Question 6: Your Presence on TalkBoard

Old Oct 31, 08, 1:18 pm
Founder of FlyerTalk
Original Poster

Question 6: Your Presence on TalkBoard

submitted by Cholula
We have 25 excellent candidates running for just 4 open TB positions this year and making a choice will be difficult.
To assist us in this choice, please tell us how your presence on TalkBoard will improve FlyerTalk.
Old Oct 31, 08, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm an news and information junkie. My method is to provide input through means other than feeling obligated to do something or just skimming the topics board. Something could come to your mind when you least expect it -- even the tiniest of details you might experience on one board can blossom into an idea or thought that could benefit not only just that forum, but FT globally.
Old Oct 31, 08, 1:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Priority Club RA, Lots of other cards
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen View Post
submitted by Cholula
We have 25 excellent candidates running for just 4 open TB positions this year and making a choice will be difficult.
To assist us in this choice, please tell us how your presence on TalkBoard will improve FlyerTalk.
My presence alone will NOT improve FlyerTalk. TalkBoard is a collective and its upto them to decide and vote on things which is in the interest of the FT community. So basically its a team and there is no "I" in Team.
Old Oct 31, 08, 1:31 pm

Talkboard is dominated by moderators. A former moderator such as myself (who was fired for not toeing the party line) contributes both the experience and understanding that moderators bring to the table, as well as the independence that a serving mod simply doesn't have.
Old Oct 31, 08, 2:12 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Radioman View Post
My presence alone will NOT improve FlyerTalk. TalkBoard is a collective and its upto them to decide and vote on things which is in the interest of the FT community. So basically its a team and there is no "I" in Team.
I pretty much agree totally with the addition that I will listen and not argue as much as some have in the past. Also, we should try to get more members involved in voicing opinions to help guide Flyertalk in "new" directions.
Old Oct 31, 08, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm a believer in a "For the people, by the people" concept. I believe that the TalkBoard is here to push FlyerTalk in a direction that is of the greater good for all its members, not necessarily just those who are actively posting in the TB forum.

I consider myself to be a fair & rational person who is willilng to go against the grain when time warrants it. I've served as a moderator in the past (unlike B747-437B from his post above though, I was not fired, I resigned due to a job change where I felt I wasn't able to best serve the members in extremely active fora that I was moderating). I've also spent 2 years at a TB member and have acted as a voice of reason on the TB & followed up on members interests.

I have been "Joe the FlyerTalker" in the sense that when I started as a newbie several years ago, I only traveled once ever few years, via plane, and collected my miles through credit cards & Sprint cell phone service in a salaried job with limited financial resources. Then, I was a weekly business traveler for 3 years, going all over North America & parts of Latin America earning top elite status in multiple programs. Now, I'm back at a desk job where I'll have occassional travel.

So, that said, I understand the needs of FTers in most walks of life & whether they are the weekly road warriors or the occassional business/leisure traveler, I understand what their needs are & can relate.
Old Oct 31, 08, 4:13 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Another good question (and not just because you're my fellow OMNI-mod).

I've served on boards as a trustee and director in the past. I've received feedback from these roles that I was always a valuable member in terms of intelligent discourse and leading a productive discussion. I hope to be able to provide both to TB, helping facilitate solid, informative discussions of the issues.
Old Oct 31, 08, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA - GL, Disgruntled ex LH HON
I have much less posts then most candidates running for talk board - even though it seems that quite a few of the candidates just like i have joined in late October 2004.

Experience as a poster (luerker of course is a completely different story) aside, i am sure that i'm alone will not make any change to the talk board as a single person.

BUT, I am positive that i can contribute much from my experience from many years of weekly long-haul travel, being a member of most frequent flyer programs, holding an Airline Transport Pilot license, being a flight instructor and working daily as the owner of an internet marketing firm. True, all these bear no direct connection to FlyerTalk but i do believe experience is key and it's something i can bring if elected as a member of talk board.

I'm very passionate about contributing and helping improving this wonderful community and would give from my time, experience and knowledge to help FT in any way i can as member of the talk board.
Old Oct 31, 08, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I represent a moderate view point on most issues, and have never let myself get drawn into the personal disputes that, I think, have characterized a significant amount of interaction, both on TalkBoard and FlyerTalk generally. Both professionally and personally, I am good at reaching compromises that account for the interests of all parties and I think the fact that I count as FT friends both OMNIcons and OMNIlibs attests to my ability to be reasonable and look beyond labels. I have no qualms, however, about calling someone out if I think they are wrong, but I will always have specific reasons for doing so.

Again, my focus is on FlyerTalk as a community -- one that is diverse and represents a multiplicity of views, all united by a common passion for travel.
Old Oct 31, 08, 6:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Wild Wild Life, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
My continued presence on TalkBoard will improve FlyerTalk through my positive input and ability to work and play well with others. TalkBoard does not act as 9 people with the same opinion, but as 9 people who should have FlyerTalk's best interests and the interests of the membership at heart. At times they will disagree, but if they work together, the FlyerTalk community will benefit.

I am one of nine with FlyerTalk's best interests and the best interests of the membership at heart. As a representative of the community and a good steward of FlyerTalk, I will work with my colleagues to fulfill my philosophy of continuous improvement for FlyerTalk.
Old Oct 31, 08, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT GLD, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
My presence alone will not be an improvement.

The difference I would make is more in presenting another perspective in the discussions.

I'm a FT member for about 3.5 years now and gained alot of experience from fellow FlyerTalker's that I would like to offer others if they can use it. It is my belief that if you put the philosophy of "Give & Take" in place then FlyerTalk will continue to grow and let's all members benefit from the community.

One person alone can never be of such a significance than the whole team !
Old Nov 1, 08, 3:33 am
GK

Programs: reformed ex basic Member
succinctness
Old Nov 1, 08, 4:04 am

My pitch to FTers in my bid to join TalkBoard is that I am capable of good judgement and will stick to considering proposals based simply on whether said proposal is a good idea or not rather than going down the 'high school debate' and the 'TB politics' route. As such I think I'd make a good TB member - but that said it's a question for the members to decide on when casting their votes!

And may I just say what an intelligent and insightful individual Cholula is, clearly evidence in referring to me as an excellent candidate!
Old Nov 1, 08, 6:42 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
My pitch is pretty simple:

- No more votes like Mission to the World where a TalkBoard approved charity who calls for the death of gay people is allowed to solicit funds on FT.
- Proper research before decisions are made.
- Work to make contact with the thousands of people who stop by FT once in a while and don't know about the issues on TB, and perhaps need to know why it matters sometimes.
- Holding TB members accountable for their actions.
Old Nov 1, 08, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (but still missing SPG)
I would like to guide TB in a direction so that it can help Randy and IB become more influential in the FFPs that we all participate in.

I am watching all the industry changes and wonder -- how could we do something proactive and influence this rather than sit back and just take it every time the programs devalue us? Perhaps this is outside the scope of the TB, and FT, even, but it is something that we must try to do, whether it's just contacting the people in charge of the loyalty programs and trying to subtly influence decisions or setting up chats so we can give them direct feedback on how we feel about their programs.

I would also be there to represent the general member. The member who posts on OMNI. The member who only posts in one board cause there's only one program they care about. The member who feels FT is more about community than just the maximization of points and miles.

Do I bring anything unique? Probably not. But I bring a person who would try to listen carefully and would work tirelessly to leave FT better than I found it.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: