FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TalkBoard Elections/11 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-elections-11-691/)
-   -   Question 11: Where have you contributed content? helped build community? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkboard-elections-11/1277448-question-11-where-have-you-contributed-content-helped-build-community.html)

SanDiego1K Nov 7, 2011 5:32 pm

Question 11: Where have you contributed content? helped build community?

A prior question dealt with the issue of the importance of content and community.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...community.html
  1. Give an example of where you have added content.
  2. Give an example of where you have participated in community.

Jinxy Nov 7, 2011 5:54 pm

Who is to judge on what is classed as a contribution to a forum?

I would like to think that everyone on these forums, whether veteran posters or new people have all something to contribute; whether it is helping another member by answering a question or posting a link to another source which may be of use.

I have posted a couple of trip reports, as well as hotel reviews and a few outside links to changes in frequent flyer programs on various forums.

I don't claim to be an expert in anything, however have picked up a bit of knowledge through my own experiences and like to share and assist where I think it is of value (not posting or commenting in forums that I know nothing about)

nsx Nov 7, 2011 6:15 pm

I have thousands of posts on the Southwest forum, since I fly them every week. Long ago I was one of the instigators of the thread on earning miles by purchasing US Savings Bonds. What a great deal that was!

I wrote the first version of the Southwest and Rapid Rewards mega-FAQ in 2005. Later that year I rewrote it in Wiki form.

I pioneered the use of a locked news flash thread, to which users can subscribe for instant email notification of major program news.

I have authored some internal documents for the moderator corps, primarily on the subject of effective communication.

I have taken the lead on two topics during my 3 years on TalkBoard:
I have also served as Secretary and Vice President of the TalkBoard this year, responsible for communicating decisions and pending votes to FT members.

Within the TalkBoard I have promoted the approach of running straw polls to refine proposals and win consensus before moving to a formal vote. This is why we have seen many 9-0 and 8-1 votes, and it's also why some subjects never came to a vote. This approach also minimizes incidents of re-voting on the same subject, provided that the TalkBoard members pay sufficient attention to the straw polls.

kipper Nov 7, 2011 6:58 pm

I've contributed in both content and community throughout my time here, many times, doing both at once, because content adds to community, while community encourages more to post solid content.

Since the forum has been established, I've contributed quite a bit to Travel Health and Fitness, sharing tips, but also lending support to those in the community who frequent that forum.

I'll usually chime in on discussions in other forums when I have suggestions or knowledge to share, or experiences that might help others

jackal Nov 7, 2011 6:59 pm

One need only search my handle under the Alaska Airlines forum, the Alaska (state) forum, or the various car rental forums to find the thousands of posts I have made that have increased the value of the content on FlyerTalk. I've worked hard to get to the number of posts I have, and I think that the average length and depth of content of each of my over 10,000 posts is very high (perhaps surpassed only by those who post those wonderful word pictures over on the Trip Reports forum). I didn't get to this number of posts by a bunch of one-liners or snippets in some of the contest threads of years past (those were the rare exception for me).

As for community: I've made some great friendships online both in the general forums as well as in the various lounge threads, OMNI games, and other similar places, but I really cherish the times I've spent meeting FlyerTalkers in person. Not only have I attended the last two Sea Doos as well as a few events in New York, I've also joined the fun by hosting or co-hosting a myriad of minor and a number of major events here in Alaska, such as the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ch-2009-a.html, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...14-2010-a.html, the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...7-29-30-a.html, and the one coming up soon that all of you should attend, the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...24-2012-a.html. They were a ton of work, but they were also some of the most rewarding things I've done in my life. I wouldn't be doing another one next year if I didn't love it! I look forward to someday being able to make it to some of the other DOs high on my list, such as the Austin Mega-Do, the MCI BBQ Do, Cow Do, and all the others too numerous to name.

Ancien Maestro Nov 7, 2011 7:05 pm

The draw to FlyerTalk for me is Fairmont President's Club.. Having studied the Loyalty Program for 8 years, and an involved member in Air Canada Aeroplan for 15 years.. I quickly found out the areas of expertise I have in these programs, I began to contribute in FlyerTalk Forum..

For those who know me on FT, I offered my network of Fairmont Employees for a year on FlyerTalk to book Friends and Family Rates.. Basically handling thousands of Private Messages with authorization from FlyerTalk moderators, I was able to connect thousands of FlyerTalk Members to unbelievable savings at Fairmont Hotels and Resorts.. all by way free public service from myself.. the employees received a kickback from the old program originally offered over the Internet.. the commission remained the same when the Fairmont Hotels and Resorts Friends and Family Program NFAF, went manual.. With many FT members not able to book anymore via the Internet, I setup a network of employees through social networking sites, where FT members were able to look at Fairmont Rates in a stock ticker format, and book directly via social networking with the Fairmont Employees. As deals go, this one expired this past March, but a variance of Friends and Family remains to this day that is continually being offered.. not exactly the same.. the deals offered, are what deals Fairmont makes available.. Again, I never made a cent on the above deal made exclusively to FTers, but it was a very good feeling to make available the Friends and Family deal for FTers who wanted to take advantage..

Also, we are connoisseurs of Hawaii.. as we've regularly visited the island for 8 years going on our 9th.. and quickly, I felt at home as Ohana on the Hawaii Forum.. As many visit Hawaii, I'm glad to contribute my perspective, especially for FTers who have inquired about the Fairmont Properties through PM.

