Question 17: the GLBT forum

Old Nov 7, 08, 7:48 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Question 17: the GLBT forum

submitted by itsaboutthejourney
I'd like for each candidate to comment on the GLBT forum, do they support it? Any changes they'd like to make? Have they visited it?
Old Nov 7, 08, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Again a very popular forum that is demanded by many FTers !

Even though I'm just a browser on GLBT, I found lots of great spots (especially cool bars) due to recommendations on the forum. And a drink always tastes the same, gay or not

I would probably include a little partition for Hotspots & Events.

Good forum with many posts
Old Nov 7, 08, 8:31 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen View Post
submitted by itsaboutthejourney
I'd like for each candidate to comment on the GLBT forum, do they support it? Any changes they'd like to make? Have they visited it?
I'm sure that I've never visited at least half the forums on FT, and GLBT is in that half.

It's for the participants in a forum to decide whether an existing forum is worthwhile and to vote with their participation or non-participation. Nobody is going to propose eliminating a forum that's serving members well and for which there is no logical alternate forum. I certainly wouldn't support elimination of a forum under those circumstances. Taking focused common-interest content and scattering it all over FT would be silly.

If forum participants come to the TB with a proposal to change something, and if the change has broad support, I'll consider that on the same basis as any other forum change.

Was this a rhetorical question, or does someone actually have a proposal in mind to change things?
Old Nov 7, 08, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

To answer the question, I have been to the GLBT Forum approximately four or five times, including once tonight.

I'm torn on the bigger question.

In one sense, I wonder why we're still a society that feels that gay or lesbian travel is "special interest." Despite the disappointing CA Prop 8 vote, I think great strides have been made in society over the past couple decades and think that, on its face, the need to deem people who either happen to be gay or lesbian and their travel topics need to be "special interest" is disappointing.

On the other hand, if the GLBT Forum is one that makes the participants happy and feel it makes FlyerTalk more accommodating, then I'm all for it.

All that said, if the forum is there in the interest of just "keeping them (gay and lesbian people) out of sight," then I'm all against it.

Personally, I would not be offended at all if I were to go to a geographical-based forum and someone asked for the location of a good gay bar.

Again, I have only been to the forum only a handful of times. As I have mentioned in other answers to other questions, I would like to get the feedback of regular participants of the forum before, as a TalkBoard member, making an informed decision about that specific forum.

Hope that answers your questions.
Old Nov 8, 08, 12:26 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
While I don't visit the GBLT forum, I do know that it is quite popular and see no reason to make any changes to it.
Old Nov 8, 08, 6:23 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
family
Old Nov 8, 08, 6:39 am

I honestly don't care about the GLBT forum either way. If it exists and its regular users are happy and it doesn't detract from the rest of the community by its existence, by all means it has my support. I don't think I have ever posted there and doubt I'd have much to contribute anyway.
Old Nov 8, 08, 7:26 am
mjm
Original Member

When I think of my many friends on FT, I think that to not have the GLBT forum would be an absolute disgrace. Have I ever visited it? I could not keep track of at least 50% of the people I call friends on FT if I did not, so yes I do. Have it bookmarked in fact.

It only takes but few minutes of browsing this forum to see how clearly organized the threads are and how anybody seeking information from them would have very little trouble doing so.

I see threads about legal issues, safety when traveling issues, location specific (country and city level) questions with regard to the welcome one might receive there, Community style yet more specifically targeted threads about gatherings, etc., etc., etc.

Can anybody impartially look at this forum and say it has no place or relevance to the people of FT? I think it is an excellent example of creating a forum that has many, many possible and useful threads created within it. And this is and would be my basic yardstick for the creation of a new forum or analysis of the worth of existing ones.
Old Nov 8, 08, 8:04 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Well this is a very interesting question to me. I was one of the driving forces to create this forum back in 2001-02 and have been a moderator there for many many years since 2003 or so. So of course I visit it regularly (several times a day).

The GLBT forum has served Flyertalk very well. Over the years, numerous "new" Flyertalkers have joined and made their first posts in the GLBT forum with many continuing on to become active members in other forums. The forum has also served to provide a "safe centralized" place for members to discuss GLBT Travel topics.

There had been some criticism from members that the topics allowed were too strict. However, based on a conversation with Randy last year, we have agreed to be a little bit more lenient in allowing posts / threads that would have been moved immediately to OMNI or Destination Forums. This has been well received. However, GLBT Forum is part of the overall Flyertalk Family and has to function that way.

So I don't see need for any big change to this forum but of course am willing to listen to suggestions.
Old Nov 8, 08, 9:49 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
With as diverse a community as FT is, I couldn't see FT without such a forum. I hadn't visited the forum until this question was posted. I was glad to see the volume of posts the forum sees. Significantly more traffic than my first moderator job, OCC!
Old Nov 8, 08, 10:46 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Starwood, Priceline
I'm stealing Pizzaman's answer...

With as diverse a community as FT is, I couldn't see FT without such a forum.

I visit GLBT on a regular basis and although I have never been able to make a Gayla I have been to other smaller do's. I think it is one of the best organized forums on FT and I'm happy it's there.
Old Nov 8, 08, 1:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Well yet another question about a specific forum, how many forums are left in FT just now? Can we just post a list of them all and put YES/NO/DONT know beside them all? Might save some time...hmmmmmm

Ok as for the GLBT forum, no I have not visited it, will I visit it? Doubt it very much, the reason? It does not interest me with regards my travel plans etc, a bit the same as me visiting the Delta Sky Miles forum, I don't collect Skymiles so doubt if I will ever visit that forum.

Does it have a place in FT, yes it does just like a lot of the other forums. As others have stated in answers to this question and other questions, FT is a diverse community.
Old Nov 8, 08, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (but still missing SPG)
Originally Posted by Pizzaman View Post
With as diverse a community as FT is, I couldn't see FT without such a forum.
Ditto. I don't see any issue or any risk that this board would be changed or shuttered, so I'm at a bit of a loss about the OP's question.
Old Nov 8, 08, 2:38 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Was this a rhetorical question, or does someone actually have a proposal in mind to change things?
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Ditto. I don't see any issue or any risk that this board would be changed or shuttered, so I'm at a bit of a loss about the OP's question.
I guess it was a rhetorical question. But where would we be without rhetorical questions?

Old Nov 8, 08, 4:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I guess it was a rhetorical question. But where would we be without rhetorical questions?

Not sure on the answer but if you come back next week then I might have one for you.........

Search this Thread