creating the Trusted Traveler forum has to be the recent winner.

Bruce
Old Nov 4, 13, 6:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I'd have to say the Information Desk forum, as assisting new members, especially those unfamiliar with forums in general has been a long-standing issue I've wanted to address.
Old Nov 4, 13, 10:04 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Programs: UA 1K/MM refugee to cheapest business class fare, SPG Lifetime Plat, CBP Global Entry, #datelife
To me, by FAR, the greatest innovation on FT in YEARS are wikithreads.

And although the TB didn't 'do' that, we certainly lobbied for it.

I also love the External Points and Miles Resources forum (in case I haven't mentioned that).

I also like that due to pressure from the TB, the Travel News for was restored to its glory days when doc made it a travel news rss feed.

Last edited by kokonutz; Nov 4, 13 at 10:10 am
Old Nov 4, 13, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
I am also happy we now have a trusted traveler forum & a points and miles forum. Sometimes it used to get to me that when subjects touched on more than one area you only could pick one to post in, but generally speaking it is good that things have been broken up the way they have been so far here.

I would also like to say that despite all the many changes this site has gone through and the community has witnessed over the years, it is still a great place to rely on talking about travel issues and getting good feedback, and so I am figuring that changes that have been made over the years have obviously been still steering the ship in a good direction. I hope we can continue this.

MM

Of course there is one thing about the "trusted traveler program."

I was arrested in 1988 for stealing a road sign in college. I never got any record, just a fine and that was that. But due to this and this alone, I could not get the GOES program and am not considered a trusted traveler in the eyes of the government. What does taking a street sign 35 years ago have to do with one's conduct on a plane now? No idea. But my point is: There are some darn stupid policies out there and I just hope whatever we do, we don't come up with things as bad as that. Thank you.
Old Nov 5, 13, 5:34 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
The LCC forums split from within others.
Old Nov 8, 13, 8:34 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I didn't like when the CC info was taken out of travel buzz forum myself. The WIKI's I agree are invaluable and will be with us for many years to come for sure.
Old Nov 8, 13, 10:53 am
Moderator, Hertz
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I really love the Wiki options. It allows people to add and edit information allowing it to be up to date without relying on the OP to update it constantly.