Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 6: Do you have a role on other travel sites?

Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:31 pm
Community Director Emerita
Original Poster

Question 6: Do you have a role on other travel sites?

From a member:

Are you an administrator, moderator, or do you hold any financial interest for any other travel-related web site and/or travel discussion forum?

Do you believe that a TB member who holds such a position would have a conflict of interest, or at the least, give the appearance of a conflict of interest with FT?
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Are you an administrator, moderator, or do you hold any financial interest for any other travel-related web site and/or travel discussion forum?
No.

Do you believe that a TB member who holds such a position would have a conflict of interest, or at the least, give the appearance of a conflict of interest with FT?
That's likely, but there may be exceptions. For example a site dedicated to charity would probably not create any conflict or perception of conflict.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:16 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
From a member:

Nope.

If it is a site that is just like Flyertalk, then I think they would be a conflict of interest. But, if it was some random website that was not related to Flyertalk, then I don't think it creates a conflict of interest nor an appearance of one.

Delta747
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
From a member:

Yes, I am very active on aviation-related forum. I read the aviation-related forum for everyday and see what happened the airline and etc. I always be more respectable to others. In particular, I didn't have a chance to post in OMNI very often. Because it was too many personal attacks in OMNI/PR. Too many politics, religious and etc.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:03 pm

Programs: AMEX PL, Avis First, AA GLD
From a member:

No I do not.

Depends. If it is a financial interest, the most definitely. The member who receives some financial incentive for promoting a specific topic will clearly be blinded from being unbaised.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
From a member:

No.

Yes and no, obviously if he/she spends a lot of time on the other site, yes, but if he/she uses the interest to help him/her do better as a TalkBoard member then yes it helps.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 9:23 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
From a member:

1. No

2. Yes it could be a conflict of interest if it was a site identical to flyertalk, but would have to be examined on a case by case basis.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
(1) No.

(2) It could be. It's something that should be handled on a case-by-case basis, in my opinion. If the member has a financial stake in a site that could take members away from FT, then I think it's a conflict of interest that should preclude the member from serving.

I don't think this is a problem now, though.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 10:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
From a member:

I'm not an administrator, moderator, nor do I hold any financial interest for any other travel-related web site and/or travel discussion forum.

The Balance of the Post has been edited and submitted to the Community Director

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Nov 4, 2011 at 11:41 pm Reason: Submission to the Community Director
Old Nov 5, 2011, 1:44 am

Programs: Too many
No I am not involved with any other travel forums.

I think Flyertalk is so well known and respected now in the industry that no other travel type forum comes close.

However I do believe you cannot do a role effectively if you spend time on multiple forums and certainly not in any voting or management decisions.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I do not hold any role or have any financial interest in any other forum of any kind.

Although the TalkBoard does not really have any kind of influence on decisions that would be affected by a conflict of interest, it absolutely makes sense to me that accepting a leadership role here is best served by being free from any influences or interest in a competitor of FlyerTalk.

I have on occasion posted on other forums (some travel-related) on the Internet, but FlyerTalk has always been and will continue to be by far my primary home community.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:32 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I cannot say that I do. I am a member of Airliners.net but haven't posted there in over a year.

I can see the worry about a conflict of interest but I do not think there should be limits on whether a Talk Board member can also serve in an administrative capacity elsewhere. I'd like to think that everyone running for this post is mature and trustworthy enough to know to keep their business here separate from their business elsewhere.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
I cannot say that I do. I am a member of Airliners.net but haven't posted there in over a year.

I can see the worry about a conflict of interest but I do not think there should be limits on whether a Talk Board member can also serve in an administrative capacity elsewhere. I'd like to think that everyone running for this post is mature and trustworthy enough to know to keep their business here separate from their business elsewhere.
One thing I learned from my officiating world is that just the appearance of a conflict of interest is enough to erode the trust in someone. So, for example, I think Gary made the right decision when he resigned from TB and from being a moderator here when he took on a formal role on MP.

To me, though, this is more of an academic question. It's up to the member to disclose such a connection and stay away from a leadership role if he/she chooses.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
From a member:

No. I'm a member of another travel-related site, but that's it.

In what way? I don't see it, but perhaps if the member can explain how it would be a conflict of interest. Perhaps, if I used my influence of TalkBoard to "bring down FlyerTalk," ensuring that the other site, in which I hold a financial stake, succeeds. But TB isn't the same as the board of IB.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:52 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
No

I cannot say that one who holds such a position would (n.b. would) have a conflict of interest as that is solely up to them but as to giving the appearance of holding a conflict of interest-YES. Imho, if there is even a remote chance of it appearing as a conflict of interest, that person (again, imho) loses integrity with others (both board members and others in the community) and that could lead to behind the scene "issues" between members which could in turn lead to nothing getting done.

Now I'm gonna go out on a limb (and probably get myself in trouble ) but I'll extend the subject of conflict of interest to forum moderators also being members of Talkboard and vice-versa and say that imho, that should not be allowed as for simplicity’s sake, one makes the rules and the other enforces the rules and imho, never the two should be combined.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.