Question 9: 30-day Suspension

Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:34 am
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

submitted by cblaisd
If there are no TalkBoard Guidelines that address this situation, would you resign from the TalkBoard if you should receive a 30 day suspension that was upheld by Randy?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 9:59 am

Being very blunt I'd probably resign out of shame if I got a 7-say suspension - never mind a 30 day one.

But I just can't see myself getting in that situation. Avoiding getting suspended/banned from a message board (and that's all FT is) isn't a difficult thing to do. I'll be very honest and state that I've never actually read FT's TOS - to my mind it's just a case of being reasonably civil and sensible - as I suspect most FTers haven't.

In terms of my moderation history I think I'm limited to having had 1 our of my near 1,400 posts deleted - not something I'm proud of, but stuff happens. It did teach me a little bit about the TOS though!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:05 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
submitted by cblaisd
If there are no TalkBoard Guidelines that address this situation, would you resign from the TalkBoard if you should receive a 30 day suspension that was upheld by Randy?
As explained in item number 8 of my Question 5 response, I urged the TalkBoard to take the time and effort to come up with a consensus proposal for this issue. Punki agreed on the concept (take these suspensions to Randy, with no action until he rules on them) and I expect the TalkBoard to approve the current proposal unanimously. That would make this question moot.

If I receive a 30 day suspension that is upheld by Randy, I will have certainly lost my mind. And once I lose my mind, who knows what I would do?

Seriously, I would be very ashamed to be suspended at all. I would definitely resign from the TalkBoard if I receive a 30 day suspension that was upheld by Randy, and probably long before then.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:09 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
improbable
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Since I have never even been warned, I can't imagine crossing the line where I'd receive a 30-day suspension.

But let's say I did.

For me to categorically say I'd resign here as part of my campaign would not be honest. I would have to have full, 100%, no question about it confidence in the consistency and the fairness of the process in order to make that kind of pledge.

I don't have that confidence currently, sorry.

However, if I felt I deserved such a thing (and trust me, if it happened, I would know right away whether I felt I deserved it) I would resign, yes.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before answering this question, I just wanted to point out a something...

I voted yes for the current TB Guidelines proposal (which, if/when passed, I hope that all new TB candidates recognize they will be expected to follow).

As to the question, if the suspension were to be upheld by Randy, I'd probably resign. However, if it was a suspension that I truly didn't believe was deserved & it was a suspension that I felt was out of spite, then I'd probably not resign. That said, I don't believe most moderators suspend out of spite - though, I believe some may - however unintentionally they believe it is, some mods seem to look the other way in some cases & focus on technicalities in others.

Just my two cents as a former moderator...
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've had discussions with moderators about events in a forum before. While a small sample, if the conversations I've had with the select few are indicative of global moderator behavior, then something truly egregious happened.

How many times has the public demanded resignation from a politician for breaking the law? While that might not be an apples-to-apples comparison, the principles of that thinking are similar.

Your answer is: yes.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Well if timed right I could combine with a trip to rehab and hope no one would notice.
I would not resign unless asked to do so and if asked would.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:21 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I supported automatic removal of anyone who received a 30-day suspension while serving on TalkBoard. Unfortunately, this version of the guidelines was narrowly defeated.

I would prefer a set of rules that applied to all TalkBoard members instead of seeking to have individual members set their own standards. I find such a practice to be rather lacking, as it does not address behavior problems at all and it makes for a less productive TalkBoard.

I'd resign if I received a 30 day suspension that is not overturned. I wish that were a requirement for all TalkBoard members.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen
submitted by cblaisd
I think this question of one very similar gets asked each year. If I did something that deserved a 30 day suspension then I would certainly have to consider my future as a TB member. I would not automatically hand in my notice, it all depends on why I was suspended. Remember there are a lot of reasons.

Folk will complain about you for lots of reasons. Two years ago I received complaints against me for posting a thank you message for folk that had voted for me in a TB election. If I got suspended for something like that then I would certainly NOT resign.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:50 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Yes - I would resign if I ever got to the 30-day suspension level. However, I find this extremely unlikely since I've never even received a warning before. I'm a moderator so I do see discussions on some mod actions from time to time - and during all my years (about 6), I found less than a handful that I strongly feel that the action was too harsh.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Honestly, I can't imagine a circumstance in which I'd receive a 30-day suspension. I don't think I've ever even received a warning.

I suppose that, if I were to receive a 30-day suspension, it would be over an issue that I felt so strongly about that I'd resign from FlyerTalk, not just the TalkBoard.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:13 pm

I would categorically NOT resign under those circumstances.

An elected body should never be held accountable for actions taken by the unelected moderators. Having served as a moderator, I have firsthand experience and knowledge as to how arbitrary and inconsistent some of the decisions taken by the moderator corps can be.

I maintained that position when I was a moderator (gee, wasn't that a popular position to adopt!!!) and it sure isn't going to change now.

Randy knows very well that if he wants me out of any position, he can simply fire me and we can still remain friends. He's done it before and I don't doubt he would do it again!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 3:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
When the proposal was made that Moderators who received a 30-day suspension should be sacked I was totally in favour of it.

Elected representatives should be held to at least the same standard, and should I ever get a 30-day I would immediately resign.

I believe in this so firmly that it is part of my maifesto.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
In my four years on FlyerTalk i was never suspended, and made the best to abide all rules of the forums.

I think that what makes this community work are the basic guidelines we all follow.

I want to believe that a talk board member who gets suspended should not be a part of talk board. We have to set an example, and we have to follow the rules that we ourselves are part of making.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.