In addition, I've contributed greatly with the Walt Disney World Theme Parks in the Orlando Forum.. Did you know you can get free parking.. and at the Theme Parks?.. Did you know that you can get another 11 days at the parks, for only $8 more than MYW Park Hopper, Water Park Fun & More?.. with the knowledge and blessing of WDW?

Its all about the deals, and getting it communicated to FTers.. Its been quite enjoyable..

I've also golfed with FT Members both privately and at GolfDos.. I've had the pleasure of knowing many FTers through the Friends and Family deal.. I've met a few personally when visiting and travelling..

United747 Nov 7, 2011 7:08 pm

In August I started posting a trip report located here I am pretty slow with it, but I am almost done with it. This is only my second trip report. I don't really have one forum that I post in. Most of my posts are in a smattering of areas. Recently I have posted in the channel 9 thread in the United forum, I started a thread in the Delta Forum recently also. But, as you can tell from my post count, I am not one that posts every day. Although with a long trip report and now running for Talkboard, I am posting more.

Delta747

N830MH Nov 7, 2011 9:22 pm

I always loved to read the trip reports details for everyday. It's very important to read the TR details and read the aviation-related forum for everyday. I always be more helpful to sharing more info from airlines and etc. We all know that I am very good airlines investigation and etc. I always be more respective to others.

Sometime I post on Travel Safety & Security forum and not too often. Just see what happened the TSA checkpoint. Every time I gone through at security. I am acknowledgeable that I am very good travel experiemces for a long time. I always be more respectable with TSA and let's TSA is doing their job. I always be more helpful to give out more info about new inline baggage screening system. I love to take on the tour to see new inline baggage screening system.

RichMSN Nov 7, 2011 11:19 pm

I do most of my posting on DL, SPG, TravelBuzz!, Travel Technology, and the OMNIs. I lurk elsewhere, including the TS&S forums. I add content whenever I feel I have a unique perspective. My favorite way to do so is in the hotel master threads when I visit a property that especially pleases or disappoints me.

As far as community goes: I've taken part in a number of DOs -- my favorite one was the first Austin DO held last year. I can still smell and taste the barbecue. And I still remember the disappointment I felt at the host hotel, which I documented in the hotel's master thread.

joshwex90 Nov 8, 2011 3:49 am

I post regularly in both the combined United Airlines forum, and the pre-merger Continental forum.
I'm also heavily involved on the EL AL forum, and have been constructing a now-stickied FAQ thread. I also ensured that the LY forum finally got a mod. I also suspect that a glance at the first few pages on the LY forum will show me having posts in nearly every single thread.
Involved in the Middle East forum (for threads related to Israel) and the Religious Traveler forum (threads related to Judaism).

I post occasionally as well in the NYC, Tech, Travel News (formerly Newstand,) *A, and what was TS/S, and is now 2 forums.

Regarding community, not sure how to answer. I can say that I met one of my closest friends via FT (Honcircle)

kokonutz Nov 8, 2011 7:22 am

The person who asked this question should just do a search!!!!!! :mad:

;) Just joshin'!

Content? Does b!tching about how $misek has devalued both my 1k status and my million miler status at the same time count as content, because I feel like that's all I've been posting about lately. Of course, when some creepy Twilight extra comes in and ruins a 15-year relationship it is hard to keep quiet about it.

I've also tried to post reviews of every *wood I've stayed at as a Plat. Those are always useful for setting expectations.

Community? Well, I was at the first Do, the PiP in 1999. And hosted the Super Happy Fun Time MEGADO Guy Fawkes Day Pub Crawl last weekend. In between...met and married my wife on FT. So I guess you could say I've been a part of the community and it has been a part of me, yeah.

dchristiva Nov 8, 2011 8:00 am

I feel that I contribute content and community every time I offer a suggestion or review. I frequent the NY forum and try to offer information about happenings on Metro North and at my home airport, HPN. I've tried to add my two cents on products in the Travel Products forum. I've offered numerous reviews/thoughts on restaurants in Dining Buzz. And I spend a bit of time in OMNI sharing thoughts on topics outside of the travel arena. All of these contributions have been an effort to create content and a sense of community. Has every one of my posts been constructive? Probably not. But that's my overall objective.

CMK10 Nov 8, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm a frequent contributor in numerous forums and have recently begun to write Trip Reports again.

As for fostering Community, there's a Do set up around me next week:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...mber-20-a.html

The way I see it, they're coming for the CMK10 first, and the Dim sum second ;)

dinoscool3 Nov 8, 2011 12:56 pm

I feel I'm mainly a lurker on many forums, but I post in the United and Continental forums (I have to admit though, they aren't always helpful....)

joshwex90 Nov 8, 2011 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz (Post 17412044)
The person who asked this question should just do a search!!!!!! :mad:

;) Just joshin'!

Content? Does b!tching about how $misek has devalued both my 1k status and my million miler status at the same time count as content, because I feel like that's all I've been posting about lately. Of course, when some creepy Twilight extra comes in and ruins a 15-year relationship it is hard to keep quiet about it.

I've also tried to post reviews of every *wood I've stayed at as a Plat. Those are always useful for setting expectations.

Community? Well, I was at the first Do, the PiP in 1999. And hosted the Super Happy Fun Time MEGADO Guy Fawkes Day Pub Crawl last weekend. In between...met and married my wife on FT. So I guess you could say I've been a part of the community and it has been a part of me, yeah.

That's actually incredible. Very belated congrats!