Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics > TalkBoard Election Debate Archives > Talkboard Debate Archives > TalkBoard Elections/11
Reload this Page >

Question 2: What are your standards for creating a new forum?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question 2: What are your standards for creating a new forum?

Old Nov 5, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Sorry to be late on this, but...

Echoing others, nsx hit the nail on the head. If I had to answer the question without the benefit of nsx's post, I'd say:

I'm generally a fan of creating new forums. The reason is that there's rarely a request for a forum with no need whatsoever. I don't see too many requests for a forum for an airline no one flies or a hotel no one stays at. Once the request is in, if it's an airline (or other program) that generally is well-known, I believe that having its own place helps many people, but especially newbies. Everyone on FT was once a newbie, myself included, and making it easy to find where to post (and not get your post moved or get flamed!) encourages them to stick around!

A perfect example, IMO, would be the somewhat recently created Iberia Plus forum.
Old Nov 5, 2011, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
I agree with the current guidelines outlined in nsx's post.

I would certainly err on the side of creating new forums, especially for what would be otherwise orphaned topic areas.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:00 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I completely disagree with the current TB criteria as posted by nsx.

Creating forums is an art, not a science. If only a few posters want a forum but it's a good idea for a forum that will add value and grow over time it should be given a shot. If it fails then we have lost nothing.

In particular, I despise the bureaucratic requirement of a poster having to fill out a form in order for a new forum to be considered. Screw that. IMHO it is the job of the TalkBoard to look at suggestions with an open mind, do some research and made a determination regarding what is in the best interests of the community. Posters should not have to come before the TB on bended knee with their forms filled out in triplicate like Arthur Dent before a Vogon highway-building crew.

The TalkBoard should work for the posters, the not the other way round.

So here are my criteria for creating a new forum:

Are there a few FTers who are passionate about it?
Is it a good idea?
Is it in the best long-term interests of FT and the posters?
Old Nov 6, 2011, 8:13 am

Programs: Too many
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Creating forums is an art, not a science. If only a few posters want a forum but it's a good idea for a forum that will add value and grow over time it should be given a shot. If it fails then we have lost nothing.

In particular, I despise the bureaucratic requirement of a poster having to fill out a form in order for a new forum to be considered. Screw that. IMHO it is the job of the TalkBoard to look at suggestions with an open mind, do some research and made a determination regarding what is in the best interests of the community. Posters should not have to come before the TB on bended knee with their forms filled out in triplicate like Arthur Dent before a Vogon highway-building crew.

Is it a good idea?

Great points and I mostly agree, but there does need to be a process in place also.
However..should be easy and accessible...and more importantly members shouldn't be scared to ask for things!
Old Nov 6, 2011, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz

Is it a good idea?
I lean in koko's direction while at the same time see no problem with the criteria as long as this is criteria used as a guiding tool by TB during its deliberations.

I don't have a problem with the criteria as laid out by nsx, but I do have a real problem with #8 (as I mentioned before) and I have a problem with TB (if this is how it happens) demanding that a requester lay out a detailed case for a forum. Due diligence is TalkBoard's gig, not a FTer making a request of the TB.

Last time I checked, creating a forum is not difficult and removing one is not difficult, either (not from a vBulletin / technical perspective). So I lean towards giving just about anything a chance to prove itself. Some forums that have done well, I'm surprised. Some that have done poorly, I'm equally surprised.

I get that over-fragmentation is not desirable. Neither are "Other" forums that are just as likely to mean that someone from non-represented program ABC simply doesn't post a question or information because the program isn't specifically represented.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: AC
I agree to a certain extent with NSX, but would think that we could make it even easier. I sometimes dont understand why we must make things so complicated, so much like governments we all complain about. It should be much easier to make decisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.